PDA

View Full Version : Question about eating beef

IronFist
11-07-2002, 09:05 PM
About 4 years ago, I gave up eating red meat for various reasons. I had heard a lot of stuff about how red meat is the hardest thing for your body to digest, how pieces of it remain in your intestines forever, etc. I still ate meat (poultry, fish, pork, etc.), just not red meat (cow).

Anyway, this went on for like 4 years, and every once in a while I'd eat something with beef in it (like once a year or so).

So, a few weeks ago I went to lunch with some friends in between classes and we went to Wendy's. I decided it was time for some beef again so I had two double cheese burgers and some chicken nuggets (not beef, but only $.99!). Now, for me, this is NOT an overly large meal or anything. In fact, it's quite normal sized. But I remember for the rest of the day I was so exhausted.

Today, I ate the same thing for lunch, and I'm so freaking tired tonight it's not even funny.

Two factors, however. I did have a hard workout two days ago, and it was my first weight lifting session in 9 days or so, so that might account for part of my fatigue, but it was TWO days ago so I'm thinking not really.

So do you think it's the beef that I ate? Is my body like "oh crap!" because it's having to digest something that I haven't eaten in a while, and is the stuff in the first paragraph true? (that it's hard to digest?).

I just think it's weird that two random days when I have two double cheese burgers I get incredibly exhausted as the day goes on.

What do you think?

IronFist

Serpent
11-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Red meat is very hard to digest, and people in the west eat way too much. I've heard that most westerners have anything up to a kilo (2.2lbs) of undigested red meat coccooned in a muscous membrane in their gut because the body can't process it.

So red meat rarely (once every week or two at most) is plenty.

As for making you tired, I dunno. Maybe.

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 09:13 PM
It's probably got more to do with the fact that you ate two double cheeseburgers rather than the fact that you ate a beef product. Go and treat yourself to a big, juicy steak and see how that goes.

I'm sure beef does take a big longer to digest than the other foods you mentioned and due to the fact that your body ain't used to it, this may cause your drowsiness. But, the cheeseburgers will probably cause more problems than anything else.

IronFist
11-07-2002, 09:41 PM
What's the problem with cheese burgers? I eat pizza all the time so I assume cheese burgers aren't much worse. :confused:

IronFist

rubthebuddha
11-07-2002, 09:44 PM
iron -- you're just too fat, admit it.

;)

IronFist
11-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.

IronFist

dezhen2001
11-07-2002, 10:18 PM
iron: dont have as much detail as u for things, but i have noticed eating certian things do make me feel a little more sluggish and tired than others...

as for beef: im a student so no way can i afford steak! :p and i wouldnt call a double cheeseburger beef either :D

dawood

Qi dup
11-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
. I had heard a lot of stuff about how red meat is the hardest thing for your body to digest, how pieces of it remain in your intestines forever, etc.

Er?

Well hell Iron, I don't know. To bad Inic isn't here, he'd have something to say about this. Honestly this sounds like one of the questions I'd ask you:) I'm gonna go with taoboy on this one though. Last year before a game I had two big macks (which isn't a large meal for me either) and I felt like crap the whole game! probably my worst game of the year. From what I know those big macks and such have so much crap in them that the make you quite bloted and can be hard to diggest. However, I like a good hamburger now and then, and these things don't seem to affect me. As for beef staying in your system forever, well... nah, I don't think so. I have heard that FOR SOME PEOPLE, it can line the walls of there intestines and they can go on these programs and crap it all out in one two foot long log. I think Ford Perfect brought out on the other forum that fiber is key here.

dezhen2001
11-07-2002, 10:31 PM
one two foot long log

im sorry but that just scared the crap outta me :eek:

dawood

SevenStar
11-07-2002, 10:43 PM
I've never had a wendy's burger. usually when I tell people that, they are like :eek: , but it's true.

Anyway, as for your question, I had a similar experience. I gave up greasy and fattening foods - pizza, burgers, fries, etc. I've since started eating them again, but went without for a few years. One summer I went to visit my cousin and while I was there, I had some KFC. I got sick as a dog. my guess was that the greasy food made me sick since I wasn't used to it. the next night, I got kfc again, from a different location - I got sick again. I think you not eating beef for a while may have something to do with your tiredness.

TaoBoy
11-07-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
What's the problem with cheese burgers? I eat pizza all the time so I assume cheese burgers aren't much worse. :confused:

IronFist

Saturated fat and processed sugar.
These are worse for the body than beef.

Qi dup
11-07-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I've never had a wendy's burger.
:eek:

Yeah man, kfc will kill ya!

Daniel Madar
11-07-2002, 10:51 PM
The tired effect is less related to how hard it is to digest beef and more related to the relative protein/complex/simple carbohydrate balance of your meal.

prana
11-08-2002, 01:22 AM
but cheeseburgers are vegetarian arent they :D

why Mcelse would I recycle old Paper ? :p

No seriously, high oil content makes it difficult to break down so a lot of energy is stuck in your gut trying to break it down. Maybe that is why, hehehe and the preservative is probly making it even harder.

TkdWarrior
11-08-2002, 01:51 AM
too much gas dude... :D ;) :p
-TkdWarrior-

IronFist
11-08-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by TaoBoy

Saturated fat and processed sugar.
These are worse for the body than beef.

Haha, speak for yourself. If I didn't eat such things I'd be so skinny no one could see me :)

IronFist

Former castleva
11-08-2002, 03:57 AM
Also post this at health forums,which is not very usual though. :)

Just to wrap up a few things Iīve collected from some reliable sources.
I think in TCM view or similar,it has been mentioned that red meat may cause "confusion" (I donīt know too much of this)
Then there is often notable amount of fat,if cooked in a certain way,cancer related etc. ingredients will pop out.
Besides that,red meat is supposed to be more likely to be contaminated than other products,which is a worthy point too I guess.
Personally I believe in light,"white" meat like chicken products which should be allright,and fish.
If you must eat meat,I think it is best to keep it in stable amounts.

Merryprankster
11-08-2002, 04:11 AM
People make way too much of a big deal about what they eat. Just eat for crissakes. You'll figure out what you like and don't like and what likes you.

Arhat of Fury
11-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Iron,
This is a classic example of putting bad gas in your car(you). I agree that the sat. fats and processed sugars are whats making you tired.

Also, remeber adaptations and your body, it doesnt just work for your muscles. If you havent eaten meat in a long time let alone a burger, your body is not going to recognize how break down and distribute right away.

I have had cases where I dont eat fast food at all and I have gone to Carls Jr. and eaten a burger and felt sick the rest of the day. I beleive its your body not recognizing the chemicals that are in the food and not knowing how to breakdown(enzymes)

AOF

Budokan
11-08-2002, 10:35 AM
MP is spot on. This over analyzing of food can get pretty ridiculous real fast. Just eat and work out. You'll be fine.

Budokan
11-08-2002, 10:37 AM
"If you havent eaten meat in a long time let alone a burger, your body is not going to recognize how break down and distribute right away."

That's a ridiculous statement.

GeneChing
11-08-2002, 10:43 AM
Check out Diet for a New America by John Robbins and Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Former castleva
11-08-2002, 10:44 AM
These days,many think of diet seriously.
I think itīs allright,if you take it there,it wonīt do any harm for sure.

Arhat of Fury
11-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Budokan,
When you cook on a frying pan. Do you use oil or butter? Which is better for you? Why?

I rest my case, thanks for coming out tonight.:cool:

AOF

IronFist
11-08-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Arhat of Fury
Iron,
This is a classic example of putting bad gas in your car(you). I agree that the sat. fats and processed sugars are whats making you tired.

Ok, that's all good, except I eat a bunch sat. fats and sugars every day. Pizza is a staple in my diet, as is fried chicken, etc. In other words, saturated fats are no stranger to my body. Unless the fats in the burgers are somehow different, then it's not that.

IronFist

Arhat of Fury
11-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Iron,

Wow! That kinda amazes me, is there a certain reason that you eat like that. Its surprising that someone so knowledgeable(sp) that doesnt apply the knowledge. (This is obviously unless you have a condition or specific reasoning)

Regarding your tiredness, I will have to look at the exact nutritional values of the burger to come up with a educated guess.

I do know that if you are eating those foods you are not giving your body the right foods to operate at its peak. A more balanced diet may increase your physical performance.

Channel 5 just did or should I say re-did a study on saturated fats rating them your bodies number 1 enemy. In fact I beleive they stated that you dont need them at all. Fat-yes, saturated fats-no.

What else did you do the day you experienced the tiredness. Also, what did you eat(or not eat) the day before this?

AOF

SaMantis
11-08-2002, 12:37 PM
I've experienced similar problems with eating a fast food cheeseburger after avoiding that type of food for a long period of time.

With the cheeseburger, you're dealing with the lowest grade of beef, (highest fat content, lowest nutritional content) which was ground up with soy filler (to increase the nutritional content) and "other" fillers as well as a huge amount of salt and other preservatives, stamped into a patty, flash-frozen and stored for up to two years before being slapped onto a grill.

Then it's placed between two pieces of the whitest white bread ever made (wheat flour processed so that only the tiny white center of the kernel is used, which has the least nutritional value, then bleached to make it even whiter, which strips away the remaining nutrients), slathered with ketchup and mustard and topped with a pickle.

Basically, you're eating chemical soup shaped like a burger. You'd get more nutritional value if you scraped the ketchup and mustard onto the pickle, ate that, and tossed the burger and bun.

If you don't believe me -- eat another Wendy's burger and note how you feel. Then make a burger at home from 90% lean ground sirloin from the store (bun optional), and notice the difference.

Merryprankster
11-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Arhat--some of us don't care.

However, what fat I use depends entirely on what effect I'm trying to create. I would never try to smooth/shine a sauce with olive oil. I would never deep-fry in butter. I would use peanut oil for high heat applications and I would use canola to cook foods that I didn't want to change the flavor of.

Some of us eat less crap because we make our food interesting and eat it in moderate amounts. It's got nothing to do with what oil you're using, unless you use the stuff by the cupful

ewallace
11-08-2002, 01:39 PM
This is a classic example of putting bad gas in your car(you).
So that's what that strange knocking sound is when I walk down the road after eating Taco Bell on Taco Sunday. :)

Arhat of Fury
11-08-2002, 01:48 PM
MerryP,

Thanks for the reply, the point I was trying to make was that oil is better for you than Butter because of the fact that butter is emulsified fats which is manufactured fats. Your body has a harder time processing this rather than oil because of its foreign qualities. This taken in at large amounts can cause tiredness if the body is not used to processing these types.

I was adressing Budokan because he made a statement saying what I wrote was "ridiculous" when in fact adaptation is big part not only in working out but in eating as well.

Good Discussion

ewallace- thats pinging from low octane?LMAO

:D

AOF

Budokan
11-08-2002, 02:25 PM
Sorry, but your comment that the body might have a hard time recognizing and forgetting how to process certain foods *is* a ridiculous one.

"If you havent eaten meat in a long time let alone a burger, your body is not going to recognize how break down and distribute right away."

You've got to be f*cking kidding me. A human who has never eaten meat his entire life finally gets the chance. Are you telling me his body will be UNABLE to process a chicken leg because he's never eaten same? That kind of Lamarkian thinking was discredited long ago. Guess you didn't get the memo.

and this gem:

"I beleive its your body not recognizing the chemicals that are in the food and not knowing how to breakdown(enzymes)"

I know this comes as a shock to your world-view, but the human body does not carry cell or enzyme memory encoded to help it "recognize" nutrients. Your body doesn't have to remember how to process the nutrients of an apple and it can't forget same.

As to your other point about oil and butter...uh, what's your point exactly? Which one I use is dependent upon what dish I'm preparing at the time. I use olive oil to fry garlic, onions and celery (the Holy Trinity we cajuns call it) when preparing a creole dish. I use vegetable oil to fry chicken which has been soaking in buttermilk overnight. I use butter to fry eggs, for one example regarding butter. Peanut and canola are used for other culinary dishes.

MP is still right. Some of us are more interested in preparing a dish properly and then eating moderate amounts of same rather than obsessing over what types of oils (emulsified or hydrogenated or not) it contains, and whether or not our bodies will be able to "recognize" a hamburger.

By the by, I'm having sausage pizza later tonight. Hope my stomach remembers how to process pizza!

:D

Ford Prefect
11-08-2002, 02:47 PM
I don't think it's the beef. It's the greasy, saturated fat-filled burger you're eating.

Arhat of Fury
11-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Fair enough,

Replace "hard time recognising" with " difficult time efficiently processing"

Have you ever noticed when you eat several different kinds of foods versus when you eat just one kind of food, in one sitting of course- both in the same amounts. It will take your body longer to process the plate of several different kinds because different enzymes breakdown different kinds of food. When you bombard your body with different kinds or (foreign) foods your body has to send the correct enzymes down to break this down. Sometimes your body can reject these foods or overexert itself trying to effectively process them.

Anyway, I was just making a point, Im not really into the ****ing contest thing.
I think you get the jist of what Im saying.

Enjoy your pizza.:D

AOF

IronFist
11-08-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Arhat of Fury
Iron,

Wow! That kinda amazes me, is there a certain reason that you eat like that. Its surprising that someone so knowledgeable(sp) that doesnt apply the knowledge. (This is obviously unless you have a condition or specific reasoning)

There is most definately a reason I eat like that. My metabolism is very fast, and I cannot get the calories I need from eating clean. The volume of clean food required would be too much. So, I have to eat more "unhealthy" foods to get the calories in. So, in essence, I am "applying the knowledge that I have" in order to maintain my weight (approx 170 at 8%bf). I still maintain good ratios of fat/carbs/protein, it's just more overall.

I do know that if you are eating those foods you are not giving your body the right foods to operate at its peak. A more balanced diet may increase your physical performance.

My diet is pretty balanced. I eat a lot of bad food, like pizza and stuff, but it's in addition to a good diet and I make sure that I get all the stuff I need. I often eat a big bowl of vegetables as a snack, too, just to help make sure I get good stuff :)

What else did you do the day you experienced the tiredness. Also, what did you eat(or not eat) the day before this?

Nothing. Same as always. Probably a little sleep deprived (college), but no more than usual. Besides, I felt normal all day until a few hours after eating the double cheeseburgers (this was the case both times).

Hope that helps.

IronFist