PDA

View Full Version : How many have Sparred BJJ

Seventh Sun
11-13-2002, 06:13 PM
I was just thinking how many kung fu guys have sparred BJJ guys. I have been looking for about a month for a good kung fu school in the dallas area but all that i seem to find are those called BJJ "fighting schools". I have read many posts here and it seems that Bjj guys do not think very highly of kung fu people. My question is have any kung fu guys on this list ever fought BJJ guy and won or beat them at their own game by not letting them take you to the ground? and secondly is their cry of being the better art all false or some true? thank you guys for your answers. I am so lost as to which way to to turn. I want what works not what will get my head kicked in trying to pull off.

Thanks
Sage

grifter721
11-13-2002, 08:33 PM
Anytime I ahve sparred with a ground dude, you give em a whole combo before they get you to the ground. Nuff said.

Stacey
11-14-2002, 08:22 AM
Yes...win some lose some. Mostly now its win though. They expect things of you just like you expect things that they will do.

8 step has ground fighting and ground counter. Not in theory, but real ones that work. Plus dirty tricks to turn the tides in your favor. I seldom pull out the little nasties, because they are easy to pick up on. Fist of all I go for hits and large joint locks, legs, ankles, arms, then wrists and fingers.

Its no worse than mexican judo.

Besides, they are human.

karate men once were known to kill with one blow because the masters could., twiggy little guys in the 60's and 70's thought they could too. Now we know better.

The Gracies, a familly of masters trained from birth are excellent. No doubt about it. Their wannabee legions are no different than the twiggy karate guys of the 70's.

MightyB
11-14-2002, 08:39 AM
I wrestled a guy who supposably studied BJJ at a TKD School???(weird but true). I think that he was pretty low level though. We weren't throwing strikes, he was under the impression that BJJ is the stuff and I thought otherwise. My opinion is that a good wrestler can take a BJJ guy so I put my opinion to the test (Heck, I'm not even a good wrestler). Anyhoo, nothing much happened. He couldn't do anything to me and I couldn't do much to him. After a couple of minutes, my sihing stopped us because, in his words, he couldn't stand to see two men dry-humping any longer.

My opinion of BJJ remains the same.

Seventh Sun
11-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Stacey
karate men once were known to kill with one blow because the masters could., twiggy little guys in the 60's and 70's thought they could too. Now we know better.

The Gracies, a familly of masters trained from birth are excellent. No doubt about it. Their wannabee legions are no different than the twiggy karate guys of the 70's.

That is the best i have ever heard it explained. Thank you. Stacy!!! Great theory!!!

And Mighty B. Yeah the dry humping thing would freak me out a little to if i walked in to a kung fu or BJJ school. you should thank you Si Hing. lol

Thanks again for the info.
Sage

TaoBoy
11-14-2002, 04:07 PM
I study both CMA and BJJ and both have their advantages. To answer your question about BJJers not liking CMA it's more that they are sick of false claims made by some CMA practitioners. But, I think the animosity between the two schools of thought has been blown out of the water. It's mostly fools arguing on the internet. If you walk into most BJJ schools you will find the guys are really down to earth and are happy to share their ideas.

HuangKaiVun
11-15-2002, 09:40 PM
I haven't sparred a BJJ person before, but in my school we go to the ground continually.

In fact, I was forced to submit by one of my students recently. I was controlling the standup game, but it wasn't taking effect because we weren't trying to hurt each other. So I got taken down, and then I got caught in an anklelock.

One of my friends who works on the website for the Gracies told me that they feel that they can beat anybody in the ring. I nodded and said "For that arena, yes".

Praying Mantis is definitely not the best art for the octagon. You might pull off an eye gouge or ear tear, but it's ILLEGAL.

cha kuen
11-20-2002, 03:13 AM
BJJ guys get real "sparring " practice in their training while not all kung fu styles have "sparring" practice.

Free fighting, psychology, emotion and pain have a lot to do with fighting..

Praying Mantis Books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Oso
11-27-2002, 10:18 AM
if you don't have any ground skills it would be a smart plan to get some.

I agree, a good wrestler can compete with a good bjj guy.
Skill level is always relative.

I went to a seminar several years ago at a karate school of a friend of mine and there was a 4 hour block taught by a guy who
had supposedly spent 4 years training with the Gracie's in Brazil.

Don't know if that was true but I enjoyed the ground drill he taught that day and use it to introduce students to the ground.
I also use principle's I learned as a high school wrestler and jr high wrestling coach. I have also been fortunate to have ground work taught to me in the kung fu I have learned.

so, after the seminar, the bjj contingent was talking about wanting to roll around with some of us. That was enough of an invite for me. I ended up taking the instructor down and maintianded control for 10-15 minutes until I finally got a tap out
from him. He was bigger than me by 20 or so lbs and a little taller. Funny though, after the takedown I went for a finger lock that I was going to work into an arm lock and he cried foul at the
small circle stuff so I came off of the fingers and worked the arm
lock by itself. Tougher and that's why it took 15 minutes to get
the tap out from him :D

On the flipside, one of his juniors got me in an ankle lock and got
the tap out from me. This guy was smaller than me by 20 lbs or
so. Just goes to show ya ......

all in all they were an ok group of people, a little arrogent but no
more so than some other martial arts people I've met.

If you don't have any ground work in your system bjj can be a
good place to get some.

Happy Turkey Day !!!

matt

sweaty_dog
11-27-2002, 11:11 AM
BJJ vs Kung Fu is almost always going to be inconclusive. Often a BJJ player is thinking about trying different moves, getting positions etc. A Kung Fu fighter will be thinking about what he could do in a "real" fight, like attacking eyes or the groin. The BJJ guy says "Hey I swept him and got mount, I won." The kung fu guy says, "he left himself open for strikes a dozen times, I could have killed him." All this superiority rubbish will never be sttled until every kung fu and BJJ guy get into a huge maul and kill each other, and the only one left alive can call him/herself the best.

Anyway, as far as the whole style vs style bull**** goes anyone who assumes they can beat an entire other style easily is an idiot. Billy Blanks does Tae Bo, but I would be in no hurry to fight him. To me, it is the person who trains hard and realistically who wins, not the one who follows the best style. Confidence, athleticism and experience are way more important than which kind of technique you use.

To answer your question, yes I have sparred against BJJ quite a lot, it is almost the only thing I train right now. When I first started BJJ I had a few "wins" just by being aggressive and going outside the rules of BJJ, which fed my ego but didn't prove a whole lot. As far as I am concerned BJJ is a great style and a lot of fun, but to be more effective it is good to mix it with something like Judo, boxing or san shou.
I think the problem some of the less polite BJJ people have with Kung Fu is that they see people whose theories extend far beyond what they actually do. I have to point out that these people are a minority, mostly BJJ people are thinking about the next competition and they really have no interest at all in other styles outside of wrestling and Judo.
I remember a couple of people at a kung fu school I went to talking about empty force and being able to defeat "hard stylists" through the very complex mechanics of that particular style. I have some doubts about whether those people could have defeated an average person of the same weight let alone a whole gang. The same is sadly true of BJJ where some people look at Minotauro beating other fighters in the ring and assume they can do the same. Train hard, ignore over confident idiots.

Lowlynobody
12-03-2002, 04:24 AM
Couldn't say it any better. Train hard in what you choose to do. Tis all you need.

By the way I hear you might be coming down to check out Sifu Garry's Yau Kung Mun school sometime. Look forward to checking out some BJJ.