PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun/Tsun effectiveness?

WT_Novice
11-14-2002, 04:13 PM
I posted this question on the aBudokan.com forum too but I wanted more answers and thought that there is probably more Wing Chun practicioners over here... This post was originally meant to be posted here in the Wing Chun forum but accidentally I posted it on the street defense forum too, so I'm sorry if it bothers anyone that I posted it on two forums... Just thought that I would get more answers from here...

Do you think that Wing Chun works for defense against other martial artists too?... and not just average bad fighters. Have you any experiense on for ex. sparring against a representant of another martial art, or fighting one in real life? Just asking because I just started Leung Ting Wing Tsun for about a month ago and think it's really fun and I wouldn't want to quit it, but I want to make sure it really works in real street defense. I have read about it alot in the internet, but lately I've visited forums where people think Wing Chun is just nonsense and that's why I've been doubtful. My Sifu is a really nice guy and he's a good techer in my opinion. Sorry 'bout the long post.
Other than wing chun practitioners opinions are also greatly appreciated...

Daredevil
11-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Heya,

I used to do WT (in Helsinki) too and would still be doing it if I hadn't found my current teacher who happened to be more in line with what I was looking for. I did it only for a bit under a year, but I still think I learned a great deal during that time.

Anyway, the teachers and students are cool -- a couple are friends of mine -- and were serious and practical about their training. Very no non-sense type of stuff. That's a lot more than you can say for most chinese martial art schools. If you want to see if it works, wait 'til you get to sparring and experience it yourself. I'd say the learning environment is the best I've seen of any chinese martial art in Helsinki.

Oh, and several of the older students in there also practise BJJ, which puts in an additional point of interest. It makes those WT's anti-grappling oriented classes so much nicer.

For me at least, WT did wonders for my punching power and taught me the basics of looking at martial arts as principle based, rather than technique based.

Grendel
11-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by WT_Novice

Do you think that Wing Chun works for defense against other martial artists too?... and not just average bad fighters. Have you any experiense on for ex. sparring against a representant of another martial art, or fighting one in real life?

I find it works best against old people and midgets without martial arts training. Heck, why not admit it, this stuff is just for show. Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are the only way to go. :D

Just kidding. :D

Of course this stuff works. Do you have specific situations in mind?

I have played with martial artists from many other styles and have a background of many styles as well, so I am confident that MY Wing Chun is effective. It can vary by school and teacher, so keep your eyes open and pay attention so that you're not wasting your time.

Regards,

AndrewS
11-14-2002, 06:33 PM
Daredevil,

Petteri and Matti have a reputation for consistently training good students. Great martial artists and good friends. Have you ever had a chance to show them baji's pole training?

WT_Novice,

I'm not going to make a ringing endorsement of all WT. Hang out in the art for a while and you'll see bad, good, and quality on par with any line or art I've ever encountered for time in (like the folks above).

Who are you comparing yourself to when you say 'martial artists'? Are you expecting magic? You aren't gonna go beat a semi-pro or pro boxer in the ring if you hit a couple of classes a week for a year, or tear up Igor Vovchenchyn. You should be able to beat the guy you were a year ago, and hold your own against someone of similar build with similar time in another art.

When you go out an play with guys from other systems 'sparring', and you wan to win, don't play their game. If you hang out in boxing range with a boxer, dance and trade kicks on the outside with a savate man or TKD player, and hit the ground with every grappler, you're gonna get yourself beaten fairly regularily. Kick the boxer then clinch, close on the kicker, and stay outside of body to body on the grappler. If you want to learn to solve those guys, then do those things, get comfortable in those places, and learn to get out of them without worrying too much about winning or losing.

Later,

Andrew

yuanfen
11-14-2002, 07:22 PM
If I didnt think that wing chun was effective as a system- but just against in house folks- I wouldnt have stuck with it all these years. Of course - no martial art is perfect in th era of gun fu
and there can be individual failure or circumstances beyond one's control and fate and karma.. Firstly, wing chun is about indivdual development of martial skills and not about techniques. Second and relatedly-
it has a perspective and method for analysing whatever structure and motion and timing issues that one faces.
But unless one stays the course with the art , the depth of it can be missed.

WT_Novice
11-15-2002, 08:21 AM
Hey Daredevil...
Helsinki Wing Tsun is where I go too. I like the atmosphere there and the teaher's are good in my opinion.

AndrewS: Where you from?

From AndrewS
Who are you comparing yourself to when you say 'martial artists'? Are you expecting magic? You aren't gonna go beat a semi-pro or pro boxer in the ring if you hit a couple of classes a week for a year, or tear up Igor Vovchenchyn.

No I'm not expecting magic. I do not expect myself to beat people who have been longer in the martial arts than me 'cause I know that no art is that superior that I could beat for ex. a semi-pro boxer after a little Wing Tsun training. I know you need practice to be better in something and I'm ready to train to get better in Wing Tsun. :cool:

Thank's for everyone who posted, and special thank's to Daredevil and AndrewS for telling me more about the people and training in Helsinki Wing Tsun. Now I can be moreconfident that I'm not in a McDojo. Allthough I didn't assume that in the first place when I had been there a couple of times. :)

AndrewS
11-15-2002, 10:30 AM
WT_Novice,

once again, if you're training with Petteri and Matti, you're in good hands. My sidai have bumped into their students on and off around the world and been invariably impressed with the skill displayed for a given grade.

Tell both of them I said hey, and I owe them both an e-mail.

Later,

Andrew