PDA

View Full Version : Push ups, situps, i need help

Zhiu
11-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Well not for push ups and situps but I guess I should formally introduce myself.

I'm a Canadian (eh) and I've played around with Tai Chi since I was really young but I've only started training seroiusly for about 6 months or so now so I'm not the greatest one out there. Along the way I picked up wushu with a friend and did wing chun for a short while.

For wushu I need to be physically fit because of all the jumping and the forms and everything so I regularily do pushups, jumps, situps and occasionally i run to better myself for it.

My question is, is it damaging to my tai chi to do the pushups and jumps? i don't use it when i push hands cause my si hing can tell whether or not i'm using brute force. Also I get talked to a lot about how doing tai chi loosens up your intestines which I can sort of feel sometimes but would doing situps sort of reverse the process because you're tightening your stomach muscles?

I don't weight train and i've read numerous posts on weight training so I was curious what are your people's knowledge/experience on this?

much help is appreciated!!!

Nexus
11-13-2002, 11:55 PM
Dear Zhui,

Your push ups and situps are a fine activity and will not damage your t'ai chi training as long as you do them moderately. If you do them excessively, your abdomen will become tight and your arms will become stiff. You will not be able to relax enough to move the entire body as one unit because your limbs and torso will be disconnected. T'ai chi emphasizes a 'sung' attitude, or a 'wuchi' attitude which can be roughly translated to mean relaxed awareness.

Simply put, do not worry, just make sure your training is balanced and you are enjoying yourself as well. Keep at it and have fun!

taijiquan_student
11-14-2002, 02:38 PM
Just make sure you're able to let go of all the tension from the sit ups and push-ups.

Zhiu
11-14-2002, 02:49 PM
awesome, cause i practise tai chi in the day with my si hing for about half an hour each day then half an hour practise by myself then some of the none tai chi training so i hope that balances out.

thanks people

TaoBoy
11-14-2002, 04:36 PM
Zhiu, it's all about balance. Just make sure that your are doing everything in moderation and that you can achieve the relaxed state as required.