PDA

View Full Version : Judge's Pen

dragon797
11-08-2002, 04:08 PM
Is anyone familiar with weapon called the Judge's Pen? The little info I've found also refers to it as an "Emei Piercer." Does anyone have any background on this weapon, especially to its meaning as the form has a lot a spiritual significance in the moves. I saw where Gene had an article in Sept/Oct 2001 issue that included some information about it, but I don't have that issue.

GeneChing
11-12-2002, 11:15 AM
They are actually two different things. A judges pen is like a kubotan - just a short metal rod with a point like a calligraphy brush - the kubotan is the modern version - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/product---index-75-0.html

We recently ran an article that discussed several weapons, including judges pens:
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=140

An emei piercer is longer, thinner, double ended and spins on a ring - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-069.html

We ran an article on them way back in 2000 for our Emei mountain special issue:
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=124

They are very similar weapons. I've seen judges pens that are double ended, but never with the ring.

dragon797
11-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification and the links Gene. I'll order those back issues.

My instructor said that he learned with a weapon who's end had a spring-loaded type tip that was to be used to inject poison when it hit it's target. He also calls our form "Tu Pi", the Tu being for the poison, but said that it is more often referred to as the "Judge’s Pen"

Our form is made up a nine short sections, starts with a kneeling position, head down and arms raised palm up in front, then we take three steps back, like a Lo Han is preparing to do the "judgment" work for a higher being. The form also includes some motions that could signify the turning a page in a book, like a "judgment day" book and each section ends with a pen strike down over the opposite open hand like you have "selected" the person, evil, or sin to wipe out. It ends with us making strokes with the pen that draw the characters for Song (up) and Tien (sky). (Excuse my poor Chinese phonetics)

Gene, have you ever seen a form like this or others done with the Judge's Pen? Any idea where it may have originated?

GeneChing
11-13-2002, 03:52 PM
I saw a great judges pen demo in Jinan China in '91. Some old master who's name, I'm ashamed to say, I forgot. I don't know much about the origin, nor have I heard much about poison pens (but I love that!) Poison weapons are seldom discussed openly.

Stacey
11-13-2002, 03:55 PM
thats because they are for cowards. People who circle jerk to dungeons and dragons. Weapons in general are for the weak, poison weapons are for the lamest.

Mentioning a poison weapon is like announcing to the world that your kung fu sucks.

Iron Wrist
11-14-2002, 08:33 AM
listen stacey. a weapon is a weapon, be it your hands, feet or sword. in gung fu you use what you can and make do. to say that weapons suck is to let everyone know that your training is incomplete. keep training. Tao;)

Kid Couteau
11-14-2002, 10:27 AM
So if a guy points a gun at me and I have a poison dart that could do the job I am supposed to let him kill me because of honor

Wrong answer pal

With respect

Kid Couteau

GeneChing
11-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Actually the tradition of poison in MA is very interesting, but definately part of dark society, not really spoken of. The Chinese really knew their poisons - a lot came out of taoist external alchemy and the quest for the 'dan' or immortality pill. Most of those pills were just poison, which is why most alchemy moved internal - thus the root of a lot of qigong.

I took a seminar from Stephen Hayes when I was young (I know, I know, ninjas.) One thing I remember from his seminar was that the old school shuriken were dirty. It was a reaction to a comment I had made about a product that was on the market back then called the blossom - it was this 440 stanless collapsible shuriken that was retailling for around $40. I'm not going to throw away a $40 star. I want to throw away a cheap star. If' I'm going to throw something, it's be my pocket change - the pennies first. Anyway Hayes said that old ninjas used to leave their shurikens out in the yard to get nice and rusty. This was before the tetanus shot, so poisons were easier to come by, just let it rust. That always stuck with me (pun intended) - it also gives me an excuse to post this: http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/tck-hh003.html

HopGar
11-14-2002, 01:21 PM
I read about a similar looking weapon it looks like your weapon falls under Ba Gua and Tai Shing Pek Kwar. As for the poison bit, I dont anything about it.

(BTW, I'm still in Israel, I am keeping safe, am studying alot and enjoying myself. I'll be back in the US around june, if you actually care)

Peace Y'all

dragon797
11-14-2002, 02:04 PM
I was told that the strength of the poison would be given a numerical "monkey" rating, the number being how many trees that a monkey, struck by the poison, could jump between before he fell from the effects. Thus a 'three" rated poison would allow the monkey to jump between three trees before he fell. A "one" rated poison.... instant.

GeneChing
11-14-2002, 02:51 PM
I remember when I was in Costa Rica and was confronted by a fer-de-lance. They called it a two-stepper, because after it bite you, you got two steps before you died.

@PLUGO
11-14-2002, 03:23 PM
While I was traveling in Africa our bus was stopped by the crossing of a tribe of baboons, the last of which was a HUGE greenish Alpha Male who stopped in the middle of the street as if to say...

<Hulk Voice>What!?! you lookin' at puney Human?</Hulk Voice>

Thank goodness for that bus, 'cause I don't think that Baboon would have ran away if struck by a poisonous dart (http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?martialartsmart+T8JppP+45-076.html)...

And that poison had BETTER be instant!!!
:eek: :( :eek: