PDA

View Full Version : When you play a net game with someone, how do you get their IP?

IronFist
11-07-2002, 09:50 PM
I was just playing Space Ace with this guy and he told me what server I was connected to. That's crazy isht! I know it's some DOS command like tracert or something, but I don't know which one.

Someone help me out :)

IronFist

Xebsball
11-07-2002, 09:59 PM
I belive its ipconfig

peace :cool:

prana
11-08-2002, 01:08 AM
win 2k/nt : netstat -na
win xp: netstat -nao to get your process list associated to your game
linux : netstat -ln

but I dont see how that would give you the server that another person is connected to, it only gives you the stats for his connection with yours if he is connected with you directly.

maybe you're running a games specific protocol that lets you query your friend ? dunno, a proprietry whois <nick> or who or last or something if you have access to the server ?otherwise...

if you are on the non-switched network, you can play with nice tools in unix/linux #tcpdump host <hisIP> or #snoop or download snort sniffer for win32 and see what IP he is sending requests to :)

IronFist
11-08-2002, 02:19 AM
Well I mean he was able to tell me what University I'm connected to the internet through. He was out of the country, too, so it was weird.

Wtf, I'm an IS major. When do I learn this cool stuff? :D

IronFist

SevenStar
11-08-2002, 03:13 AM
ps -fu will show you the processes that a user is running. If you are using a game specific protocol, maybe he could have seen what you were running and went from there.

Drache
11-08-2002, 06:11 AM
He probably just used netstat to figure out the 'foreign address'. If you ran netstat when you were connected to me at school it would probably say something like 'faclib-543.unh.edu'. He wouls not only know that im at UNH, but also that im in the library right now. if he really wanted to he could run it through neotrace and find every server between him and you, including the location of each.

~Drache~