PDA

View Full Version : how to do hong kong!

captain
11-15-2002, 08:19 AM
Hello WC people,if i wish to i have a decent chance of working
in hong kong [though i hate flying],obviously while there,i would love to seek out a wing chun shool.so here goes.

1,how do you approach a sifu without breaking protocal?
2,what am i likely to find there[being a westerner].
3,do i take a translator with me?
4,school fees,how does currency work there?

there are more points i have,but if anyone ha made the journey
let me in on your opinions.Im thinking of this because i think learning some WC in the country of origin,sounds like a fantastic
thing to do.
stay cool.

captain
11-22-2002, 04:01 AM
Gee,thanks a bunch guys.you're responses [the sheer volume]has really filled my heart with pre christmas warmth.

stuartm
11-22-2002, 04:41 AM
Hi Captain,

If youre going to work in HK then you should really make the most of the wealth of schools out there. If your sifu is part of a recognised organisation , then he or his sifu should have some links in HK. If he can write you a letter of introduce you then thats probably best. Do yo have any friends wit hlinks in Hong Kong.??

You could write to the VTAA or email some of the schools. I have emailed Ip Chings class in the past and have always got prompt replies. Ng Chun Hong is also ery accomodating and replies promptly.

I have only been one for a couple of days and to be honest never actually got round to attending any schools, but apparently most clubs in Hong Kong are quite informal, and if you ask nicely, show a little respect etc then people tend to be quite accomodating. If you are a member of the VTAA then you can always take along a copy of your certificate - i m sure that woudlnt do any harm!

Good luck ! Stuart

captain
11-23-2002, 03:11 AM
Cheers,Stuart.

hakka mui
11-25-2002, 06:44 AM
hi captain

1,how do you approach a sifu without breaking protocal?

check out the VTAA site, under schools most of them have email addresses or phone numbers. just be polite

2,what am i likely to find there[being a westerner].

one of the major problems you may have is the language barrier however some sifu speak english quite well or some of their students will. go with the flow - although most of the schools are quite informal some sifu will not like you talking in class or playing the fool

3,do i take a translator with me?

depends if the sifu speaks english or not

4,school fees,how does currency work there?

not sure about this one as each sifu will have their own fees

PM me if this is not enough info

hakka mui

Clive Potter
11-28-2002, 10:41 AM
Hi

I know one very friendle teacher in Hong Kong that you could approach if you are interested in Wong Shun Leung Ving Tsun.
His name is Cliff Au Yeung. E-mail me if you want any details at clive@cpcomp.co.uk

Clive Potter

captain
11-29-2002, 08:04 AM
Hello Clive,
that teacher sounds very fine,as does his teacher.i have the a chance to teach english there[esl].really all tht is stopping me from going is the flying.i hate airtravel with a near howard huges passion.this is an eccentric question,but is there a way to get there by land?

Clive Potter
11-30-2002, 02:54 PM
Not that I know of. Hong Kong is 6000 miles away. It would take you a very long time to get there. As I said before if you want more details then e-mail me. If you want to know more about Wong then my site is at http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk