PDA

View Full Version : ghost bridge set

wisdom mind
05-24-2000, 11:58 PM
any thoughts or info on the hakka form 72 ghost bridge set or 18 ghost hand set?

for example...what is a bridge? seriously.

what are these types of forms developed to deal with?

many thanks

pinecone_wayferer
05-25-2000, 12:39 AM
wisdom mind wrote:
"for example...what is a bridge?...what are these types of forms developed to deal with?"

When I hear bridge I think of "bridging the gap". This is a phase in fighting where you are trying to open up the guard of your opponent. This is what all of those so-called blocking moves are for. You never block, you attack the arms of the opponent, move them out of the way, and then hit.

wisdom mind
05-25-2000, 12:50 AM
thizzanks.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Forum-any more thoughts?

mantis108
05-25-2000, 06:40 AM
Hi wisdom mind,

Hakka form 72 ghost bridge set and 18 ghost hand set? Which Hakka style you are referring to? I persume you're talking about Bak Mei.

72 ghost bridge, I think is a misinterpreted title. It is called "Chat Sap Yi Tei Sar" which is a ground fighting set. Lot of take down, rolling, etc... The title borrows the Chinese stars constellations (there are 2 sets 36 major and 72 minor that make 108). Also a hint of Chin Na (grappling & joint locks.)

18 ghost hand, I persume, is "Sap Baat Mor Kiu". It is 18 touch (Mor) bridge. The word demon (ghost) and touch in cantonese sound the same. Mor Kiu is a archtype technique of both Bak Mei and Lung Ying. There are also "Poon Kiu" "Ciao Kiu" and "heung Kiu". All very important "bridge".

Bridge or "Kiu" is an important concept in Southern styles. It refers to the forearms which is used to act as probing device; hence, the connecting sense. Southern styles ,being short range hand strikes systems, making contact with the opponent before committing full power is important. The bridges have to be both sensitive and strong at the same time.

Hope this will help

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Lau
05-25-2000, 04:38 PM
Hi,
I once read that 18 stands for a set of 18 pressure points on the body which are attacked with the techniques in the Sap Pat Mo Kiu form. I don't know if it's true though.

any other ideas where the figure 18 comes from/stands for?
Regards, Lau

wisdom mind
05-26-2000, 02:05 AM
mantis 108
pak mei indeed!

Exactly the kinda answer i was lookin' fer.

Lau

helpful as well

Many thanx

WildMan_Riot
05-26-2000, 01:34 PM
Ghost bridge set. Wow that sound formidable. what does it actually do?

mantis108
05-26-2000, 11:46 PM
Mor Kiu (touch bridge) is a two handed operation. It is circular in nature to nullify the opponent's pressing bridge. While the exponent's extend bridge is being suppressed, he would bring his reserved rear bridge forward under the cover of the suppressed arm. In this manner, the rear bridge seems to appear out of nowhere; hence, the name Mor (demon, magic, and touch.) The saying "now you see it, now you don't," best discribe this technique. Remeber it is the hand ,which you can't see, that kills you.

It can also be deployed as probing technique. Similar in nature as the jab. Instead of going for the body, you are going for the bridge(s) of your opponent for contact. Once you secured contact, the rest is history.

Mantis108

------------------

[This message has been edited by mantis108 (edited 05-27-2000).]

WildMan_Riot
05-30-2000, 03:06 PM
Mantis108

I haven't seen Mor Kui in action, but from what you describe the concept is a sound strategy. Many styles apply the same concepts as well. In northern mantis we "cover" our upper cuts, "hide" our groin shots and disguise our curved punches. If you can take your opponent by surprise half the battle's won!

mantis108
05-30-2000, 10:27 PM
Hi wildman rat,

Element of surprise exactly.

Which Praying Mantis do you practice? As for myself, I take Tai Chi Praying Mantis.

Mantis108

------------------