PDA

View Full Version : Clean Tea Cups...

Savi
11-14-2002, 03:44 PM
I would like to say thanks to those who have genuine interest in sharing their knowledge, ideas, and perspectives of Wing Chun. The moderator really hit the nail on the head with everything said. I look forward to more discussions in the future, as it seems we have a new 'slate'. I received this story a few months ago, and I thought it would be nice to post this here...

Keep training!
-Savi.

----------------------------------

"Drink My Tea With An Open Mind" By Vijaya Schartz

Drink My Tea With An Open Mind
How many times did we condemn or agree before hearing the other sides of a story? How many times did we stand accused of not listening carefully? How many times did we misinterpret or misunderstand a gesture, a word, an intention?

"When I invite you to share my knowledge," my old teacher used to say, "come to me with an open mind. When I invite you to drink my tea, bring a clean, empty cup. If our cup is already full, you'll drink only your old brew. If your cup is dirty, it may alter the taste. If your cup has a hole in it, not much will remain to drink. And if you hold your cup upside down, my tea will just spill around it."

"The same way," my teacher would go on, "when I share with you my philosophy of life, come with an open mind. If your mind is full of your own thoughts, there is no room or mine. If your head is cluttered with old junk, it will distort my teachings. If you do not pay attention, you won't remember what I said. If you come with a negative or judgmental attitude you waste your time listening to me."

"Only if you bring an open mind, will you taste and appreciate my tea. Then, and only then, after mulling it over, can you decide if you like it. And if you like it, I will be delighted to serve you more, or even give you the recipe." So, when others do us the honor of sharing with us their most private thoughts, whether at home, at work, or among friends, let us bring a clean, empty cup and listen to them with an open mind. We might even learn something in the process.

Grendel
11-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Savi

"When I invite you to share my knowledge," my old teacher used to say, "come to me with an open mind. When I invite you to drink my tea, bring a clean, empty cup.

My coworker said he had a friend who had been in and out of mental institutions. His friend would come over ever morning and ask for a bowl of cereal. My coworker would get it for him, and the mental outpatient would say he didn't need a spoon, because he brought one with him.

My coworker would tell him, "You're crazy."

His friend would say, "No, I'm not, I have a certificate that says so. Do you have a certificate that says you're not crazy?"

My coworker was forced to admit, he did not. :D
--------------------------------------

Don't read too much into this, I just thought it was a funny story and the story about bringing your own tea cup to tea reminded me of it. :D Based on the story, I used to print up certificates of sanity at work and hand them out to my coworkers as little gifts. Would you like one? :)

Regards,

45degree fist
11-14-2002, 06:09 PM
---Very enlightning Savi---

canglong
11-15-2002, 09:11 PM
Grendel do you print your own money as well?

Grendel
11-15-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by canglong
Grendel do you print your own money as well?
You won't tell the U.S. Treasury Department?

One of my varied and sundry careers was as a printer.

Regards,

Chango
11-15-2002, 11:32 PM
:)

AztecaPreist
11-16-2002, 05:16 PM
I always find that story told at the same time in my life where I do need to hear it. I am almost through with my sheriff's training and already having been trained in Wing Chun I found it so hard to even want to look at what they called deffensive tactics. It took some time but with that mind set I let go of my training just for a bit so that I could focus on what they had to show us,( taking in the tea and tasting it). Now that I know what they taught me and having it been tested I can now make a sound judgement on what was presented to me and move on with more knowledge then I had from before. Even if I never use what was taught to me the fact is this, I know more of what could happen and of what is most efficient to use all because I took the time to listen before reacting. There is nothing more wonderful then constantly updating your bio-computer.

Marty R

Train
11-17-2002, 02:27 AM
That's deep Savi Thanks....

All i can do is shake my head at Grendal....

Grendel
11-18-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Train

All i can do is shake my head at Grendal....

Hi Train,

Yep. I agree. You've got some real insight there. :p

I've still got those leftover certificates if you want one.... :D Do you carry your own spoon?

dezhen2001
11-18-2002, 06:51 AM
"there is no spoon" :D

dawood

Mr Punch
11-18-2002, 07:01 AM
"It's a chopstick"

- Matrix II: the Cutlery

:D

Sorry Savi, that was a very nice sip of cha.
Grendel, that was a strong Kenyan roast, but thanks anyway!:D

yuanfen
11-18-2002, 02:43 PM
yes -good cha, good kenyan roast , good jasmine and
then Himalayan Golden Orange Pekoe as freshly packed as
possible from Darjeeling via Calcutta.
One time I was bringing some back and the Hong Kong customs folks ruined my package by opening it since they were unfamiliar
with the aroma.

John Weiland
11-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
yes -good cha, good kenyan roast , good jasmine and
then Himalayan Golden Orange Pekoe as freshly packed as
possible from Darjeeling via Calcutta.
One time I was bringing some back and the Hong Kong customs folks ruined my package by opening it since they were unfamiliar
with the aroma.
Hi Joy,

Your story about customs folks reminded me of one....

Once upon a time, my friend and I were returning from Mexico in our borrowed 1954 Chevy Bel Aire and were stopped at the Nogales, Arizona border station.

"Anything to declare?" we were asked.

"Nothing but this submachine gun on the back seat," my friend replied.

I cannot do justice to the reaction that comment engendered. :D

The border guards kept the gun for him until he returned to pass through on the way back into Mexico. :cool:

Of course, I wouldn't recommend trying that now. :D

All the best,