PDA

View Full Version : a question

David Jamieson
11-13-2002, 06:06 PM
What do any of you know about the following information.

1. The Hung style is further broken down in four other styles they are:

Hung Gar, Hung Juen, Hung Mei and Hung Men

Does this ring a bell with any of you? I came across this information some time ago and it sprang to mind again with a statement one of the posters here made about how popular Hung Men is in the Toisan styles.

comments?

peace

Gwa Sow Chop
11-13-2002, 09:16 PM
I have always been taught it was another way of saying the same thing.
Although it should be said that the word Hung represents a sweeping diversity across the board. I have been to hung gar schools that dont do "any" of the "usual" material commonly associated with Hung gar. So some schools use the name to differentiate themselves from the "other" guys on the block.

Oh yeah..... gar, kuen,mei,moon
hung style
hung fist
hung fraternity?
hung door( society)

Keep kickin'

David Jamieson
11-15-2002, 02:00 PM
Here is what I have learned about this.

Hung Mei is "face of Hung" or "eyebrow of Hung" and is derived from the Northern Shaolin while the other three are of the southern traditions (k(j)uen, men, gar)

Hung Gar = House of Hung or Hung Family

Hung Juen (kuen) = Fist of Hung or Hung Fist

Hung Men (Door of Hung or Hung gate)

These three styles are southern traditions and cover many of the same materials as is found in the largest and most widespread styles using the name Hung Gar.

The five ancestors being Hung, Lai, Choy, Li and Mok in this tradition with the ancestor Hung's style being further spread and grown as the Hung Gar,Hung Mei, Hung Kuen and Hung Men.

As I understand it, Hung Gar style is further changed in what is offered as far as the extra sets beyond the pillar sets, but even then have seen the same named sets performed quite differently in flavour and in sequence. Yet these sets have the same name. I speak of course of the tiger/crane, taming the tiger and the five animals sets. I have also seen the iron wire performed differently from one school to anothers showing.

The Hung Men styles are even more different and thow the sets have all the same elements, the sequencing changes and power is generated differently.

The Hung Kuen style, is closer to the Hung Men in that these seem to be "village" styles of Hung and contains all the elements of each, yet again, sequence and power generation techniques are different.

The Hung Mei style is quite interesting and not well known, but contains interesting material that is again quite different from the rest.

So, as far as I can see, this is what happens.

A large puzzle, with all the same pieces is given to many people in many different places. They all put the puzzle together with these pieces and produce a finished result that is unique to their own understanding and presentation.

The Hung styles have both northern and southern shaolin elements throughout when you come to know them.

They are all definitely Shaolin though, and that is perhaps the most interesting part. Mr. Hung, must've been very busy out of the five in the spreading of this knowledge.

peace

nospam
11-15-2002, 04:38 PM
Ah...yeah. That about sums it up Lek :D

nospam.
:cool:

David Jamieson
11-15-2002, 06:36 PM
Just trying to grasp the breadth and depth of it all no spam :D

Actually, I'm fishing for deeper answers! Making connections and getting to the root of what is with us today.

Hope you are well by the way and that your training is successful.

peace

Shaolin Master
11-15-2002, 07:39 PM
Hung was as much a symbol of strength, rebellion and resistance as it was a person so a name is a vague determination of origin especially in the Hung case.

David Jamieson
11-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Agreed!

The same can be said for Shaolin too. :D

Fascinating stuff though.

peace