PDA

View Full Version : Grappling/CMA vs. two opponents

BSH
11-13-2002, 01:28 PM
I personally believe that a downside to grappling vs. striking is if your opponent has a friend. You may completely control your opponent, but leave yourself exposed to his friend taking a cheap shot.

I'm a believer that people don't screw with you unless they are confident they have an advantage. Most times, this means they are bigger/stronger, have a weapon when you don't, or have friends they know will back them up.

What does a grappler do when confronted by multiple attackers?

ewallace
11-13-2002, 03:08 PM
Most likely they use their grappling skill so that they are not taken down to the ground, and can get up quickly if they are. And they are at just as much disadvantage as a striker who has his/her/it's back turned to the opponent's friend.

TaoBoy
11-13-2002, 03:22 PM
BSH, this topic has been covered ad nauseum. Do a search for old threads and you should find your answers.

:)

MA fanatic
11-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Yes, this topic has been covered numerous times on virtually every martial arts forum. lol Well, most grapplers are not idiots. They will not go to the ground if they see more than one apponent. As all forms of fighting, grappling has weaknesses. I can ask the same question of striking artists. What do you do if one of those two assailants had as little as 2 years of highschool wrestling? You're down on the ground helpless with both kicking your but. What do stand up fighters do if they have to fight on ice? What if they slip and fall? The possibilities are endless. Keep in mind that most grapplers have striking skills, and are good enough athletes to handle themselves on the ground and on their feet. If you're talking BJJ, most bjj guys have standup skills (basic muay thai style kicks and punches). Judo guys can exicute multiple throws and sambo guys have an arsenal of hand to hand combat techniques. Greco Roman and Freestyle Wrestlers are athletes who don't really think about fighting at all. If they think about fighting, the cross train (many Olympic style wrestlers changed to NHB after retiring and got supplemental training). I have to say that most grapplers are such good athletes, that even with standup training, they could hold their own better than an average CMA black belt.
MA fanatic

BSH
11-14-2002, 10:54 AM
Sorry, I thought I screwed up and didn't post this, so I restarted a second one.

Nothing like re-hashing old topics. Still I prefer to read the most up to date thoughts. If you don't want to post, don't bother. If you do, please post on the other thread.

Thanks again.

rogue
11-14-2002, 11:11 AM
There's no set formula. There are many things to do and none of them 100%. Heck you'd be lucky if they work 50% of the time. Anything can work given the right conditions, skill and lotsa luck.

In practice one solution I've found to two strikers is to get behind one and put him between you and the other. The hard part is controlling him so you can move him around and also keeping him off balance enough not to send an elbow back your way. Try this with a grappler and he'll get you. Also if the guy falls and your grip is too good it's bye bye.