PDA

View Full Version : Hip pain and throws

icebear
11-10-2002, 10:30 AM
Hi all
I was here a few weeks ago with my bum shoulder, thanks to all the good advice it almost okay now:)

But I have a new question for you (it seems that MA equals some sort of injury all of the time?) I fell off my bike last tuesday (ice), landed on my side felt it in my neck and hipjoint..but it passed (so I thought) But at training today, being thrown hard the whole hiparea REALLY hurt. Adjusting my breakfalls helped some (spreading the legs more), but normally this shouldn't be a problem anyway. Should I stay away from throws for awhile? and how long? Will it help to ice it? Ibuprofen? Is biking an okay activity?

Thanks!

SevenStar
11-10-2002, 11:11 AM
I would stay away from thrown for awhile. Since I don't know the extent of injury you may have suffered from the bike accident, I can't really say how long. every other week or so, try some throws and see if it's still uncomfortable. If you aren't doing anything to aggravate the hip, you probably won't need ibuprofen. Biking should be fine.

MA doesn't equal injury all the time, although some people are more prone to it. A friend and I were in longfist together for 4 years, and although he's very good, he stayed injured. Now, we both do bjj, and still, he keeps an injury. It's rare for me to get one, and I also train judo, where I can be hurt if I fall improperly. when I was fighting full contact I never sustained an injury either.

icebear
11-14-2002, 04:15 AM
I have stayed away from training alltogheter for about four days (that feels very long..) because I've also experienced some problems with walking and standing on one foot while kicking, pain on the outside area of the hip. I'll try some light throws this weekend, but I'll have to discuss it with my instructor ... which I dread because he's got this "fragile women/macho guys" thing going, and I have also experienced a bit of fear of being thrown (which mostly have passed..)..

SevenStar
11-14-2002, 09:35 PM
throw that macho crap out the window - if you are having pain like that, you need to see the doc.