PDA

View Full Version : Fame and fortune....

Wu Lung
11-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Well, fame and US$50 anyway.

I'll apologise in advance for plugging another site on this one, but I just wanted to drop you all a reminder that if you like to write fiction then www.cyberkwoon.com will pay US$50.00 for any martial arts related short fiction that we publish on our site.

Please check out our submission guidelines here:

Fiction Submission Guidelines (http://www.cyberkwoon.com/html/page.php?page=fiction)

If you have any queries, please contact me through www.cyberkwoon.com or on this thread until the Mods delete it! ;) Of course, if they were kind enough to leave it here then they'd be helping to spread the talents of their members that can write a good story!

cha kuen
11-17-2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the post! I'll see if I can pull up some stories!

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Ray Pina
11-18-2002, 07:25 AM
Well, I just completed a 278 page novel that I have been working on for three years. Do you, or does anyone you know, handled works of that size?

Generally, it combines a narrator explaining how he wound up at the beach on Long Island after growing up in Newark New Jersey and experiencing al the lovely things one does, growing up in the car-jack capital of the world.

But then, there is a flashback of sorts, Shaolin Temple, the whole thing of Bak Mei (did he do it?) and the potential to seek revenge -- now -- in the present.

I'm happy with it. I pored my heart and soul into it. When all is said and done, I don't consider it a martial art book, but straight up literature/philosophy. Kind of like Jack Kerouac's On the Road is about a hell of a lot more then driving.

Peace
Ray

Wu Lung
11-18-2002, 04:36 PM
That should be "more than driving" - you might want to check things like that if you plan to get a novel published. For something like that you'll need to approach literary agents. Trying to go direct to publishers these days is next to impossible. Start approaching agents and see if someone will represent you. It's a long, hard road, but best of luck with it. If you ever think of writing some short fiction, run it by us at cyberkwoon.

rubthebuddha
11-18-2002, 04:43 PM
evofist -- i dunno what the skinny on your sharing of this, but if you ever need an editor ;)

(being serious, though. i am a former editor :) )

Ray Pina
11-19-2002, 08:02 AM
Everybody's a comedian.

Actually, I'm an editor, too -- at Hearst, one of the largest publishers in the world. I don't put much time into these posts -- in and out -- well, because I'm at work now.

But I will say I can't spell for $hit. Thank God for Bill Gates and spell check.

Thanks for the advice. I know about the odds and the need to go through an agent and all that. I just saw this thread and figuered I'd see if anything could come from it.

I will say this though. Since I have printed out the book, I've had people tell me I should change the font, and watch for this, and cross that "T". In actuality, that's all easy second hand stuff to do. The hard part was having no social life for three years and banging out nearly 300 pages single spaced while my friends partied.

I believe the story line is good and that the writing style is unique. Hopefully I'll find someone who sees the same thing and then we can take it from there and shape it up -- but one must start somewhere and failure is not an option.

Peace

Wu Lung
11-19-2002, 04:35 PM
ttt

:)

rubthebuddha
11-19-2002, 04:52 PM
evofist -- microsoft is ass at grammar. ;) is why copy editors are still employed in this world.

sad thing is, with everything being checked electronically, written standards, both pre- and post-production, are getting crappy. even the ny times, a former bastion of good editing, doesn't care about dead construction anymore. :(

eulerfan
11-19-2002, 08:36 PM
I write short fiction. It might be fun to come up with a martial arts story.

It wouldn't have to be a good against evil story, would it? My writing is pure realism.

Wu Lung
11-19-2002, 09:04 PM
It can be about anything you like, any genre, any style - as long as somewhere it contains reference to or direct interest for any kind of martial artist.

Check out the submission guidelines and send us a story!

Submission Guidelines (http://www.cyberkwoon.com/html/page.php?page=fiction)

Look forward to hearing from you.

:)