PDA

View Full Version : Sydney ppl yum cha

friday
11-13-2002, 04:20 AM
hi guys just wondering about that yum cha we were gonna have. what day do u ppl want to hav eit on?

list of ppl:
friday
jon
ka
sweaty dog
my friends

i know u guys have some other friends u might want to bring along too since we are going to be meeting abit loater to train together.

so...how about the 30th?, any time after that is cool too
just let me know pm or post here :) plus where do u guys want to have it?
i just thought this was the easiest way to organise it.
ummm also moderators
we are all kung fu ppl umm most of us anyway so don't chuck this thread out pls :)

sweaty_dog
11-13-2002, 07:52 AM
30th sounds good!

Ka
11-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Cool,just saw this thread and I should be able to make it.
Friday I finish on the 24th , will give you a call.

TaoBoy
11-14-2002, 04:50 PM
Aw, but I won't be in Sydney until late December!

friday
11-14-2002, 09:07 PM
hey taoboy

u can always join us when u arrive. we could hav eanother yum cha if we are all around.

:)
friday

TaoBoy
11-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Sounds like a plan.

I'll be in town 3-4/1/03.

I'll send out the call here before I leave!

jon
11-14-2002, 11:32 PM
Sounds good to me.
I will probarly be working but if i tell them now i 'should' be able to get the day off.

friday
11-18-2002, 03:59 AM
hey everyone,

just a potential change in plans

how do u guys feel about sunday instead (1st of december) yum cha. 30th is a saturday and its training day at the kwoon. i'm sorry guys i really should've checked :( hehe.

i know some of u guys have work schedules etc so i didn't want to make it on a weekday.

i also might have someone coming along who wants to have a look around b4 picking a martial art to train in - newbie so to speak so it would be cool if u guys could all give him some opinion and some contacts when we meet :).

anyway let me know whether the 1st will be ok with u guys.

friday

friday
11-18-2002, 07:17 PM

friday
11-21-2002, 04:06 AM
hi ppl
just an update the 1st of december is set now
its been ok'd by jon, ka, my friends, only waiting for u sweaty dog

so sunday 1/12/02

time: 12:00
place: yum cha at
kam fook restaurant
i'm sure u guys all know where it is

friday
i'm assuming the day is just going to be a yum cha day right? no training expected :)
we'll organise a time to meet up again on that day.

sweaty_dog
11-21-2002, 05:56 AM
Sounds good! 1/12 is fine for me!

jon
11-21-2002, 06:12 AM
friday
"i'm assuming the day is just going to be a yum cha day right? no training expected"
* Im easy, i can get us access to the gardens if anyone wants to have a bit of a play?

Kam Fook is sharks fin right? On top of market city?

lol my sifu never has to wait for a table at that place its hillarious, especialy considering they usualy have people lined up out the door :)

sweaty_dog
* I have to ask you...
How long did you train under my instructor?
I know you didnt find what you where looking for and thats no issue. Im just curious as to how long you stayed with him and what you learnt.
I read a post from you on another forum stating he had never really done any combat stuff with you and it perked my curriousity.
Ive noticed quite a few of his older students have been given the same deal. I dont really understand why he does things the way he does. Im just happy im getting what im after i guess.
You may be interested to know though that his focuss has shifted almost entirely. Especialy with the advent of the San Shao and several younger students with whom combat is there pure focus.
As an example when i first met him... He wore a traditonal Tai Chi outfit.
These days he wears sports coats and track pants and shoes - plus a cap. He looks like a boxing couch. Its kinda funny :)
He has also told me almost the opposite stating that most of his older students where not into the combat side.
Anyway just curious, if you dont wish to answer here then pm me :)

As a side note...
I noticed in your other posts you listed 'deliberately' falling for him during applications. I found this funny becouse the other day i asked him for an application on Snake Creeps Down and he litteraly picked me strait up off the ground into a firemans carry and then held me there. He used to be a bodybuilder so he certainly has a lot of strength. hehe trust me you dont need to give him a hand :)

sweaty_dog
11-22-2002, 12:51 AM
I was at William's school for about 2 years. I learned the Tai Chi form and about 7 of the Ba Gua circles. I didn't do demonstrations with him, I just pushed hands, I did demos with kenny (ballet dancer) where I would cooperate with the throws. I always meant to go back, but I got very sick of the lion dancing shows and the language barrier. Also I like sports oriented training which was definitely not what he was doing when I was there.

I only ever saw William in the silk gear when he was going to formal dinners and things like that, he seemed to prefer a tracksuit then too.

"I dont really understand why he does things the way he does."

I don't think anyone does! He moves in very mysterious ways, does Master Ho.;)

jon
11-22-2002, 03:29 AM
sweaty_dog

That certainly explains a bit :)
Ive actualy played a little with Kenny before, am i able to claim the fifth?
Seriously though his hands are not terrible but not exactly fighting inclined shall we say :)

I can certainly understand your fustration with the language barrior, its hard for me as well. Still im not doing to badly really in that respect and most of the time i know what he is going on about.

"Also I like sports oriented training which was definitely not what he was doing when I was there."
* I can understand that, he is getting a little more into competion though the San Shau but his main focuss is still traditional.

"I don't think anyone does! He moves in very mysterious ways, does Master Ho."
* ROFL oh man you do not how true that is. Still *he* always seems to be perfectly aware of what he is up to. Its the rest of us poor sods who are always left guessing;)

fiercest tiger
11-22-2002, 05:39 AM
Love to meet up also and say hi! when is the date and time, you have changed it to night time now?

take care
FT Garry

friday
11-22-2002, 07:01 PM
hi FT,

:) that would be great, luv u to come. its actually 12pm during the day haha for yum cha. yr pulling my leg right about the nite time thing?? ;)

anyway i think everyone else will be cool with it it would be great to have u along to chat about MA and kung fu etc. anyway we'll see u on sunday then 1/12/02 at kam fook.

so now it seems:
ka, sd, ft, fri, jon, 2 friends.

btw u are all welcome to bring along some contacts u might have. just let me know. i remember ka and sd u were both talking about a friend of yours who does bak mei. :) mayb u can invite him along too.

anyway looking forwrad to the yum cha. :)

fiercest tiger
11-23-2002, 03:18 AM
HAHAHAHA yeah kindding, ill see you there!:)

FT

Ka
11-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Wondering if anyone wants to make it a little earlier,say 1030 or 11.
2 reasons
: avoid the crowds (as in the take a nu.and line up)
: got stuff to do in the arvo(didn't say I wasn't self motivated)
Anyway I might rock up early and get a big table for us.
What time you going to arive Friday?

fiercest tiger
11-25-2002, 04:07 PM
Sounds like a good idea, it usually gets packed out!:)

friday
11-25-2002, 05:13 PM
hi :)

sure ka
i'll be there at 11am.

friday
still working on that assign :) hahaha last minutre man :(

jon
11-26-2002, 12:40 AM
I have to work in the afternoon so the earlier the better for me.

So 10.30 - 11 is good for me as well, are we going to get a table under a particular name?

Anyway should be cool im looking forward to it :D

cha kuen
11-26-2002, 12:45 AM
Are we going to get a small workout afterwards? it would be interesting to touch hands with other styles in an open manner..

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

friday
11-26-2002, 02:25 AM

cha kuen???? u make it out like u live in sydney and will be turning up too :) haha your welcome to join us but i suspect the distance might be a bit too far for u. ;)

it really depends on what time we finish yum cha and how many ppl are left towards the end. i'm all for turning up nice and early sort of a 'brunch' yum cha.

as for a name. i do'nt think we can book tables i think if we turn up so early we can just walk right in.

friday

ahhh...**** this assignment :(

friday
11-26-2002, 05:08 AM
hi FT thought i'd better reply to your question here rather than take over the other thread in southern kf :)

honestly i don't really have any idea of how pak hok chi sao works. i'm really a beginner in the style.
i hve seen pictures of it tho'. it looks quite different from other chi sao or push hands i've seen. i've ticked it on the my list of next things to learn when i return to hk.

friday

fiercest tiger
11-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks mate for your answer, that would make pak hok a nice system in close with throws and soft hands and then BAM a swing punch if you step out of short range!:)

Those swinging punches can take your head off!;)

see you at yum cha.

FT:D

friday
11-27-2002, 10:23 PM
:) not if u get hit by my swinging punch! i'm more likely to dislocate my joints haha.

i've finially finished my assignment. 5000 words !! woohoo
the semester is finally over
i'm going to train now :)
hehe byebye

btw ka tried to call u today wondering if u still want to meet up b4 yum cha

anyway see u all sunday!

friday

jon
11-30-2002, 11:33 PM
Greetings all.
Great fun meeting up today, was really cool to meet you guys.
Im sorry i had to bail a bit early, did i miss anything exciting? What time did you all end up leaving?

Hopefully we can all meet up again another time soon, was maybe going to surgest we meet somewhere we can all do a little exchanging?

Anyway thanks for a good lunch (even if i didnt actualy eat) with great company and hopefully next time ill have a bit more time.

friday
12-01-2002, 06:30 AM
hey everyone,

i had a great time yum cha with u all today we all had a good chat etc :).

FT - i'll be sure to visit your school b4 christmas :). Thanks for the invite.

cannon, SD, Ka thanks for the session we had in the afternoon it was fun too.

hey Jon, :) cannon, sd, Ka and I mucked around afterwards out in a park. had quite a bit of fun. it lasted quite a while chatting, rolling etc. i leart a bit more about the sprawl, a bit on some bjj, my own stuff. u know i think its great to meet a good bunch of ppl and test some of the stuff out. i don't know about the others but i'd be happy to meet up again when sd has some time.

beware of sweaty_dog and his thumb wrestling skills ;). hey sd i watched the video. i can see how things have changed since that first championship. his double leg takedowns now from that distance probably wouldn't work as well now. it was pretty good. :)

fiercest tiger
12-01-2002, 02:23 PM
It was a great yum cha wasnt eating much but good to finally meet and put faces behind the KFO names..lol

Yeah, would have loved to do some stuff afterwards and played around but i didnt drive and time was a problem for us. But we can do it again and all meet up on a weekend at my school and have lunch etc?

All the rest of you guys thanks for a great laugh and chat, hopefully we can catch up more often.

FT:D

sweaty_dog
12-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Nice to meet you all! I wasn't too chirpy due to being a little "tired and emotional" (as in hungover) but it was good to put some faces to names. Have fun in China, Ka!

Yum Cha
12-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it guys, family committments.... Did FT amaze you with his secret Fung Jau and Har Gau techniques?

fiercest tiger
12-02-2002, 11:36 PM
actually JON almost choked on one when i told him a funny story!!! lol

BAAAAAAAAAAAAK MEEEEEEEEEEEEI I saw you hidding down the back saying **** YKM people here TALKING SH!T again. hahahahah

when does your sifu come back?

FT

Yum Cha
12-02-2002, 11:46 PM
mmmm, did you have any of Kam Fooks deep fried fish heads? One of the house specialties I believe....<grin>

Its a great restaurant, when you can get a seat...

fiercest tiger
12-02-2002, 11:51 PM
nah, no fish heads, jusr dogs B@lls!

:eek: