PDA

View Full Version : Why Did You Decide to Teach Wing Chun?

Grendel
11-14-2002, 02:16 PM
Why did you decide to teach Wing Chun?

I am not a teacher, but I look at this hard won knowledge and at the age of the second and third generation of Yip Man students, and realize that someone will have to pick up the torch for it to be preserved. I also realize that I care about this, that is, preserving Leung Sheung Wing Chun for future generations.

At some point down the road, I will probably seek the opportunity to continue the tradition that I have studied under.

What are others thoughts on teaching Wing Chun from their own respective lineages?

Regards,

reneritchie
11-14-2002, 02:43 PM
I was given (hesitant ;) ) permission to teach by my sifu and later my sigung, but I've yet to actually take any students of my own. I do help out with beginners classes on occasion, especially if no one else is available, but nothing beyond that. I know a lot of people are drawn to martial arts with the desire to teach it (how many are drawn to math class with the desire to be a math teacher, to baseball with the desire to be a baseball coach?) but I really just wanted to learn it. Personally see it as a tremendous responsibility, and not one to undertake without the firmest grasp possible of the task. One day, when I've simplified things for myself, grown more focused and patient, and have a more profound understanding of the art, I may try to pass it on, but maybe not.

RR

yuanfen
11-14-2002, 02:50 PM
Grendel asks:Why did you decide to teach Wing Chun?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. To share with those who care

2. to go deeper into a subject that I care about. Teaching is a great way to be a perpetual student of a subject.

3. to be part of the continued transmission of the art....hoping enough people will see it's inner beauty and go beyond fighting.,,
after they have conquered their primitive fears at laest to some extent.

Marshdrifter
11-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Truthfully, I don't really teach, which is a good thing considering
my paltry three years of experience. Occasionally, I do lead
class when my Sifu can't make it (his day job keeps him pretty
busy). It's also my responsibility in class to correct any obvious
mistakes I see in the lower ranked students.

I enjoy this, sometimes. I learn a lot from the questions I'm
forced to answer. Sometimes this can be good things I've never
thought about.

OTOH, the more I do this and the more I learn, the more I realize
how much I don't know about Wing Chun. I frankly barely feel
qualified to do what I do, let alone teach.

I wouldn't mind teaching, although I like the idea of being a
student for a long long time. I can't imagine actually reaching the
point where I've actually figured out how everything is supposed
to work, at least to the point where I teach. I can't help but think
that to go to a place where I'm no longer constantly learning in
order to teach would greatly hinder my advancement. Perhaps,
that attitude will change when I'm actually ready to teach.
Perhaps, some year I'll move somewhere with no Wing Chun and
will be forced to teach in order to keep up my skill. The latter, I
think, is most likely what'll start me teaching, if anything.

old jong
11-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Teaching is a big part of learning to me.It is a big responsability specially when students ask questions about self-defense and things like that.I want them to cultivate skill ,not overconfidence.
It is also a very big and pleasant experience to see someone, who knew nothing about Wing Chun, becomes a good practitioner and enjoy it.

Teaching does'nt mean that I'm not a student anymore.I will always drive to Ottawa to see my Sifu (Patrick Gordon) for a good can of chisauasswhooping so I don't grow a big head!...;)

[Censored]
11-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Every minute you spend doing real Chi Sao with someone, you are teaching them, yes? IOW, there is no such thing as an "unexperience".

Wingman
11-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Why did you decide to teach Wing Chun?

To teach is to learn twice.

Mckind13
11-15-2002, 12:52 AM
There are several reasons I chose to teach.

Though I love the art and am grateful for my dedicated students I needed a group of people to train with and explore the art with too.

So by passing on the art I can share it, benefit others and work on my skills as well.

I agonize every day about whether I am passing on the right technical, tactical and mental attributes to my students. I am always examining the curriculum and my methods trying to make sure I am expressing the art in the clearest way I can and passing it along in the same spirit it was passed on to me.

Wing Chun is part of my day-to-day life and not just something I do two or three nights a week.

I know some Sifus who seem to live the unexamined life as far as there art is concerned.

I believe that though we may be using our Sifu’s curriculum and passing on an art with a great history and lineage, ultimately the school, methodology and spirit of the school/class is uniquely ours and we must take full responsibility for giving our students the highest quality most complete education possible.

:) David
Master of the Bedtime Kung fu