PDA

View Full Version : gaining mass

taltos
11-07-2002, 11:22 AM
This isn't a WC question 100%, but here goes...

I'm scrawny. Like, really skinny. I'm trying to gain mass and muscle (not to be a huge muscle-bound hulk, but to gain the health and athletic benefits that a fit and healthy-sized muscle structure would impart). I was wondering if anyone else had experienced/overcome this problem, and in light of the relaxation and "looseness" that WC requires, how they were able to balance things out (I mean, gain size and strength without "stiffening up" or losing flexibility).

Thanks in advance for the input.

-Levi

yenhoi
11-07-2002, 12:55 PM
IF you want to get 'bigger' then eat more food.

From a time and energy economy standpoint, concerning wing chun kung fu - CHAIN PUNCHES, FORMS, AND STANCE.

You wont get big, but you will fill in and fill out. Thats all you really "need."

As always good diet, good rest, and good training are what is recomended.

IronFist
11-07-2002, 01:15 PM
Training forum.

IronFist

rubthebuddha
11-07-2002, 02:17 PM
i love having ironfist on my payroll.

:D

JK Walz
11-07-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey Levi!

You need to work out but still practice as much as you do now.

I would suggest you try a three day a week, general body weight program and take protein and complex carbs directly after the workout. You'll bulk up that way for sure.....you could always hang out more with Vato...he has a lot of mass to spare! ;)

JK

sweaty_dog
11-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Carbs in the morning, protein at night, simple sugar (glucose) after a workout, lift weights three times a week, put on some fat to help the muscle along. If you are naturally an "ectomorph" (a skinny guy, like me) you will never get huge, but you can get strong and have some solid muscle that will help you prevent injuries. If you do a lot of running this can stop you putting on bulk so you might have to consider that. Also remember to stretch a lot before after and between sets... muscle doesn't have to make you slow.

dfl
11-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Try to run very fast.
Everybody knows matter gains mass as velocity increases.
This should be especially obvious to peolpe who dabble with space and time.

taltos
11-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Seeing as how I didn't mention time and space, HFY, or anything of that nature in my original post, and I try my hardest to refrain from opinon-based, non-productive statements, I'll go ahead and assume you were joking and not trying to start a fight where there is none through sarcasm. Please let me know if I'm wrong in this assumption, although I hope it was all in good fun.

-Levi

desertwingchun2
11-07-2002, 07:15 PM
Sihing JK ... I owe you 1 ! :D

canglong
11-08-2002, 09:40 AM
".....you could always hang out more with Vato...he has a lot of mass to spare!" JK

I have noticed that he is selfish with all that mass and not likely to share any anytime soon.:D

quiet man
11-08-2002, 10:37 AM
I don't think you have to gain weight at all. I mean, look at your average HK WC master: 5 feet, 100 pounds, and he would kick any a5s twice his weight :D . It's all in the skill... besides, when you grow old, you'll probably lose weight, but the skill will remain.
Regarding balance between weight gain and flexibility, I would recommend stretching, stretching, and more stretching.

Chango
11-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Hey big guys can be fast and flexible! :D LOL!

Keep in mind Levi you want a program that you can live with and continue!

Chango (saat geng sau)

taltos
11-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Excellent points, and I truely appreciate them all. Thanks for all the help.

Sibok Chango... definately true that it must be something I maintain (a lifestyle change), and about your statement "Hey big guys can be fast and flexible" I say this...

YOU'RE PREACHING TO THE CHOIR. My legs STILL HURT from your last visit. :)

-Levi

reneritchie
11-11-2002, 08:55 AM
Hi Levi,

Regardless of the cliches, being healthy, including having good muscle tone, can be a great asset in avoiding injury, and maximizing your training potential, so I think its definately a worthy endeavor (though many of us love WCK with a passion, there are still things beyond it, which help us keep the balance in our lives).

Anyway, the basics seem to be take in more food (calories) than you burn off (in workout) and make them as high quality as you can. I personally prefer to eat lots of fruits and veggies with some lean protein and some wholesome carbs. Some people (Tobey Macguire for Spiderman being a recent famous example) seem to be able to pack on quality muscle on a vegetarian diet, some meat is far more the norm, especially after weight training. Some people also eliminate complex carbs altogether, but I believe this has bad long term side effects (including negative effects to the brain), and especially for weight gain, good carbs like whole weat bread, pasta, rice, etc. are good.

I personally currently prefer body weight exercises to weight training, but for mass gaining, weights would probably be faster. I'm not a fan of creatine, or supplements in general, but you'll probably need a good weight gainer shake if you're training hard to make up the calorie deficit without sacrificing cardio.

And, though it probably doesn't need to be said, stay away from the steroids. Tons of people do them, and they make quick gains, but in the end, they aren't worth the negative side effects.

RR

Ras-Tanu
11-11-2002, 09:46 AM
This bodybuilding site (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/) helped me out alot. Check it out.

IronFist
11-11-2002, 05:12 PM
While I usually don't reply to these topics out of the training forum, I must add that there is absolutely no reason to eliminate carbs if you are trying to gain mass.

IronFist