PDA

View Full Version : Any info would be greatly appreciated on these two rare southern animal styles?

Seeker of the Way
06-01-2000, 01:11 AM
I have learned of two rare animal styles from my Sifu, Wei Ming. They are both -trez- complex, or at least they seem so to a novice like me /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'd really love to hear if any of you have any knowledge of these subjects. Any ranting, yodeling and raving will be accepted. If you have heard anything, I'd be glad.

The first one is Sci(Not sure if it's Sci, it sounds like it) Dog Kung Fu.

It is allegedly only practiced by a single family of 82 members. It is focused on hardening and very agressive short arm techniques. It seems to be a style that is sort of limited in it's forms, but is very swift and agressive, sometimes winning contest through pure intimidation.

The other one is Black Scorpion Kung Fu. The basic stance is lying down on your palms and feet, as if you were doing push-ups, and then with your left feet curled up behind your back like a tail. From there, beautiful double kicks and short hard palm strikes can be made. Focus is also taken on evasion.

Well, that's all I know. If you got any info on origins, techniques or anything on these two styles, I'd love to hear of it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SotW

------------------
The dance of life, the capering of elements, and skip of gods. The dance is mine, I AM the dance.

mantis108
06-01-2000, 02:40 AM
With all due respect, Sci Dog Kung Fu? Black Scorpion Style? This sound too much like those famous Chinese martial arts novels by Cha Leung Yung (Kam Yung). There is a Character in his novels actually name Sci Dog (Western Venom) who came from Western region of China. That is a ficitional character! Black Scorpion might be ligit (although IMHO very doubtful) Sorry, it sounds too much like the Shaw Bros. movie "Five Venoms" Which has Snake, Centerpiedes, Scorpion, Todd, and Spider. Coincidently, Scorpion has lots of kicks (back flip kicks). Again, it is fictional. I seldom would tag red flags. On this one, I strongly suggest that you found out more about it.

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Seeker of the Way
06-01-2000, 04:02 AM
Ah, Thanks for your feedback. I admit that I know -very- little about ScorpĂ*on Kung Fu. My teacher showed me a video clip from a competition in china, where a man entered the scorpion stance, and won his match by doing a double back flip kick. It looked inhuman, but I guess a camera can't lie /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But I digress. I may be off on a wild goose chase, but my teacher knows the basic scorpion stance and one or two moves...he says he got it off his old teacher, who was reluctant to teach it.

The Dog Kung Fu, though, I got far more solid material on. My teacher have spent a month with the aforementioned family, and learned their family style, Dog Kung Fu. He just knows some of the style, and the basic stances, and that's that.

If you, or anyone else on this forum knows something, shout it out /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'll swallow it whole http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

So far, thanks, man..

SotW

------------------
The dance of life, the capering of elements, and skip of gods. The dance is mine, I AM the dance.

J
06-01-2000, 10:13 PM
Hi,

Dog kung fu does exist. I don't what the Sci part refers to. There is a book called Fukien Ground Boxing by Cai Chu-Xian. It is written in English and may be available through Amazon or local bookstores. Take a look at this book.

Good luck

mantis108
06-01-2000, 11:38 PM
Fukien Dog style, Gau Kuen, the one that has the seated half butterfly stance? Intriguing... If that's the case, congratulations for seeker. I have found a rear style. I'm sorry if I have sounded negative. You know what you are in for that's great.

Great info J, thanks

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Ben Gash
06-04-2000, 05:47 PM
Is that the same as earth dragon boxing? The one with all the kicks with both hands on the floor (cocking the leg), sweeps and groundrolling?

Seeker of the Way
06-05-2000, 04:37 PM
Sorry if I'm acting a little slow here, but like mentioned previously, I'm new to Kung Fu.

The mentioned stances don't mean very much to me, but I am led to believe that the dog style basic stance is very low, sort of crouched, and from there you sort of bolt or launch forward, aggressively chain-striking and punching hard to overwhelm opponents. Members of this 'Dog Family' often won contests purely on their aggressive ways of attacking.

I still don't know much on Scorpion Kung Fu...

Thanks to Mantis and J, Keep that cool info running, man http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

Peace out /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SotW

------------------

dooder
06-13-2000, 12:08 AM
One of the kung fu magazines sorry I can't rember which one had an article about rare kung fu animal styles. It wasen't very in depth but the described the scorpien style and it is real and it does have those hands on the groundone back leg up stuff. There's a dog style too but i was told it's mostly an exibition style and pretty rare now. The coolest thing in the article was the fetus style. It's extremely rare and very strange. A lot of weird hunched up stances. Anyone out there do that style?

Sihing73
06-13-2000, 12:15 AM
Dooder,

I was once a master of "Fetus" style however, I found an even more advanced system which was called "Infant"style but even that paled in comparison to "Toddler" Style. I am now working on a secret system known as "Elderly" style /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Peace,

Dave

Sihing73
06-13-2000, 12:17 AM
Dooder,

Sorry forgot to add this:
"Fetus" style can be mastered in a short time, only took me about 9 months /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif while Infant style was a bit harder average training time seems to be about 2 years and then toddler is about another 2-3 years after that. As for elderly style, this can take a lifetime /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Peace,

Dave

Hey relax /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif it's all in fun.

Monkey
06-13-2000, 12:21 AM
Fetal fighting ?????
here is a humorous take on that !
http://www.ettishfetalfighting.8m.com/

Ben Gash
06-13-2000, 02:48 PM
Shihing73. Not so far fetched. Did you know that in the 5 ancestors boxing of the Chee Kim Thong lineage there is an "old man" set?