PDA

View Full Version : Gor Chor/ Wu Chu Fist Answer

Lizardking
05-24-2000, 08:33 AM
Yes Ben.

The Tai Chors and Lohans are elements of Wu Chu. The Tai Chors explain more of the methodology of the system, whereas the Lohans add dynamics and postures. The 5 elements are Crane, Monkey, Tiger, Lohan, and Tat Choon.

word
05-24-2000, 12:03 PM
Lizardking,

Your gor chor style sounds like some awfully incorrect chinese.

Ben Gash
05-24-2000, 07:05 PM
Thanks Lizard King. What I meant though, is is the Taizhu aspect of wuzhuquan longarm?
Don't worry about Word, he lacked parental affection as a child.

joedoe
02-12-2001, 06:47 AM
Word,

Gor chor/Ngor chor - whatever - is Hokkien for '5 Ancestors'.

Wu Chu is the Mandarin equivalent.

Shaolin Temple
02-12-2001, 06:59 AM
This is the style of Southern Shaolin kung fu that karate originated from. Archeological and historical evidence have dated that Okinawa karate is from this style.

Ngor chor kun became go ju ryu in Japan and also Ueichi ryu.

The current expert exponent and keeper of this great art is Datuk master Chee Kim Thong of Malaysia. For those of you who may have heard of him, his first disciple is Yap Cheng Hai and amongst many others...Yap Leong. Even Wong Kiew Kit have consulted Master Chee.

So who is Datuk master Chee Kim Thong?
All those in the Southern Shaolin range in China know about him. In the west, his name is very pronounced as well.

Grand Master Chee Kim Thong, who was awarded the title National Living Treasure of China (by the Chinese Government) due to his unrivalled knowledge and abilities.

The government have invited him back several times to the Southern Shaolin to preserve the arts of the South.

What is Wu Chu Chuan (Cantonese) or Wuzuquan (Mandarin) or Ngor Chor Kun (Fujian dialect, they are all the same...just different pronounciation due to dialects.

History:

Shaolin Wu Zu Quan, or Five Ancestors Fist is, as its name suggests, based on the combination of five major systems. These systems evolved as a result of five great masters combining their knowledge to create a single system under the direction of the famous Bak Yu-Feng in the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1367). Each of the Masters discovered that the others were skilled in a way different to their own, and realised that together, they could contribute the strong points of their art toward the development of a single system.

Tat Choon (Bodhidharma) : meditation and breathing techniques utilised for the development of Qi
(pronounced 'chee' : this is the body's intrinsic energy, and is literally 'the stuff of life'). These exercises also lead to the development of hand skills.

Luohan (or The Immortal) : techniques are based on dynamic body movements and correct posture.

Tai Chor : this was the martial nickname of the first Emperor of the Sung Dynasty (Chao K'ang
Yin) - a very famous and skilled Martial Arts practitioner whose techniques employed tremendous
accuracy with every action executed proportionately and with the minimum of wasted effort.

Peh Hoke (White Crane) : based on the methods by which the majestic and graceful bird defends
itself using unpredictable and tricky movements. The finger and hand techniques of Wu Zu Quan
owe much to the White Crane.

Soo Heng Cheh (Monkey) : the relaxed wrist for blocking and striking and the agility and
sure-footedness of the monkey provides the basis for the system's stepping, allowing smooth yet
speedy movement in and out of the opponent's fighting range.

Shaolin Wu Zu Quan is a Martial Art which relies not merely on physical strength, but on precise
and well-defined movements which are only fully effective when executed in a relaxed and efficient
manner. Thus, contrary to common opinion, female practitioners are paticularly adept in this
particular system. This point was exemplified by a legendary figure in Chinese Martial Arts (Hian
Loo) who is referred to simply as 'The Lady in the Green Dress'. This figure added refinement to
the systems mentioned above and epitomises the virtue of humility.

Shaolin Master
02-12-2001, 07:20 AM
Actually
Wuzuquan bears resemblance to Hequan and Taizuquan more than the other three arts. It was composed no more than 200 yrs ago. There are three main lineages of the art Chee Kim Thong is well known and respected that is true, there is the Singapore lineage as well as the Malaysian did you know of that one (or even the philipines and China). Actually in sth east asia there are many great masters residing that have been acknowledged as treasures, as there are many outstanding individuals that kept the arts during the difficult years of the cultural revoloution outside Mainland PRC.
Whether it was the origin of Karate is also disputable as Fujian White Crane bears more resemblance to Goju Ryu, whilst Fujian Tiger Fist bears resemblance to Uechi Ryu.
In fact one of the masters of White crane was the master of the founder of Goju Ryu Ryu Ryuku ...
Likewise Uechi Ryu Founders have had communication with Zhou He Zi one of the Masters of Fujian Hu Quan.

The resemblance between Wuzhuquan and karate is not direct rather both through their foundations of white crane. In fact the founder of Wuzhuquan was a complete Master of White crane solely before spending 10 years travelling to develop the wuzhuquan art. So in fact he had to lines of students those of white crane and those of Wuzhuquan.

Regards
Shi Chan Long

Shaolin Temple
02-12-2001, 10:30 AM
I did mention these in my other articles.

It is amazing that in Fujian, this style predominates and closely followed by white crane...although Wu Zu has white crane in it. Have you ever practiced this art? It is amazing as Wong Kiew Kit said...when he visited Master Chee, he was told to use power without strength. I have practiced with some of my disciple brothers here and it is truly amazing how for someone of my size and built (I am 6'3" and 138 kgs), I get lifted and thrown easily. I usually practice lohan styles and even though it is not easy to move me, I am always in awe when I get thrown with such minimal effort.

The other style wuji is just the same...nothingness and soft but extremely penetrating.

It is truly amazing how martial arts started and have over the centuries developed so strongly.

Keep it up everybody...lots of hard work and perserverence and you will gain excellence. Tolerate...I wish I could...

Bye :cool:

joedoe
02-12-2001, 12:46 PM
Shaolin Master:

I don't know much about Japanese, but I think Goju Ryu roughly translates to something similar to 5 Ancestors Fist. The name Go-Ju Ryu also bears a loose resemblance to the Hokkien name of Wuzuquan - Ngor Chor Kun. Not conclusive evidence, but certainly similarities.

I may be wrong. I can't claim to be an expert.

I believe there is also another thread floating around in one of the forums where a practitioner of Goju Ryu had trained a little in Wuzuquan and mentioned similarities as well.

whitelion
02-13-2001, 08:09 AM
From what I understand of Wu Chu history, the style is actually closer to 600 years old.

And I also understand that Okinawan masters learned Wu Chu and brought it back to Okinawa, resulting in the style of Goju Ryu.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Wu Chu really is a great style. Doesn't suit everyone, but I love it!

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

Shaolin Master
02-13-2001, 08:13 AM
Broadsword Hi :)

Please outline the history as you know it then.
Also where in North rocks address time etc...I'd like to visit :)

Regards
Shi chan Long

PS : Regarding Karate
http://mawn.net/his_okinawa.htm
Goju = Hard Soft = Gang Rou

[This message was edited by ShaolinMaster on 02-13-01 at 10:22 PM.]

[This message was edited by ShaolinMaster on 02-13-01 at 10:25 PM.]

whitelion
02-13-2001, 09:41 AM
Hi ShaolinMaster :)

OK, I think Shaolin Temple did a pretty good job of the history as I know it. I can only add one thing.

Shaolin Whu Chu Chuan moved from Shaolin at Songshan to the Southern Shaolin temples during the Ching dynasty when the Songshan site was destroyed by Manchurian troops. This may be where you pick up the history of Wu Chu, hence the 200 year time frame.

As for class details, email me (get my email from my bio) as for various reasons I would rather not publish the details here. I look forward to meeting you.

whitelion
02-13-2001, 10:03 AM
BTW, Thanks for the link - very interesting reading.

One of the Shaolin temples that claims lineage for Wu Chu is in Chuan Chou - where the Okinawans had a small community as a result of the Chinese-Okinawan relations. This is possibly where the link with Goju Ryu began.

I don't know much about Goju Ryu, but I have heard that there are similarities with Wu Chu Chuan.

Kenji
02-14-2001, 02:37 AM
Broadsword,

Your profile doesn't have ur email address in it.

whitelion
02-14-2001, 03:33 AM
Ooops. Sorry. It does now.

BIU JI
02-16-2001, 02:57 AM
- Shaolin Master is going over to Broad Swords school huh!
Broad Sword I have to inform you that SM's manners are impecible.
I guess we should be expecting another troll soon.
Shaolin will you be showing the same level of respect as you did my sifu?

whitelion
02-17-2001, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the warning.

I am aware of Shaolin Master's past activities. I will judge him on how he behaves in our class, and not on mistakes he has made in the past.

Kenji
02-17-2001, 01:11 PM
What did Shaolinmaster actually do?

whitelion
02-18-2001, 12:19 AM
What I could gather of ShaolinMaster's previous activities, he visited another school, dined with their sifu, then proceeded to make fun of the school and issue challenges all over the place using false logins on this forum.

He then apologised and claimed he was just having a bit of a joke.

I am not going to hold this against him if/when he visits our school :).

Shaolin Temple
02-18-2001, 02:05 AM
what did SM do to your master?
-----------------------------------------------
Which Shaolin is authentic. North or South.
As Sifu would say...there is no permanence and there should not be any discrimination.
The point is therefore, who cares.
The more Shaolin there are, the better. Amitabha.