PDA

View Full Version : good cheap san shou gear

Stacey
11-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Know where I can buy some for me and all my friends? We want to start an inter martial arts school club.

LEGEND
11-10-2002, 07:40 PM
www.realmartialarts.com

Cipher
11-11-2002, 08:41 AM
There was one site that sold San Shou gear for a really good price. It would be great for training. I am trying to find if I can I'll post it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and they have the URL please post it. It was all red color but cheap prices.

GeneChing
11-12-2002, 11:08 AM
If you have a resale license, we can give you a great deal - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/sparringgear.html

lkfmdc
11-12-2002, 12:37 PM
no offense Gene, but that is not san shou gear

LEGEND
11-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Agreed with IKFMDC...
That's point fighting gear...
You may want to check out FAIRTEK stuff...Kwons...etc...

ShaolinTiger00
11-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Fairtex, Ringside, Title, Twins,Everlast, Reyes, Aries, Windy, etc..etc..

GeneChing
11-12-2002, 04:31 PM
But I think you all might be confusing san shou gear with muay thai gear. As it stands, there are no internationally enforced rules for san shou gear. There might be various standards enforced at any individual tournament, but nothing standard. Take China for example. If you've ever seen what they train with in China, well, their gear is minimal. The level of protection is so meager, far less then what you might call point sparring gear. For a real standard, an international governing body would have to set up some kind of certification level and all the manufacturers would have to submit their gear to this criteria. Fencing, for example, has the FIE and for international competition, all your gear must be FIE certified. Right now, the international economy of martial arts can't really afford such a luxury, so any classification of gear as being for a particular art is rather subjective and arbitrary. A lot is determined by your own personal comfort level. Also, it's worhty of note that foam based protective gear is really expensive to manufacture anywhere but in 3rd world countries and Asia. In Asia, the standards are pretty low. We often have to destory shipments of gear becuase they are not up to spec. The smaller companies can't afford this and just sell it. So what is it they say? caveat emptor?

lkfmdc
11-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Sorry Gene, I'll have to point out you are incorrect on this. At EVERY world championship and world cup event the same gear is used. Chest shield, shin guard, foot pad... it is standard. "meager" perhaps but it is a certain piece of gear, not a TKD chest guard, not foam dipped footies, not a tiger claw fingerless gloves... it you really want San Shou gear, there is a certain gear...

lkfmdc
11-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Also Gene, it may just be the internet and it's flat surface, but be careful saying we are "confusing San Shou and Muay Thai gear", some of us have trained MANY national san shou champions including members of US national team, we know what gear we are talking about

GeneChing
11-12-2002, 05:01 PM
But have you seen the san shou gear in China? That's the cheap stuff I'm referring to. I'll admit that there are standards but they are far from universal. The highest population of san shou players are in China and they use this ridiculously bad gear. They get nicer stuff for international events. My point here is that they would be very happy with "point sparring" foam gear.

Now are you saying there is a company that is making gear strictly for san shou? I will certainly admit that some gear is built harder, like fairtex, but their building for muay thai, which was the source of my earlier reference. I've seen some gear specs for tournaments, but nothing that universally comprehensive yet. Certainly nothing to the level of FIE certification. I would be eager to see that.

lkfmdc
11-12-2002, 05:50 PM
IWUF sets the standards, and supplies the gear at the events

Jian Xing is the company that produces it...

GeneChing
11-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Before we go much further, let me state that I'm not really trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to sell stuff since that's how I earn my living and support this forum of ours. But also I'm trying to point out a disparity in the perception of san shou internationally vs. on the provincial, city level or even village level. Actually, if you can get me a contact for Jian Xing, I'd love to start importing that stuff too and you know we'd beat anyone else's prices. PM me if you got it. :D

lkfmdc
11-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Gene, email me at davidross@nykkgym.com and we can discuss it in detail, could be a nice solution to a problem I have

Stacey
11-13-2002, 09:08 AM
Gene is a *****. Lying to sell, isn't ethical and it isn't good business.

If you buy that point crap and go to a tourney, you will find yourself buying new gear on the spot...a way many tourneys make extra money.

People travel so far to fight and have to buy new gear

apoweyn
11-13-2002, 09:13 AM
Lying to sell, isn't ethical and it isn't good business. - Stacey

whereas lying about your gender for entertainment purposes marks you as a model citizen and a paragon to which the rest of us should aspire.

Stacey
11-13-2002, 09:20 AM
yes. It would however be bad if I was a prostitute and really a guy. I'm not selling anything.

apoweyn
11-13-2002, 09:26 AM
no offense, stacey, but your credibility's still shot with me as a result.

GeneChing
11-13-2002, 10:03 AM
But I may lie about my lying.;)

Take Jimmy Wong's Taiji Legacy - that's a national level tournament and they throw a good sanshou. They also abide by IWUF rules and don't use Jian Xing gear. I've seen TC gear at those fights, just as I've seen it at others. So I stand by my statement. There maybe be standards on some levels, but their are a lot of tournaments and enough variation to justify my inclusion of www.MartialArtsMart.com gear on this thread.

I'm not sure you've seen our entire line of gear. We don't just carry foam and cloth. Check out our vinyl pro gear with the internal plate and spinal protection. http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/spareqproche.html .

lkfmdc
11-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Gene, just email me about the company, if you are interested

ShaolinTiger00
11-13-2002, 11:07 AM
lol @ the phrase "vinyl pro gear" that just kills me..

Gene, you know good and well that these products are inferior for repeated full contact training. - hence the bias towards muay thai and boxing products. they are proven to work.

I understand that you feel obliged to sell your wares, but sell them for what they are.

Stacey
11-13-2002, 03:11 PM
apoweyn- Oh no...my internet credebility...not that, I have lost face, I must commit sepeku.

Gene, your right in that people spar in san shou with the ghettoist of gear, but just because some people fight with carboard and a tubesock for a boxing glove doens't mean that anyone will let you fight that way in their tourney.

GeneChing
11-13-2002, 03:46 PM
If you want cheaper, you got to go to China. Have you ever worked with that gear? I have. It gives you new respect for Chinese sanshou.

Stacey
11-13-2002, 03:53 PM
no, I love martial arts mart, it works for me, I just can't take any of it to a tourney and expect to compete, I can practice in it, and its great for that.

However, your becoming an upity little he bizatch and if you have a problem I'll meet you somewhere to fight. Any tourneys or stories brining you to the East Coast?

GeneChing
11-13-2002, 04:05 PM
That's a good turn. I knew if I kept picking on this thread something would come of it.

I just got back for CT, but there was no sanshou there. However, if I remember my rights of challenge, if you issue the challenge, I have the right to choose place and weapons so you'd have to come west. Let me know and I'll pick through the racks and find something we can spar with. ;)

meet you somewhere to fight, sheesh. :rolleyes:

I think you all are projecting your level of fighting on others. Not everyone plays as hard as you (or at least as hard as some of you claim.) If you want heavy gear, pay more. If you ask for cheap gear, you get what you pay for.

apoweyn
11-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Stacey
apoweyn- Oh no...my internet credebility...not that, I have lost face, I must commit sepeku.

Gene, your right in that people spar in san shou with the ghettoist of gear, but just because some people fight with carboard and a tubesock for a boxing glove doens't mean that anyone will let you fight that way in their tourney.

commit whatever you like, mate. i'm not going to take it seriously regardless. like i said, i'm not inclined to take anything you say at face value anymore.

stuart b.

ShaolinTiger00
11-13-2002, 05:22 PM
It gives you new respect for Chinese sanshou.

Do you respect the fighters for training with such meager equipment? I think its sad actually, considering they would probably love to have better gear and it would help them avoid injury so they could train longer and harder. They don't have a choice. We do.

lkfmdc
11-14-2002, 07:37 AM
The IWUF style chest guard is not at all like a TKD guard or it's off shoots, anyone who has worn one knows what I am talking about. Jimmy's event is real bush league when it comes to San Shou in the US, not a single big 6 team attends. A lot of events call themselves San Shou but don't follow the standards, and because they don't that is why the top teams do not attend. But anyway, the point being, if you have to fight in the IWUF chest guard (nationals, world champ, world cup) you need to train in it and that is why we have it, not for "protection" though it does take a bit of the nasty side kick :)

Ditto with the shin guards, if that is what you fight in , you train in it.

As for heavy bags, kicking shileds, pads, etc I use Fairtex extensively because it is the ONLY company we don't destroy. Ringside has a few items that Fairtex does not carry that will stand up to what we do, so I use those. Pretty much most other "martial art" stuff get's trashed in under 2 weeks in my gym

GeneChing
11-14-2002, 12:49 PM
ST: I totally respect fighters who make do with meager equipment. That's so hardcore. I'm sure they'd love to have better, but they make due. Some of us have choices for sure. Most of us don't. When you consider world population at large, few can afford the luxury we have. But then again, the initial question was about cheap gear, so I figured that's what we were going to alk about.

lkfmdc: My point is that there is an upper circuit, if you will, the big six, we'll call it. But that's a very select circuit. Meanwhile, there are more 'bush league' events across the country who are defining sanshou in the U.S.A. today. It's unfortunate, since it deviates from what sanshou is supposed to be, or more properly what sanda is supposed to be (not sure how that name-change is going now.) Nevertheless, we can't discount the bush league stuff yet. More people play that. For IWUF sanshou, you gotta be really tough, and most U.S. martial artists never get up to that level.

Suntzu
11-14-2002, 01:34 PM
:cough:Big 7:cough:

lkfmdc
11-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Suntzu, we just got people to understand what the big 6 is, it will take a while to get them into the new BIG SEVEN flavor :)

Stranger
11-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Little Help

Who are the Big Seven?

Is there a movement within the CMA community to transition to the term Sanda from San Shou?

Thanks in advance.

GeneChing
11-14-2002, 02:57 PM
Actually, this name transition originated in China. Sanshou can be translated as 'free' or 'loose' hand - free as in freesparring, loose meaning not restricted to a form. Sanda replaces the hand with da - to hit. Technically, shou techniques should include some na - joint locks - so someone in China thought it should be changed to da since the gloves restrict na applications. Most everywhere I've seen it in China, it goes by sanda. In fact, one of China's most popular TV shows now is sandawang (wang=king.) Great show.

Meanwhile, here in the U.S. we've been promoting it as san shou since that's what they originally called it. Same characters as san soo, as in Jimmy Woo's san soo, btw. It's kind of a mess, just like the Tai Chi/taiji switch. That's China for you.