PDA

View Full Version : GOD? or?

yenhoi
11-11-2002, 04:41 PM
Long ass thread on e-budo. Good read.......

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=15021

JusticeZero
11-11-2002, 05:34 PM
And you are posting this.... WHY, exactly???

IronFist
11-12-2002, 01:53 AM
Dude I just read that whole thing. Interesting. Good discussion.

IronFist

yenhoi
11-12-2002, 09:47 AM
JusticeZero: you are responding to this thread WHY, exactly???

My reasons were posted.

Anyways, there is good stuff in that thread if your interested in logic, debate, quantumn physics, basic pysics, and various theological, philosophical, religious, and scientific koolness. Many links posted as well.

btw, ttt.

fa_jing
11-12-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm not about to read through that thread.

But, I did see a very funny truck a few times. Said

G.O.D.
Guaranteed Overnight Delivery

ewallace
11-12-2002, 01:51 PM
Could someone summarize that for me? Don't have much time right now.

Ford Prefect
11-12-2002, 02:03 PM
Ewallace,

The first page was just the typical banter about symantics. The should know that PAGAN stands for People Against Goodness And Niceness.

ewallace
11-12-2002, 02:05 PM
Yeah, nice people suck.

Signed,
- The mean people

fa_jing
11-12-2002, 03:01 PM
Yes, I read through the whole thing. Phew! They've finally settled all philosophical and moral debates, as well as semantic ones regarding God, us, and the Universe. To all those who said it couldn't be done, I say, why the pessimism? Boy those folks have got it going on over at E-budo.
:rolleyes:

Seriously, the only interesting post was by elder999, who posted some theistic/deistic quotes from major scientists. The rest was rehash of material and prejudices I'm sure we've all seen before.

Kristoffer
11-12-2002, 03:06 PM
I found it whiny

Serpent
11-12-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Seriously, the only interesting post was by elder999, who posted some theistic/deistic quotes from major scientists. The rest was rehash of material and prejudices I'm sure we've all seen before.

Spoken like a true blinkered theist.

Are you?

omegapoint
11-12-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Yes, I read through the whole thing. Phew! They've finally settled all philosophical and moral debates, as well as semantic ones regarding God, us, and the Universe. To all those who said it couldn't be done, I say, why the pessimism? Boy those folks have got it going on over at E-budo.
:rolleyes:

Truthfully, compared to this forum, they do have it going on. I would have to agree about the esoteric vs. the physics proof stuff. Both are inclusive, though. Again I say, Formulating an entirely new concept is not the same as proving (i.e.: Reiterating) the validity of something with formulas. Faith is the key to all things. Just knowing is the real truth....

eulerfan
11-12-2002, 09:30 PM
I'm not going near that thing.

They weren't trying to marry science and religion, were they? Prove the existence of God with a charm quark or something? I hate that. I want the two as far from each other as possible.

eulerfan
11-12-2002, 09:45 PM
How about the religious ramifications of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle? That one is always fun. Did they touch on that?

Serpent
11-12-2002, 09:54 PM
No. They spent more time arguing semantics and then harassing each other over what proof was, as opposed to evidence, theory, hypothesis.

Peppered throughout were people saying I don't believe in superstition, you can prove god. Others came back with you can't prove love or 1, etc.

However, there were some very interesting viewpoints and a lot of subjects were discussed around the main thrust of argument. Not a bad read, but a long one!

eulerfan
11-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Hmmmm.

I might go read it, then. When yenhoi mentioned quantum mechanics I was worried that it was one of those deals where people talk about things like the uncertainty principle as thought it's this highly mystical and mysterious thing. "OOOH, observing something changes it. What does that mean about reality?" It's a pet peeve of mine.

If the only way you could observe my head was by throwing a bowling ball at it, the heisenberg uncertaintly principle would apply to us, too. It's pretty common sense, really.

fa_jing
11-13-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Serpent

Spoken like a true blinkered theist.

Are you?

Depends how you define the term. I agree with almost every single quote religious and political, from this page: http://www.sfheart.com/einstein.html someone like Einstein, and people keep debating whether or not he's a theist. As I wrote in another thread, your labelling of him or me (not obvious cases) mostly belies your own prejudices.

Lately I have been interested not in the "ultimate reality," which is not available to us, but rather the "human reality." Thus my interest in Phenomenology. When you deal only with the human reality, things become more manageable. For instance, the predominate characteristic of the human reality is Free Will, all the debate dries up regarding that right away.

On the lighter, mushroomy side, my friend has discovered the secret of the Universe:
http://64.19.184.223/

eulerfan
11-13-2002, 08:55 AM
fa_jing,

You said that to me before. That my interpretation of quotes by him betrayed my own prejudices.

What I say about how that man felt about religion is actually the result of having read his essays on the subject in toto. The quotes were just there to support my statements.

You sort of assumed that I was just interpreting disembodied quotes.

I could call that the result of a prejudice. :D

BTW, yay for you, phenomenology ROCKS!!! I've been saying for a while that I want to visit Greece and stand where man had his first phenomenological break.

Serpent
11-13-2002, 04:45 PM
eulerfan said it all. Read the thead on e-budo linked at the start of this thread. The (inevitable) Einstein discussion there is interesting.

Can anybody pass me some good links for phenomenology?

yenhoi
11-13-2002, 08:35 PM
fa_jing:

what a kool website. :D

My whole perception of life has changed in 1 hour. Like it does every hour, but still, that site rocks ass hard core. ;)

eulerfan
11-13-2002, 08:54 PM
I don't know any links. I've only read books by Edmund Husserl. I think he's the originator or one of them.

Phenomenology is sort of the precursor to existentialism.

Serpent
11-13-2002, 09:03 PM
Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out.

fa_jing
11-14-2002, 09:56 AM
http://www.spep.org/Philosophy%20on%20the%20Web.html

yenhoi: pop him an e-mail, I'm sure he'll appreciate it

Monirism is the next hot thing in philosophy. :D

fa_jing
11-14-2002, 10:53 AM
http://pvspade.com/Sartre/pdf/sartre1.pdf

This is a much better link. The first 70 or so pages give a good summary of philosophical movements up to the time of Sartre's writings. Includes a long section on Husserl.