PDA

View Full Version : mouse shoulder

abobo
11-13-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm going to cut my computer usage to the bare minimum, because every time I start surfing my right shoulder bothers me.

I do internal and external rotations about once a week, on shoulder day, and stretches just about every other day. But I'm convinced now that mouse usage is bad for you.

I'll probably incorporate this program (http://www.dolfzine.com/page391.htm) when I'm done with my current cycle. Ironfist or anyone else - any comments, additions, or testimonials for this kind of program?

I've been mulling over some changes that I will probably make - first, I dislike flyes, and will probably try a machine press or decline bench for chest, which don't seem to bother my shoulder as much.
Second, six days a week is a lot. I doubt it will be practical to do more than four, since I'll be using my gym membership and not home equipment. Thirdly, deadlifts and shrugs never cause any shoulder discomfort, yet the program warns against them. Lastly, I'm going to try this (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Supraspinatus/CBFrontLateralRaise.html) exercise.

My only problem has been with dumbell flat bench press, incline bench, shoulder press / arnolds, and lateral raises. Dive bombers aren't too friendly either. They all make my shoulder click and cause slight pain, even when I warm up the rotator cuff and stretch.

Outside the gym, throwing makes it pretty sore.

I took two weeks off a while ago, and it helped, until I started using the computer again.

Anyway, I'm sure that rotator cuff emphasis is long overdue. Any other suggestions on how to make my shoulder feel as fresh as a daisy?

FatherDog
11-13-2002, 04:49 PM
You should consider getting a trackball. Since all you move is your finger, you can rest your arm on your desk/chair and never put stress on your shoulder.

abobo
11-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Suggestion noted. There are a few exercises here (http://www.lakewoodclinic.com/Rotator_Cuff_x.html) that I haven't tried. Also, at what point is ice needed?

rubthebuddha
11-13-2002, 10:54 PM
when it's sore.

it's that simple.

icebear
11-14-2002, 03:54 AM
I've also experienced problems with computer usage. I now use the trackball, on both left and right side. I also have gotten a flat screen that sits closer to the table so I don't have to lift my head.

For me the problem is that I have (plenty for a woman) muscles that get stiff easy, so the problem isn't lack of muscle and therefore I won't do the ususal weightlifting things (tried it, makes me stiffer)...what really helped me is stretching the neck and arms every day, not using the computer to much, but the most important is training where I move my arms a lot and get the bloodflow going, like karate (kumite)....one doctor told me that any activity that would reduce the tension in the muscles to zero (totally exhaust them) would be good, because computerwork makes it do the exactly opposite, static tension all day. He suggested crosscountry skiing, btw.

rubthebuddha
11-14-2002, 02:26 PM
track ball is right, but you're doing that now.

more importantly, stretch more often during the day, even if it's just a few minutes. you need to keep your muscles loose -- all of them. so don't just stretch one part like your upper back and shoulders. get your chest and lats, too. main reason is that if one side is tighter than the other, it will pull. if one side is looser, it will be pulled more easily. and that pull will continue all day long, tiring those muscles out and making them even more tense.

stretch, stretch, stretch.

WinterPalm
11-16-2002, 05:48 PM
After too long on the computer, specifically surfing the web, I find that my right arm gets very cold and tense. I believe this is from the usage of the mouse.

rubthebuddha
11-18-2002, 01:54 PM
rest your arm on the desk and for pete's sake, get a trackball

abobo
02-23-2003, 10:58 PM
My shoulder isn't what I'd call 100% yet, but it is getting better. I did the high volume workouts from Ken O'Neill's article for a while. All that other stuff I thought of doing wasn't necessary. His workout was pretty good as written.

Since I'm starting PtP, it will be hard to keep up that kind of frequency again. Also, I think I've had enough of the high volume, because I want to see if I can actually make my shoulders stronger.

Anybody here do separate rotator cuff work? If so, how often and how heavy?

abobo
02-23-2003, 11:02 PM
I think that after you kind people answer these latest questions of mine, I'm going to have to limit the computer usage again. I still need to get that trackball, for one thing.

Laughing Cow
02-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Abobo.

You can get the Trackball or try to find a mouse that suits your hand better.
Most that come with a PC are pretty rubbish and too generic (too big or too small).

Try a Mouse-pad with a wrist rest or similar, go for a BIG Mouse-pad if you use one.

If possible get an optical Mouse, preferably cordless or with a long cable.

Also make sure you got plenty of space to move the mouse around on your Desk. Optical Mouse will work on any surface and you can ditch the Mouse-pad. :D

Last thing make sure that you PC and Monitor at on a surface of the correct height for your build and size.

[Edit]
Check your work area, if you get a steady draft on your shoulder than it will make it hurt.
Air-Cons and similar are bad news.

Cheers.

P.S.: I use the maybe 7~9 hours a day, my shoulder hardly moves and rest on the Desk, most movements are from the wrist.

PLCrane
02-24-2003, 07:04 AM
Use the other hand.

Get someone to work the trigger points out of the muscles around the shoulder and elbow, especially the infraspinatus. You might be able to do it yourself if you've got a good reach. Hold pressure on the most tender point for 20-30 seconds.

X marks the spot:
http://www.cybcon.com/~drrick/GRAPHICS/2ARTGFX/02ARTGFX/infraspinatus.gif

fa_jing
02-24-2003, 12:17 PM
I think you may be storing tension in the forearm and wrist - try to relax more. I noticed I was screwing up everything from the shoulder down just for writing by hand, seems to be a habit I picked up in my school years without realizing it.