PDA

View Full Version : How would you go about clinching a taller opponent?

phantom
11-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Could somebody please tell me how you would go about clinching an opponent who is much taller than you to 1. set him up for knees and other striking techniques and 2. to set him up to take him down? Thanks in advance.

FatherDog
11-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Well, some of the other grapplers in this forum will probably be able to answer better, since at 6'4" I'm about the tallest guy in my gym, and haven't had to deal with this... but seen from the other side...

The first step of clinching anyone in a striking situation (which I presume you're talking about, since you mentioned knees), be they Andre the Giant or Mini-me, is to slip/parry a strike and close the gap before they can set up another one. Since you're the shorter, it's gonna be easier for you to get underhooks on him at this point. You can't do a lot of hand strikes from a double underhook, but it gives you a pretty good hold on him for straight knees to the solar plexus and skip knees to the upper thighs. If you're quick, you might pull off a belly-to-belly suplay from this position, but if your opponent's an experienced grappler odds are he'll sprawl on you. I've had some limited success with judo-style leg reaps from this position as well; they work fairly well for getting your opponent down, but you'll almost always wind up in his guard (or at best, half-guard) if he knows what he's doing. If he doesn't ****zer (overhook) your arms immediately from this position (which, if he's paying attention, he probably will) it's also a good place to go for a double or single.

Getting a single underhook and either getting a ****zer or a collar tie up with your other hand is not as good a position for knees (it's easier for him to defend with a hand) but it can allow you to set up elbows to the face and neck with the other hand, and if you wing down with the underhook arm and take an angle, it sets you up nicely for a kneetap, from which it's easy to wind up in a mount (and even take the guy's back, if you manage a good angle before the takedown)

I'm reasonably sure there's some mistakes in here, as I'm very, very tired right now. Any other grapplers want to give some input?

Merryprankster
11-16-2002, 02:59 PM
He's kind of asked about a billion questions in each one he asked, I'm afraid. :D

Perhaps you could tell us what specific problems you're having and we could offer advice about how to go about correcting them.

SevenStar
11-16-2002, 03:06 PM
what is your build and what is his? there are throws, like tai otoshi, that work well for a smaller faster guy against a larger opponent. how much taller is much taller?

phantom
11-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Fatherdog, thank you. MerryPrankster, I have found that trying to clinch a biiger opponent can open you up to neckcranks and headlocks. Sevenstar, I am 5'9", and my opponents are around 6'5". I am average build, not real muscular or real skinny. They range form being somewhat muscular to very muscular. Thanks in advance again for any further advice you guys can give me concerning this topic.

FatherDog
11-17-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by phantom
I have found that trying to clinch a biiger opponent can open you up to neckcranks and headlocks.

If your neck or head is being attacked, you need to press it in tight against your opponent's body as soon as you clinch. Tuck your chin, turn slightly to the side, and press in against his chest/neck. Try to make it so that his chin is resting on the top of your head. This, once again, makes hand strikes difficult, but takedowns can still be easily executed from this position. I'm not certain about knees, but it seems like you could still do a reasonable skip knee from here.

SevenStar
11-17-2002, 01:34 PM
you're my height, but I'm pretty muscular, which I can use to my advantage, as I weigh the same or more as the taller guys and I'm usually stronger. I like sweeps, particularly hiza guruma. drop seionage may work well for you also. since you are at a size disadvantage, work your throwing combinations. Your firs t attempt may only off balance them, but while they are off balance, you can transition to another throw, then to another, etc. until you can get them down. Whatever you do, DO NOT let them get an extremely high collar grip on you, or reach over and grab your gi just behind your shoulder. This can be a pain to deal with, but can be done. You can shove the arm to your inside and slip under it. as you slip under, wrap your outside arm around the leg of his that is closest to you, and stand straight up. as you do, sweep him with your inside leg. It doesn't always work, but I've had pretty good success with it. I've seen a vid of a similar technique on judo info - I'll see if I can find it.

How are you trying to throw the knees? are you using the plumb, or are you just trying to fire knees from whatever grip you happen to have?

phantom
11-18-2002, 10:49 AM
I am really trying to throw knees from whatever grip I have.

MightyB
11-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Could somebody please tell me how you would go about clinching an opponent who is much taller than you?

Very Carefully :D