PDA

View Full Version : Sifus

reneritchie
11-13-2002, 12:07 PM
With all due respect, what is done and/or said between the Sifus should stays among the Sifus.

Leaving specific people and threads out of it, this is an interesting topic to me and one I've pondered. In my understanding, much like a regular family, a 'sifu' is simply someone who has todai (children, so to speak). It does not convey status, nor skill, nor wisdom. And, like you can have 15 year old boys becoming fathers with little or no idea what to do with a child, or 30 year old men who have carefully planned their futures, you can have (and my city does) 2 year students who just want to teach without much in the way of what to teach vs. men who've been doing the art for decades and have real methods for imparting skills. Likewise, I know of several people 30-40 years into an art with no desire now or ever to teach (my friend's neighbor, a Nam Tong Long man, is like this). Would the 2 year 'sifu' deserve any consideration the 40 year practitioner would not?

IMHO, everyone who comes onto a message board comes on with equal footing - worthy of the same respect and consideration, and required of the same example, as everyone else.

I think the Chinese martial family concept encapsulates this beautifully. Though we have 'sifu' (teacher/father), we also have sihingjay (teacher/elder brother/sister) and sidaimui (teacher younger brother/sister). All are teachers, and we can all learn from them.

Thus, I don't think there should be a rigid or authoritarian hierarchy where some are 'sifu' and others not (indeed, in China, 'sifu' is a term often used for cooks and even taxi drivers!) but rather the same tea-table analogy we use in other forums, where while we may have relationships with some, or opinions on relative worth on others, we keep those to ourselves and concentrate on the topic at hand.

(There was an old story from a fictitious writer in Inside Karate many years back where a man came to a class and insisted the people there call him 'sifu'. Since the man was not their teacher, and he refused to be called Mr., they just called him Bob).

RR

John Weiland
11-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie

Thus, I don't think there should be a rigid or authoritarian hierarchy where some are 'sifu' and others not (indeed, in China, 'sifu' is a term often used for cooks and even taxi drivers!) but rather the same tea-table analogy we use in other forums, where while we may have relationships with some, or opinions on relative worth on others, we keep those to ourselves and concentrate on the topic at hand.

Hey Rene!

My sifu is a cook, and my primary siheng is a bus driver. I hope you weren't implying there is anything wrong with that. :p

Every day my sifu chops up 100 chickens with a dull knife. He can do wicked damage to someone with or without a knife. :D

You made good points in your post. It's nice to see you posting here.

Cheers,

aelward
11-13-2002, 11:37 PM
John Weiland writes:
> My sifu is a cook, and my primary siheng is a bus driver. I hope
> you weren't implying there is anything wrong with that.

I think RR is just mentioning terminology; sifu is just a title that people call cooks, taxi drivers, and several other professions. RR didn't spell it out in this thread, but the "fu" for si"fu" the cook and si"fu" your teacher-father are differenct characters-- the former is probably not as much a title as much as a way of addressing someone--much like we may use Mr. or Ms. for strangers in the U.S.

In martial arts circles, we call teachers outside of our own direct lineage "sifu", where "fu" means something like "instructor" or "professional." In this case, I personally feel that it conveys a connotation of respect.

In some cases, I might use "zong shi" (in mandarin, since when it comes down to it, I can't speak Cantonese :P ), which might be something like "Grandmaster." But once again, this is for someone outside of my lineage-- noteable people like Liang Shiyu, Chan Pui, or countless other people who command a lot of respect.

But within my own direct lineage, the Si-Fu refers here to the father, and my Si-gung is my teacher's teacher; etc. etc. I would never use the term SiFu (professional) or Zongshi for someone in my own family. (well, we all call Yip Man: "yidai zongshi"-- which connotates a type of person who comes along once in a generation).

reneritchie
11-14-2002, 06:59 AM
JW - Nice to see you to. Actually, I meant it as a compliment. For some reason, many people in the west tend to look at MA teachers as some form of higher being, some general life-coach, when in reality, cooks, taxi drivers, artists, and others have achieved in their own way remarkable skill and are just as respected. I think in the West there's almost a fake Chinese culture (much like the fake Persian culture in Sinbad or Alladin) that is perpetuated, sometimes harmlessly, sometimes not.

Aelward - Thanks, and yes, sorry, didn't distingish the martial/religious teacher/father from the lay teacher/teacher. In Cantonese Zhong Shi (Jong Si) is usually reserved for postumous use of someone who greatly affected a school or branch. The term is used for Yip Man, as in your example, and sadly, we now use it for Sum Nung. Jo Si (Zu Shi) would be the lay equivalent (used, for example, for Cheung Ng/Zhang Wu and his role in the Cantonese Opera).

Anyway, my main point was, behavior is behavior, and I will treat everyone with respect, whether they are sifu or not, short time or long time. And we should all be held to the same standards.

RR

RR

anerlich
11-14-2002, 07:57 PM
I think in the West there's almost a fake Chinese culture (much like the fake Persian culture in Sinbad or Alladin) that is perpetuated, sometimes harmlessly, sometimes not.

Excellent point. There was much more of this in the 70's/80's, but it's still around. One thing for an Asian Sifu to be treated with due respect according to tradition, another for a white guy to put on Chinese clothes and KF slippers and demand to be treated like a God. Adhering to tradition, within reason, is a good thing, exploiting and distorting it for egotistical reasons or to control others is despicable.

Then again, there are too many students who "surrender to the mystery", embracing an exotic culture which they don't understand, because they cannot adjust to their own.

By whatever yardstick, the person who accepts or uses the honorific "Sifu" needs to live by the old "noblesse oblige" / "rank has obligations". (spelling?)

Chango
11-15-2002, 12:11 AM
I see why some may feel that it is no big deal to treat your Sifu as just a good freind. I feel like your Sifu deserves much more then that! I personally do not feel that it is a ego thing or a thing where you are saying your sifu is better then you and so on. However I think it sets the proper learning enviorment. It sets the platform for the passing of information. sure the stundent should always challenge what he/she is learning but at the same time before the challenge is made the student must recieve all of the information. The Sifu is then responsible for the presentation of this information and should pay close attention to when the student is ready. So this requires great care and trust. So at this point the Sifu can now come from a authoritative position. I also feel that your sifu is your connection to those that had the system before his/her generation. Your Sifu represents your lineage and the generations before him/her to you. I think these reasons as well as many others would merit an amount of respect paid to the Sifu. With that in mind it is only reasonable that if a person's Sifu is mentioned in a thread it tends to personalize the thread. As we have witnessed many times this becomes counter-productive!

(my post is in the context of the original quote)

Just my financed 2 cents :)

Chango (saat geng sau)