PDA

View Full Version : Terminology: what's in a name?

quiet man
11-14-2002, 06:20 AM
I want to ask all of you (the more the better) something about the names of WC techniques, particularly techniques found in SLT. Obviously, everybody knows Taan/Tan sau, Bong sau, Pak sau, Fook/Fok sau, Wu sau, Jut sau... but what about the others? The thing is, my sifu doesn't care much for the names; still, I think it's nice to know these things (it widens your theoretical if not your practical knowledge). From what I've heard, not all techniques in WC were given their specific names; some were added later (e.g., Ding/Ting sao) and some movements still are "nameless".
For example, in the beginning of SLT, when you cross your hands in front of you - some call it "Sup jee/yee sau", some "Double cultivating hand", some don't call it anything... what's the right term?
Also, do you know about something called "Sow Jong" (Back elbow)?... I can't connect that name with any of the movements in SLT.
So, I would be very grateful if you could write down "your" version of SLT, with names and everything, in correct order - you know, like "Left Yat jee kuen - Huen sau, return - right Yat jee kuen - Huen sau, return - left Taan sau - Wu sau - Fook sau..." and so on. Or, you could simply enumerate them. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
I am not interested in obtaining free online lessons :-), only in exchanging thoughts and experiences, and, if possible, clearing some things up.

TIA,

quiet man

black and blue
11-14-2002, 06:50 AM
Check Rene's site (www.wingchunkuen.com)

He gives a breakdown (in technique terms) for SNT and CK. I believe it's in the Routines section of the site.

www.realwingchun.co.uk gives a breakdown of SNT and CK in terms of what the techniques/motions are, and where energy should be applied.

Some explanations vary, however. The elbow breaking/damaging motions in CK are refered to as Tok Sau in my club. I'm not entirely sure, but I think others call this Jeep Sau.

Rene - Thanks for the explanation with regards 'inside join'. :)

quiet man
11-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks a bunch, o blue and black one :D ;) .

I think that elbow breaking motion you're referring to IS Jeep/Jip sau - it combines Jut sau and Tok sau

joy chaudhuri
11-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Quiet man and others- I dont have the call numbers handy but
you can look up Augustine Fong's website...there is a fairly large dictionary of Cantonese wing chun terms. Some of these terms are common to other wing chun lines--the basic terms. Many others are line
specific. Many teachers traditionally corrected the motions rather than teach the nomenclature. I am a middle of the roader- perhaps a rationalization- I dont use every one of the terms for all motions- but I think that knowing enough of them helps with communication within and outside of one's lineage.

Grendel
11-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by joy chaudhuri
Quiet man and others- I dont have the call numbers handy but
you can look up Augustine Fong's website...there is a fairly large dictionary of Cantonese wing chun terms. Some of these terms are common to other wing chun lines--the basic terms. Many others are line
specific. Many teachers traditionally corrected the motions rather than teach the nomenclature. I am a middle of the roader- perhaps a rationalization- I dont use every one of the terms for all motions- but I think that knowing enough of them helps with communication within and outside of one's lineage.

http://fongswingchun.com/terms.htm