PDA

View Full Version : Dit Da Jow

yenhoi
11-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Why does it work? What is it doing to me? Why does it smell so bad?

omarthefish
11-10-2002, 10:30 PM
I'd like to add a question.

Any recipes out there? I need standard pinyin names for herbs or proper latin so I can look them up and get the Chiense names. I live in China and want to make a batch.

Mckind13
11-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Hi..

In short it helps break uip stagnation of blood and Chi in the area.

Why does it smell, taste, look so bad...b'cause it comes from natural plants with no intentions of being madicinal on there own. (hehe)

As for a standard recipie, try

http://www.chusaulei.com/health/006_jow.html

Thanks!

David

TaoBoy
11-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Dit Da 'pushes the blood' - meaning it removes the blood stagnation (i.e. bruises).

Here are some recipes: http://www.kumojiujitsu.com/jow_recipe.html.

Mckind13
11-13-2002, 01:34 AM
Good recipes but as it says in the article I referenced, you cannot really go by a standard formula.

Find an herbalist who can help adjust it.

David

dfedorko@mindspring.com
11-13-2002, 02:28 PM
Try Brian Gray's Jow. I have heard from other Herbalist that his jow is one that is balanced and very theraputic. Have a good day.

Nexus
11-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Wing Chun Dit Da Jow:

http://www.wingchun.org/text/misc/jow.html

azwingchun
11-15-2002, 09:07 AM
I have about 7 recipes of jow, if you are interested just e-mail me and I would be more than happy to send one to you.;)

guohuen
11-15-2002, 10:28 AM
Just to be a fly in the ointment.:p There's also sort of a placebo effect like the old yellow triaminic. This is so discusting that I had better get well so I don't have to take it again.
I'm only half joking.

omarthefish
11-15-2002, 06:17 PM
azwingchun,

I'd love recipes.

To those who suggested web links,

I repeat: I need standard pinyin names for herbs or proper latin so I can look them up and get the Chinese names.

I am good at websurfing to find this stuff on my own but just on the English language sites. I live in CHINA and if I can't figure out the actual authentic Chinese names I can't buy the stuff. Ordering inline and having stuff shipped is also problematic. When I lived in the States I used to buy the little bottles my Sifu made himself. My current Sifu doesn't make dit da jow.

Why does it work? What is it doing to me? Why does it smell so bad?

Don't know. It is disbursing stagnant qi and speeding healing of minor traumas. All Chinese medicine smells bad. (I like the smell actually)

omarthefish
11-15-2002, 06:22 PM
p.s.

I've already got the recipe from http://www.wingchun.org/text/misc/jow.html

On my own I figured out the Chinese for most of the herbs but am still stuck on 2 of them.

Artemesia and Catechu.

The pinyin is accurate but there is still the matter of tones.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
11-16-2002, 06:07 AM
Chinese for Artemesia/Anomala (Herba Artemisiae Anomalae) is liu ji nu. This herb dispels blood stasis and alleviates pain. The Chinese for Catechu (Pasta Acaciae seu Uncariae) is er cha and it is a paste made from Acacia (Black Cutch) or Uncaria (White Cutch). This herb stops the bleeding of external injuries. Hope this helps.

azwingchun
11-16-2002, 01:37 PM
I just sent you 2 recipes, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.;)

omarthefish
11-16-2002, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys.

azwingchun, I always seem to get the most help on dit da jow from wingchun guys. Thank you.

dfe****o,
The additional info is helpfull but without tones, the pinyin you gave me is still not enough. I wasn't able to find the characters in any of the several dictionaries I own or in my computer software. Fortunately a local physician helped me figure out the last two.

Intersting thing about one of the formulas. I bought all the ingredients but one yesterday for the following formula:

BORNEAL = 񗒪
CARTHAMUS = ºì»¨
CINNIBAR = ÖìÉ°
CIRSIUM = ´ó¼»
DRAGONSBLOOD = Ѫ½ß
MASTIC = ÈéÏã £¨AKA FRANKINSENSE£©
MUSK = ÷êÏã
MYRHH =Ä©Ò©
PINELLIA = Ê£°ëÏÄ

ARTEMESIA = Áõ¼ÄÅ«C
ATECHA = ¶ù²è

Musk or 'shexiang' is REALLY expensive and hard to find. I spent 27 yuan or about 3 dollars on the rest of them. The Doctor warned me that if I find 'shexiang' being sold at some larger herb shop I should be prepared to spend 2 or 3 hunder yuan just for 1 gram ! ! ! That's about 30$ / gram ! This stuff costs more than humbolt's finest herb ! He said it was a key ingredient as it is what helps the medicine penetrate.

Oh, well. I've got some shopping to do.

p.s. If your browser has a bunch of gobbledygook next to the herb names above it's probably because it cant recognize the Chinese font I used.

azwingchun
11-17-2002, 09:06 AM
If you want a great book for Chinese herbs and their medicinal properties you should get Chinese English Manual of Common-Used in Traditional Medicine , THE ISBN 7-5359-2419-0.;)

dfedorko@mindspring.com
11-24-2002, 08:20 AM
I checked out the herbs for the Wing Chun recipe and She Xiang is very expensive - $45.00/gram or $1,260.00/ounce so I am going to substitue Bing Pian. They are both in the same family because they are both aromatic, open orifices, promote Qi flow and circulation. Happy Turkey everyone.

omarthefish
12-01-2002, 09:55 PM
In the recipe I plan to use, both she xiang and bing pian are called for. She xiang is apparently a key ingredient because it helps the medicine penetrate. It's not only for breaking up stagnation and so on.

It's pricey because the animal it comes from (some sort of deer type creature) is not raised in farms and can only be harvested from the wild. It's more fairly common in northeastern China but not here in the northwest. I've contacted a couple guys with friends who live in that area in the countryside. Maybe some peasant hunter will get lucky and bag a 'she' and sell me some of it's 'xiang' :confused:

I still cant get over how expensive it is.

phil
12-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Omar, can I ask what you intend to use the dit da for? I saw in some of your threads that you train in baji, does your baji training include iron palm, or is to handle the bumps and bruises as your banging your body against trees and such? Sorry to be nosey, just curious :)

Phil

omarthefish
12-04-2002, 07:07 AM
I train in Baji now but I trained in Hung-gar for the previous 8 or 9 years and I just got used to the stuff. Besides, I like to hit things. :) If I go for too long with out hitting a heavy bag my arms itch. I've found that with the recent Baji training, my hitting power has gone up and my forearms and hands are getting real sore, especially because I use wraps but no padded gloves and prefer to work on the lower, really hard part of the bag.

I typically have to lay off my bag routine before I'm satisfied because my forearms can't take it.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
12-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Hey Guy -

You might want to try Brian Gray's Dit Da Jow. It is very theraputicespecially for aches and pains. Hope this helps.

omarthefish
12-04-2002, 06:09 PM
hey guy,

Where I live, the shipping will cost more than the jow.

:cool: