PDA

View Full Version : "Fighting styles" of the non-trained

SevenStar
11-16-2002, 04:01 PM
It was brought up in another thread that people in one state generally attack a certain way - a way that is completely different from the norm in my state. Where you are, how does the average altercation start? what types of tactics are used?

Stranger
11-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Philadelphia / South Jersey:

Assuming the bad guy is right handed and wants to start the brawl......

1) You will get grabbed by his left hand with a bent arm and pulled in.

2) One of two things will then happen (listed in order of likelihood):

- he will then punch with his righthand to your head. If this is the way it starts, it will continue until you break the grip- nothing but rights.
or
- he will knee your yarbles or gut-punch you to bring your face down and start pumping uppercuts into your face while holding onto your clothes.

dezhen2001
11-16-2002, 04:21 PM
usually where i am back home (scotland) ive noticed 1 of 3 things usually happens:

1) grab then headbutt
2) push then a football (soccer) type kick
3) push or suckerpunch

the big kicks are interesting as they usually dont work but people try anyway :D

dawood

MonkeySlap Too
11-16-2002, 05:08 PM
Back in Chi-town:

A shove followed by looping haymakers all the way to pounding on the ground.

Arms wide, chest out 'you wanna take a swing at me' followed by looping haymaker.

A grap of your coat, and repeated banging of your head against an object.

The one arm grab to your chest, while pulling the unseen knife with the other hand.

Jumping around swinging a branch or board.

Bicycle chain or lock chain, wrapped in fist. Usually pulled unseen after a shove.

An amazing tendency to leap and punch to the head.

On the West Coast:
I haven't seen a real fight yet.

SevenStar
11-16-2002, 05:24 PM
a shove followed by a quick strike, then followups. If you fall to the ground, they will kick and stomp you.

if you have on a big coat of baggy shirt, they will (if the opportunity is presented, pull your shirt/coat over your head and arms, then beat you while you are helpless

Ben Gash
11-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Stand really close, shouting at you, followed by increasingly heavy pushing. Then succesion of flailing punches and soccer type kicks until a clinch, where one drives the other back until they hit a wall. Ineffectual short punches and knees until somebody gets on top and starts really pounding. Then mates pile in and give a life threatening kicking on the ground.
This is providing no one brings a knife/bottle/pint glass into play.

jon
11-17-2002, 02:35 AM
Two definately distinct things where ive lived, both of which in Australia.

First is the stupid dissagreement which is usualy due to alchol or escultated emotions.
1 Posturing - clenching fists, trying to look taller, being verbaly abusive, trying generaly to intimidate.

2 Testing - pushing, faking punches, telling opponent to 'put up your guard.

3 The confrontation is usualy esculated to blows... then its pretty much madhouse time. People 'here' seem to have little idea, likely due to increased emotion levels and stress the often overreact and simply go litteraly nuts. A commen tactic is to stick your head down and then throw contant windmill punches. Often with very little idea if your opponent is even where you are punching. There is occasional bull rushing and a lot of what i call 'blitzing' which is basicaly trying to throw so many punches so quickly your opponent will be overwealmed.
However people in these situations rarely seem to actively fight on the ground. Most of these style confrontations are about pride and one person either backing down or hitting the floor and not looking like they are in a hurry to get back up are usualy a sign of dominence and enough to stop most of these altercations.

Another interesting thing is in these situations multiples and weapons are *very* rare. These fights are almost purely for pride and anyone or thing 'helping' would be seen as somehow 'cheating'.

The other type of fight is the more serious of the two and usualy occurs very quickly with little or none of the intitial two phases. Multiples and weapons are also often involved. This style is usualy employed by people who fight more often as they know the element of surprise gives them a distinct advantage.

1 Sucker punch - failing this the blitz
2 Headhunt, most of these type of fights and fighters involve amost exclusive headshots. Obviously both fighters are trying to end this asap, the prevelence of one hit knockouts on the media also seems to make many people think this is the most likely way to victory. Basicaly its throw enough punches at there head in as short a space of time as possible and with any luck at least a few will get in and do some serious damage.
3 This type of fight usualy has to be proparly ended and as such if one person go's to the floor the other will be stomping or going the GnP.

There fights are very different animals. One is all about pride and is basicaly almost done like a ritual. The other is simply 'one' person doing there best to annilate another in as short as time as possible.

Ive seen loads of the former and thankfully fairly few of the latter.

Former castleva
11-17-2002, 06:30 AM
Yeah.A bit like your stories guys.
I donīt know of state norms but hereīs how it goes like in here.

A few guys start circling each other a bit looking for openings and looking for fear and "how far they can go".
There are those basical postural and body language related signs telling of conflict,then it starts getting harder...

Usually at this point another guy forms hanging horse stance and focuses on his opponent trying to root himself and generates chi from the dan tien.
Other person looks for his fighting style and tries to put in a shot or two,usually using tiger claw,leopard fist or related hand forms and assumes a cat stance.
Ma bu guy dodges and moves in a with rapid yu fen strikes to opponentīs dim mak points of head and neck region,followed with a lightning kick.
Another guy now throws a nuki-te which is blocked by upper wrist block and followed with chin-na which tends to be either "Hand seizes the dragonīs head" or "hsuen di joan",sometimes they refer to something different.
At this point fight usually ends with a penetrating pa kua influenced fa-jing palm strike.

:)

Besides that,I still donīt know of state norms but uncontrolled sucker punch to head region might be one of the most usual attacks.
Also pushes and grabs may often start a conflict I guess.

Royal Dragon
11-17-2002, 01:07 PM
LOL!! You are SO right about Chi Town fighting!!!

In my experiance it it starts with yelling, then yelling toe to toe face to face as loud as they can, poking the other in the chest then pushing, shoving and the two throwing a flurry of hook/cross looking "Haymakers" till one goes down followed by hard foot stomping untill someone is killed, or his freinds pull him off of his opponent.

Here in Chicago, you are also likely to face the charge in and sucker punch you followed by the grounding and sitting on the chest and pounding away till someone pulls him off, or he gets tired. Then, as he is retereating, he will throw a couple of stomps and last shot kicks wile yelling obsenities and threats to entire families, even the unborn of several generations into the future (Especially the Italian neighborhods).

I have seen guys with TKD experiance punch like a street boxer to really soften them up, and then use a high TKD kick to ground them followed by the kick'em wile they are down sinario. Ribs are the target for most hostiles, but the head is sometimes used when murderous intent or infadelity has occured (usually against the guy she cheated with).

We also like to football tackle followed by the sitting on thier chest and pounding thier head and then stand up and getting some last shot kicks in as it's ending.

Chang Style Novice
11-17-2002, 01:21 PM
What are you guys up to that you get into so many scrapes? I haven't been involved in a real fight since, like, middle school. I haven't seen one for about ten years (at a really rowdy college party.)

And I live in TEXAS! Austin Texas, sure, but still TEXAS!

My guess; you a bunch of troublemakin' mofos.

:D

dre
11-17-2002, 01:34 PM
I've seen a lot of pushing and standing grapping, which usually ends with:

(a) Someone getting side-kicked (or some approximation of a side kick) in the stomach, pushed of, and maybe punched and kicked some more. The kicked guy usually loses at this pont.

(b) The one who started the grappling will upend the other person and push him over, and maybe send a kick or two his way on the ground.

(c) The gappled starts throwing uppercuts at the guy grappling him and it turns into boxing with crap kicks.

Sharky
11-17-2002, 01:36 PM
they are really into bottling people here in wales. london it's knifes in most case.

when it's fistycuffs, the welsh are quite handy with their fists, and there are loads of rugby players. in london it's about getting attacked by groups, haymakers are the order of the day.

SevenStar
11-17-2002, 01:40 PM
I wonder if a new trend will emerge here - We have gone from a latino population of virtually nil 7 years ago to over 300,000 now. A few years ago, when I was in kali and jun fan, There were some hispanics there that were pretty darn adept in escrima. Also, I've seen a few non-public capoeira groups practicing.

SevenStar
11-17-2002, 01:41 PM
crap, I forgot this thread was for non-trained people...

tnwingtsun
11-17-2002, 03:47 PM
In North Carolina they throw a Vinigar based BBQ sauce at
cha(the best!),in South Carolina they throw a Mustard based BBQ
sauce at cha,I've heard that where you live theres some serious
sauce slinging going on.

Up north they throw garbadge at cha and cuss alot,the way its going now I'd say in five years time most folks will be throwing
taco sauce at cha!:D

fiercest tiger
11-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Its funny that almost every answer you have let a guy come so close allowing him / she to do what you guys mentioned. I dont belive there is certain way of starting a fight! If a person is yelling and raising fist at you he should never have been there to do it, you should have taken him out.

Why give a punk Biatch the chance to fight?

FT:)

Sharky
11-17-2002, 05:19 PM
^^^ sometimes real life just doesn't work out like that.

neito
11-17-2002, 05:29 PM
in western canada you see mostly stand up grappling while trying to hide your face and hit his face at the same time. some smarter guys also get a couple body shots in. it looks more or less like a hockey fight.

LEGEND
11-17-2002, 08:26 PM
haymakers and standing grappling.

Leonidas
11-17-2002, 08:53 PM
I cant say for sure how people start fights here.

I dont think you can since people are so.......uh, creative in their approach.

SevenStar
11-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by fiercest tiger
Its funny that almost every answer you have let a guy come so close allowing him / she to do what you guys mentioned. I dont belive there is certain way of starting a fight! If a person is yelling and raising fist at you he should never have been there to do it, you should have taken him out.

Why give a punk Biatch the chance to fight?

you're in a bar. you run into a drunk and he gets agitated, stands up after you walk by, pushes you then hits you over the head with a bottle as you turn around.

you're at a concert and everyone is headed out as the concert is over. It's crowded and you step on a guy's shoe. He pushes you, then swings while he is simultaneously talking crap.

you are walking to your car and a guy grabs your shoulder from behind and slugs you as you turn around.

As you walk past a corner, a guy jumps out, either bear hugging of choking you.

fiercest tiger
11-18-2002, 04:40 AM
answers to you question!

1) you have been pushed for a reason, what would you do? If u have been bottled and still standing you fight for your life and kill the f@cker.

2) IF he pushes you you k'o him out at the concert gates.:) dont give him a chance to swing!!

3) grabs your shoulder low side or back kick or when you turn around keep your hands up!:rolleyes:

4) All these are suprise attacks, im talking you let a guys talk **** in your face and get in your personal space it shouldnt have happened! surpise attacks are different in lots of wats.

cheers
Garry:)

Former castleva
11-18-2002, 05:11 AM
"Its funny that almost every answer you have let a guy come so close allowing him / she to do what you guys mentioned. I dont belive there is certain way of starting a fight! If a person is yelling and raising fist at you he should never have been there to do it, you should have taken him out.

Why give a punk Biatch the chance to fight?"

That is,for sure,an important thing to think of.
These "fights" mentioned though fall also to the category of "beatdowns"etc. what less civilezed name you wanna use (This is a bit tricky as these things can be broken down into different things in my language and law)
Besides that,it has been noticed that most of the victims of assaults do not fight back.

sing fu
11-18-2002, 05:14 AM
This is a really good thread.
BTW, can someone explain what they mean by sucker punch or haymaker?

When I was living in Australia, I had a few cases of people walking up to me late at night asking me for a few bucks or hand over my wallet etc..

I never let anyone get into that personal space - but they might try sucker you in with wanting to show you something, asking for a cigarette etc.. - anything that closes the distance in a socially acceptable way. By keeping your distance it gives you time to take improvised weapons out or check out your surroundings too.

Talking about saving personal space - sometimes not being there at all is the best answer:)

cogg
11-18-2002, 05:25 AM
here in wolverhampton UK you can watch loads of fights on a nite. people love kick out time from the pubs. i know a fare few people who drive into the city and sit in there cars watching the ruckus. heres what ive seen most commonly:
1. one bloke from one group of ****heads walks to next group of ****heads and picks a target he then ***** slaps him to test the water, then from behind someone runs in and "john waynes" another.
2. if the victim went down the ritualistic stomping takes place.
very often the girls from each group will have a fight aswell.
3. heres the cheeky bit and ive seen this on a number of occasions... the bloke who got stomped gets helped up by a few lads who take him round the corner and give him another seeing to.

Mr Punch
11-18-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Fiercest Puddy-tat Why give a punk Biatch the chance to fight?

Because if you go round decking people who get a little bit far into your personal space in your everyday life you will turn into that punk Biatch.

Then you will

a) spend a long time in prison
b) get your throat stamped by a serious mofo
c) maim somebody who really doesn't deserve it
d) any or all of the above.

Haven't checked your profile, are you old enough to get into bars yet?

Originally posted by Sharky
^^^ sometimes real life just doesn't work out like that.

Mr Punch
11-18-2002, 05:37 AM
Oh **** me, you're a 'sifu', and you are 33 years old...!?

LOL. That's all I can say...! Oh, and I'm never ****in going to Sydney!

Cogg: I'm from Brum, but I remember that scene. One to one, we got a lot of the shove then windmill, but the throat grab, instant unbalance and push back till the back of your head connects with something hard features quite highly too.

Sharkey: The scrappers from Bangor in N Wales like bottles too...

LOL at TNWT: in the UK you often get the fishnchip bag with extra saltnvinegaaaaah to rub into the wound... or the curry sauce terror... and napalm mushy peas!

fiercest tiger
11-18-2002, 05:51 AM
lol YEAH AND IM A REAL BAD ASS!LOL

Sing fu gave the best answer! :) Im just saying dont get sucker punched or be in a situation where you can get f@cked up. Be more aware if we can, i try to scope out whats happening around me all the time or am i just PARANOID?!:)

Anyway come to sydney its a great place, ill be 33 on saturday, 33 sucker punches for me huh?:)

THE OLD PUNK BIATCH!

Mr Punch
11-18-2002, 06:04 AM
I agree, whatever you say man... relax... I'm glad there's this big ocean of personal space between us that's all I can say!!! :D

Really, I do agree, but you sounded a bit extreme!

Happy birthday for Saturday slugger!

dezhen2001
11-18-2002, 06:41 AM
cogg: im in wolves too!

dawood

NafAnal
11-18-2002, 10:44 AM
"Stand really close, shouting at you, followed by increasingly heavy pushing. Then succesion of flailing punches and soccer type kicks until a clinch, where one drives the other back until they hit a wall. Ineffectual short punches and knees until somebody gets on top and starts really pounding. Then mates pile in and give a life threatening kicking on the ground.
This is providing no one brings a knife/bottle/pint glass into play."

LOL Ben that's so da mn true

SevenStar
11-18-2002, 11:14 AM
Sing, a haymaker if a wild arcing punch - like a sloppy hook punch.

KC Elbows
11-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Minnesota-throw down gloves, grab jersey, flail arms.

Eugene Oregon- Kick blanket with victim's home made jewelry for sale across ground, further distract by tossing hackey sack towards victim's eyes, close and let overpowering aura of patchoulli do its work.

Kansas City- Variant of the Eugene, Oregon method, first kick over your victim's meth lab, toss heavy american cooking in your victim's mouth, let cholesterol do its work.

Colorado method- Steal carmex, the victim will immediately surrender when faced with high chap factor. Against the exceptionally tough, threaten the lives of the members of Leftover Salmon.

New Orleans method- Throw a parade, club victim while he or she is looking at scantily clad members of the opposite gender doing things with gators.

Oklahoma- Wait at bus station, find someone with ticket to another state, steal their ticket and get out of there. If round trip ticket, DO NOT use for return.

Of these, the New Orleans is the only one with a grain of truth in it.

fiercest tiger
11-18-2002, 03:12 PM
I try to switch straight into an OFFENSIVE mindset soon as i feel it necessary, ive worked in door work, pyshc wards and hospitals where knives, kneedles, different virusus are spread by coughing or spitting on you. Now on the street we do not know what people have or hidden away up there sleeves etc If i sound like a hard ass im not im just causious and take things alittle serious in places where things might get out of hand or esculate.:)

Wasnt trying to be over top with things, but each to there own and you have all th rights to say what you think is the right way to handle situations. I'll stick to my startergy it has worked for me many times, when needed.

take care
Garry FT

:D