PDA

View Full Version : Any infor on Hung Gar Master Ho Lap Tin?

steve23
06-05-2000, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have any infor on Hung Gar Master
Ho Lap Tin? I am thinking about enrolling
in a school and the teacher said he learned
from Ho Lap Tin.

Thanks

blade
06-05-2000, 09:34 PM
Hi Steve

Ho Lap Tin Sifu began his martial arts training at an early age under Chui Yan Kai.

Later in Canton he was accepted as a student and started his training hung gar under tung feng Sifu. Tung Feng is one of the disciples of Wong Fei Hung and class mate of Lam sai Wing. After the war of resistance against Japanese Ho Lap Tin moved to Hong Kong. By this time Tung Feng had also moved to Hong Kong Where he contiuned teaching hung gar untill he passed away. When Ho Lap tin moved to hing kong he carried on training under Tung Feng, and later he assisted his sifu by teaching Hung Gar. After the death of his sifu, Ho lap Tin contiuned teaching and spreading the art of hung Gar untill his death.He has published books on hung gar too.

I hope this will help. If you need anymore info just let me know.

Blade

Paul Skrypichayko
06-05-2000, 09:36 PM
Ho Lap Tin was one of Tang Fung's top students. He wrote a couple of books on hung gar which you might be able to find in your local chinatown bookstore.

You should wait for DF to reply to your post, he is from the Tang Fung lineage, and he might be able to give you more information.

Je Lei Sifu
06-06-2000, 06:01 AM
Master Ho lap Tin has only one student who resides in America. This is Master Cheung Shu Pui. I am a student of Master Cheung. If you would like info on Master Tang Fung, I will be more than willing to give that information to you. MY sigung,(Ho Lap Tin) was one of Tang Fung's top students. He was very well known throughout Hong Kong. Ho Lap Tin sigung, was very skilled with the Dan Do Bean(Sword and Steel Whip)and has developed the skills of the shooting star boxing. He has written books on Hung Gar, the most recent books which you still can find with ease are The Shooting Star Boxing of Hung's Pugilism and Self Defence of Hung Ga pugilism supplement with umbrella of Dragon and Tiger/eight styles for body health. Once again if you need any further info please contact me.

hasayfu
06-08-2000, 04:50 AM
Hi Je Lei Sifu,

I don't mean this in a negative way so please state your answers as a comparison and not a who is right/wrong, better/worse...

Have you seen the Frank Yee forms? He is from Tang Fung lineage and I was wondering how their forms compare with yours. They are pretty similar to Lam Sai Wing branch with some obvious differences.

Again, not asking who is right but curious as to how the transmissions have been retained and differ. I can speak from both the Lum Jo and Chiu Wai lines as I have met them both and even these two well known masters in the Lam Sai Wing line have obvious differences.

Neither is wrong but for a hung gar nut like myself, it is fascinating to see what one sifu emphasizes over the other.

Je Lei Sifu
06-08-2000, 08:06 AM
Hello Hasayfu

I appreciate your question most sincerely.

Yes I am familiar with Yee Sifu of New York City. And I keep in contact with one of his students on a respectful level.

Sifu Yee and his students gung fu, although of the same lineage, some of their forms differs from what we do. However, I have seen somethings that they do which is either exactly or close to what we do.

Without a doubt, Sifu Yee has several students who are talented at teaching as well as demonstrating Tang Fung style of Hung Gar.

As you have stated, there are some master who have trained under Lam Sai Wing. However, their performance of what he taught them aren't carbon copies.

I believe this to be due to several reasons such as, the stucture and differences in body shape, hand speed, footwork and the way they remember what they were taught.

Under my sifu, I have realized from early on that everyone, although we learned under the same sifu we move diffently.

This is not to say the one is better than the other or that one is right and the other wrong.

As Hung Gar continues to be passed on from one generation to the next, there will always be a new or different flavor from what the prior generation taught.

To answer your question on what differences are emphasized, I have to truly state that I am not sure. I have seen Sifu Yee's students perform on several occassions. And on these occassions, I have notice that they do adhere to Tang Fung's strict training as well as we do. They also have good body connection and demonstrate their emotion and intentions at a very high level.

Without a doubt, Sifu Yee's students are some of the best representatives of Tang Fung's gung fu.

If you ever get to hold conversation with Sifu Pedro Cepero, who is one of Sifu Yee's top students, you will also notice that they have been taught well in Mo Dut (martial Virtue).

Thank you for your question.

Je Lei.

madmex
06-08-2000, 10:04 PM
Hi Steve23,
Where are you located? I do know Sigung Cheung was the student of Ho Lap Tin. A good freind and associate of mine, Sifu Rick Panico studied under Sigung Cheung.
I'm sure that if he,(Master Cheung), has a school brother here in America that he would be interested in knowing of him.

Je Lei Sifu
06-09-2000, 03:51 AM
hey madmex

I am a student of Master Cheung and Rick of course is my sihing.

I can already tell you that my sifu is the only student of Ho Lap Tin that resides/teaches in America. All of his other classmates still reside in Hong Kong.

When you get the chance, tell Rick that I (Jerry) said hello.

Thank you

Je Lei Sifu.

madmex
06-09-2000, 05:48 AM
Will do Je lei Sifu,
Anyone who has trained with Rick's sifu to your level is O.K. with me. He should be at the Koushu tournament in Baltimore next month.
Meanwhile,check out this link: http://hgkfa.tripod.com/hgkfa.htm
Oh, and ten four on Sigung Cheung's "school brother".

Je Lei Sifu
06-09-2000, 06:17 AM
Madmex,

Thank you for the web address, it is most appreciated.

Thank you. http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

Je Lei.

P.S. I should be at the tournament also /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Laukarbo
08-08-2008, 04:38 AM
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n321/FrankyLau/NMH%201972%20april%20c/holaptinstudents1.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n321/FrankyLau/NMH%201972%20april%20c/holaptinstudents2.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n321/FrankyLau/NMH%201972%20april%20c/holaptinstudents3.jpg

ngokfei
08-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Also for informatin regarding the Dang/Tang Fong Lineage you can contact the association put together in HK for his memory.

Its made up of the major Tang Fung Lineage schools with even I believe 1 or 2 of Tang Fung's remaining/living disciples as well.

They just ahd a huge gathering and demo this past year in HK. You can find visual images on Youtube.