PDA

View Full Version : When Did It "Click?"

taltos
11-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Out of curiosity...

Obviously most (hopefully all) of us believe that our WC is (or can become) efficient and powerful enough to enable us to successfully defend ourselves.

I was wondering when, during the course of your study, it really clicked in your whole body that WC WORKS. For me, I believed it in my mind for a long while, and I had been in many fights before, so there was no real fear of violence or pain in me. Strangely enough, for me it was one day when my brother (who is 2.5 inches taller and 150 pounds heavier - not exaggerating) was teaching me some wrestling moves, and I discovered that he was having a really hard time taking me down (the "shoot"). So we started going over basic grabs, holds, etc., and it became obvious that I could match - or beat - him with my WC and not only keep him at bay, but affect his balance without having to throw windmills or dive (i.e. give up my own structure or work too hard).

Just wondering what it was that made it click for the rest of you...

-Levi

Grendel
11-13-2002, 12:10 AM
Hi Taltos,

Good question. There are many moments like this in Wing Chun.

It first "clicked" for me when I attended a seminar after 13 months being the "new guy" at my school. With so many seniors (the nearest had four years more than me), I never got to feel what I was doing working effectively outside of the occasional serendipitous coming together of luck and skill.

At this seminar, my first, I met students from other schools with many years of Wing Chun, some who were teachers, and had my way with every one of them, giving me confidence in my Wing Chun hands finally.

Naturally, I went back home with this new insight and promptly had my head handed to me :rolleyes:, but the feeling of success remained to inspire my continued diligent training over the next five years to present.

Regards,

S.Teebas
11-13-2002, 01:21 AM
Probably a few times if i really think about it. But one recently was when my friend attacked me (just kind of mucking around) and as soon as he made contact my body naturally reacted without me thinking and i just pivoted the force away quite easily, sending him off balance. And he said it felt like i was really grounded and solid. Stance work begining to pay off :)

cha kuen
11-13-2002, 02:51 AM
I have a friend who likes to wrestle when he gets violent. He grabbeed both of my hands and tried to push me. I maintained my structure, lowered my horse and did not tense my shoulder. I was using my elbow energy to keep him where he was. Then I came over with my right elbow to break the hold and chopped him in the neck. hehe

wing chun books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)