PDA

View Full Version : Willian CC Hu

dz
11-13-2002, 02:48 AM
Does anyone know anything about this guy? Where can I find info about him?

Thanks

Wai

Hai_To
11-13-2002, 09:28 AM
What does he teach?

dz
11-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Taijiquan. Don't know which style, that's what I want to know as well.

Regards

Wai

HispanicPalm
11-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Greetings,

Are You sure his Name is William CC Hu or is It William C.C. Chen the Tai chi Teacher in downtown Manhattan who Teaches Yang Style Tai Chi and Pushhands If so Here's a link www.williamccchen.com

Hope this helps.

Peace

Walter Joyce
11-13-2002, 12:27 PM
I think it is William CC Hu. I did a web search and came up with several articles in re historic roots of CMA, and he was also listed as someones teacher in a web page. Unfortunately nothing as to what type of martial art he studied or taught.

dz
11-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Hispanic,
No, I know who William CC Chen is. I'm looking for info on Mr Hu.

Walter,
Yeah, I did that as well. Some of his articles are to be found on the Blackbelt Magazine's website. But I'm looking for info on -him-, not stuff he wrote. :)

Oh well, I'll just have to keep on looking.

Thanks anyway

Regards

Wai

HispanicPalm
11-14-2002, 12:10 PM
dz,

The William CC Hu I have heard of I beleive was a hung ga stylist and If I recall correctly I think he wrote a book on lion dance as for his tai chi style I don't know Yet but when I do so will you.

PEACE;)

dz
11-14-2002, 12:22 PM
Hispanic,

Hm, I don't know, maybe he's a Hung Gar stylist as well. The reason I'm wondering is that I recently came in contact with a Tai Chi guy who says that he's a student of a student of a William CC Hu.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

Walter Joyce
11-14-2002, 12:30 PM
I sent an email to the magazine that publishes his articles asking what he studies/teaches. If I ever get a reply I'll let you know.

Rockwood
11-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Hi, an old guy I know once told me about Willie Hu. He said that he used to teach in Hawaii but then he ended up in Ann Arbor Michigan. He didn't mention the style that he taught. He did say that Mr. Hu had the reputation of being able to hold his finger out and no one could bend it. But he found out that this wasn't actually true.

Not much help I know, but I contribute when I can!

-JessO

dz
11-15-2002, 12:14 AM
Walter,
Thanks! Let's see if they respond.

Rockwood,
Yeah, I think that might be the guy! Michigan, eh?

RAF
11-15-2002, 06:46 AM
George Hu
2206 Woodlake Park Drive
Houston TX 77077
713-493-3795

Years ago there were a couple of articles in the Taichi magazine along with a tape on an old style of Yang's taiji. I know this is not William but this may be worth exploring. I believe he once lived in Michigan before moving to Houston.

Walter Joyce
11-15-2002, 11:04 AM
I got an email back unfortuanetly it said:

"Walter,

He has not written for us in years. Unfortunately we have no information on his background.

Take care.

RY"

Oh well, at least they answered.

dz
11-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your efforts!

Anyway, I'll just ask his student's student then.

Cheers

Wai

hasayfu
11-19-2002, 01:22 AM
I've met Dr. William C. Hu. What Rockwood says is correct about living in Hawaii and ending up in Ann Arbor. He is a college professor at Michigan State. He is an expert in Chinese history and culture. He is very open with his knowledge.

I looked on the jacket of Chinese Lion Dance Explained and it doesn't mention his martial background. It says he is listed in Martial Arts: Traditions, History, People; Masters, Founders and Leaders of American Martial Arts; and The Complete Martial Arts Catalogue. The latter book calls him "the principal Kung-fu historian in the United States."

It also mention he was in the opera.

I've never seen his martial arts but I've seen him play the big head buddha and the man has skills.

GeneChing
11-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Dr. Hu was by the Kungfu Qigong office here several months ago. A fantastic scholar - one of truly great contibutors to our field. He as a true passion for the arts and a sharp mind for research - very well educated. Unfortunately, his library archive and much of his research - a litfelong colllection - was burned up in a freak accident. It was a tragic loss and I got the sense from him that he didn't want to go back. I've gave him an open invitation to publish with us, but I got the feeling he was still quite saddened by his immense loss, and hesistant to continue publishing in our field. A great loss - I was eagerly awating his proposed works on Shaolin, but it looks like it may never happen now.