PDA

View Full Version : martial tai chi in chicago?

CrippledAvenger
11-13-2002, 04:37 PM
can anyone recommend a good martial tai chi teacher in chicago?

Royal Dragon
11-13-2002, 05:05 PM
Wai Lun Choi, He teaches "Combat" Tai Chi, as well as Li Hu, Ba Fa and some other cool arts.

http://www.liuhopafa.com/

Water Dragon
11-13-2002, 05:27 PM
My old school trains out in Addison now. The lineage is William CC Chen and Dr. Tao Ping-Siang, mostly as taught through Nathan Menaged. It's a study group, and not ran by any established master, but the training is solid.

If you want to do Tui Shou and Shuai Chiao, you can always come down to Hammond and I'd be more than happy to work out with ya.

scotty1
11-14-2002, 05:45 AM
*hijack*

anyone know of any martial internals teachers around Wenzhou in Zheijiang province in Eastern China?

Taiji preferably.

Thanks.

*end hijack*

CrippledAvenger
11-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the respose guys,

royal dragon,

Wai Lun Choi, huh? he certainly looks impressive. I;m definitely going to have to call him and see if he'll let me look at afew classes. I've never heard of liu he ba fa before. can anyone describe it?

water dragon,

do you have any contact info for that group you used to study with? The Shuai chiao sounds interesting too. can you give me a little more information about it or point me someplace that has some?

Water Dragon
11-14-2002, 01:43 PM
Sure. The Taiji group is ran by Shawn Parkes and Greg Kozeny. Shawn has actually done some boxing as well in the past. I'll hunt up a phone number and shoot it to ya via private message.

For Shuai Chiao, you should probably check out www.combatshuaichiao.com or www.shuaichiao.org

fa_jing
11-14-2002, 02:42 PM
I'm taking up Tai Chi next month, but not for martial.

SevenStar
11-14-2002, 03:56 PM
so you decided you're gonna quit wing chun altogether?

fa_jing
11-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Like I said, no more martial. Just Art, health, meditation, culture.
Actually, I just did Sim Lum Tao. I have enough Wingchun to work forever on my own. I probably won't being doing much work on it for a while, though, until I feel comfortable with jarring movements. I have mulitiple issues going on now.

Royal Dragon
11-14-2002, 08:32 PM
I have mulitiple issues going on now.
Reply]
Yup, you and me both. I was told i'd never do ANY Kung fu Again, so the fact that I suck does not bother me now because at least I'm still in the game.

CrippledAvenger
11-15-2002, 04:00 AM
Water dragon,

The contact info for the Tai Chi would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I think I'll pass on the Shuai Chiao for a while. I snapped my ankle in two playing rugby a few months ago so I'm a bit leary of being thrown. (This is why I'm doing my research now, so when I get the okay, I don't have to waste time looking for a teacher.)

by the way, are all Shuai Chiao players that rough and tumble? It looks like good stuff, if they are. Man, being crippled sucks.

Water Dragon
11-15-2002, 08:37 AM
Sure, I need to hunt down Shawn's phone number, and I'll get it to you. Actually, they do have a website now that I think of it. www.chicagotaijiquan

Check out all the info on Nathan that you can.

Yes, the Shuai Chiao is pretty rough in general, it's the nature of the art. Sorry to hear about your ankle.

fa_jing
11-15-2002, 08:42 AM
Where you at? How far are your willing to travel?

CrippledAvenger
11-15-2002, 03:01 PM
WaterDragon,

It's cool. don't worry about tearing your house apart to find it or anything. I should be able to do the legwork (no pun intended) in a few weeks. At least I have an idea where to look now.

fa_jing,

I'm in Kenwood, on the southside. I wouldn't mind a fair amount of travel, as long as I'm not heading clear out to Kenosha.

thanks, guys.