PDA

View Full Version : Yuanfen, This Is A Open Honest Question, No Flames Here!!!!

Geezer
11-15-2002, 07:46 AM
Yuanfen Wrote>

Revisiting my Gurkha teacher

As in Military or just from from that part of Nepal???????

The reason I'm asking is because I've been reading a book on the Gurkhas/Goorkhas.

If you would prefer I can send you a Private Message??????

Sheldon:)

yuanfen
11-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Geezer asks:Yuanfen Wrote>

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revisiting my Gurkha teacher
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As in Military or just from from that part of Nepal???????

The reason I'm asking is because I've been reading a book on the Gurkhas/Goorkhas.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont know what book you are reading. There are books and there are books.
I have known quite a few Gurkhas. I am from Bengal-gateway to Nepal. Darjeeling in Bengal is claimed by some Gurkhas as part of
the idealized Gurkha land. After 1947, the agreements in place
allowed Gurkha regiments in the Indian and British armies.The small Nepalese army also has Gurkhas.There are different types of Gurkhas.Lots of folks began to claim Gurkha background-but the clans, caste and specific family backgrounds are the key to top notch Gurkhas, The Brit Gurkhas have had ups and downs because of changes in the Empire-- Hong Kong etc.I have a concern that after retrenchment some may join mercenary groups elsewhere due to economic pressures. They were in patrols at the PRC border, Falklands, Bosnia possibly with the Brit force for specific Afghan missions. The Indian army Gurkhas have been in Kashmir, Bangladesh war, Sri Lanka, Kargil etc. After army tours of duty they are absorbed in various guarding duties in agencies and the private sector. The
person I was referring to is a "Gurung" one of the most distinguished Gurkha clans. After his army career he was absorbed into the corporate sector in India.
Another Gurung guarded our house ina period of civil strife-
a long time ago.
The true Gurkhas were originally Rajputs who migrated and fought their way to Nepal centuries ago and intermarried with local nepalese groups but keeping many Hindu traditions alive
(Durga-dassera, Kali etc).

Geezer
11-15-2002, 09:10 AM
Hi Yuanfen,

The book I've been reading is called The Gurkhas by Byron Farwell (ISBN: 039330714X if anyone is interested), I've grown up knowing about Gurkhas and how they fought for the British but I didn't know the details about how after the British Raj they were employed if you like by the Indian Army. The true Gurkhas are the closet thing I would say in this modern day and age to a Warrior.
I know during (I think) WW2 there was a shortage and they were taking Nepalese from other clans they even had two Chinese try and join which I guess they found quite humorous,no one could understand a word they were saying.
During the Falklands they were refered to by the Argentinians as Semi Human Drug Crazed Cannibals and because of this propaganda the Argentines deserted one of their posts.
I know in the UK at the moment allot of retired Gurkhas are taking the MOD to the hicourt over pensions and I for one hope they win, they fought for my country and died and I think they deserve the same respect and compensation as everyone else.

I know that they've fought against the Afghans before and they would be ideal to fight in that areav again.

If you have any suggestions on any books I could read on they're exploits please let me know, I know this is a WCK forum but I think understanding different warrior traits is something every budding MA should look into.

I'm envious of you for just having the experience to actually meet one let alone have one guard your house.

Regards

Sheldon;)

Geezer
11-15-2002, 09:19 AM
If you've ever seen Absolutely Fabulous,(the tall one) Joanna Lumley's father was an Officer with the Gurkhas and has been campaining hard for them in the UK for a few years now.

Geezer
11-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Couple of links for those that are interested,

http://www.gurkhas.com/

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/southasia/gurkha/RGR.htm

Sheldon;)

yuanfen
11-15-2002, 09:58 AM
The Brits need to treat their Gurkhas fairly. A gurkhas pledge
to serve- there is no more reliable promise than that.
Lots of wannabes in the Gurkha world- of non Gurkhas, eastern Nepalese and as you mentioned Chinese, Tibetans and Bhutanese showing up at recruiting stations. The Indian army indeed has kepta steady stream of real Gurkhas and Gurkha regiments cream of the crop for close quarters work- though the western media knows more about the Brits.
The Gurkhas dont write books about themselves.
The Gurkha Kshattriya families have deeply imbedded martial virtue. And the families end up deciding which one will go to war, which one will take care of the family plot, which one will looka after the family. The old adage that if you want to educate someone begin with the grandfather- certainly applies to Gurkhas skills at their best.They depend on the remittances sent from the son who is away. While on duty they can look expressionless- but in reality they are a great and friendly people. As you can imagne
in close quarters work-they are something else... and are not intimidated by bayonets, katanas and other bladed weapons-
or the size of the adversary-they have encountered those with the Japanese,Phillipines,
Burmese, Germans, Italians etc . And they can close the distance quickly if and when they have to against a guy witha firearm who hesitates at all. It will be near impossible to reivent the Gurkha traditions in our times or in the foreseeable future IMO.

Lots of wannabe Gurkhas- one lived on SE Ohio for many years.(never mind-seek no wider arguments-been there=done that))

Geezer
11-15-2002, 10:46 AM
Yuanfen Wrote>

The Brits need to treat their Gurkhas fairly. A gurkhas pledge to serve- there is no more reliable promise than that.

Hear Hear, I think you said it all there, you only need ask them to do something once.

The book I'm reading talked about how a group of Gurkhas were pinned down by a Japanese sniper(during WW2) who kept on picking off the troops.
They had no idea where he was hiding, so one of the Gurkhas decided to sacrifice his own life so they could pin point the sniper and take him out, which they did.

If you have a look at the link it has allot of personal stories written by retired Gurkhas, they're quite amazing.

Sheldon;)

Chango
11-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Modern day warriors indeed! :cool:

Grendel
11-15-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Geezer
Couple of links for those that are interested,

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/southasia/gurkha/RGR.htm

Sheldon;)

Thank you Sheldon for the question and the links, and thank you, Yuanfen, for the informative answer. This is the kind of intellectual exchange that represents the best of the forum.

But, I think the only relevance a thread on Gurkhas has here is the link through Yuanfen, unless there are Gurkhas who do Wing Chun, which I'd find very interesting. :D

Regards,

yuanfen
11-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Grendel said- .... unless there are Gurkhas who do Wing Chun, which I'd find very interesting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are some parrallel principles in what they do.... and avoiding the flowery of course.