PDA

View Full Version : WC only good for centerline and indoor?

cha kuen
11-17-2002, 10:07 PM
I spoke to a martial artist today and told him that I'm studying wing chun. Toward the end of our conversation about other stuff he said that I should only stay with wing chun for a few years and learn the centerline theory and some inside hands and then just move on. I didnt' say anything to object. What do you guys think of this statement? I think this guy hasn't had a true taste of wing chun....

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

anerlich
11-17-2002, 10:36 PM
I met a bloke in a pub on Friday night who told me that investing in shares was hopeless and property is where it's at.

Everyone has an opinion. You don't have to agree with them or try to prove them wrong, unless you want to.

canglong
11-17-2002, 11:50 PM
After your hands penetrate "inside" to the "centerline" where else is there to move on to?

TkdWarrior
11-18-2002, 01:44 AM
After your hands penetrate "inside" to the "centerline" where else is there to move on to?
anything left to say? lol...:p nice dude...
-TkdWarrior-

yuanfen
11-18-2002, 05:58 AM
Everyone has an opinion. You don't have to agree with them or try to prove them wrong, unless you want to.(anerlich)

TRUE!

quiet man
11-18-2002, 07:30 AM
Toward the end of our conversation about other stuff he said that I should only stay with wing chun for a few years and learn the centerline theory and some inside hands and then just move on.

:rolleyes:

I think you should only stay with ignorants for a few years, to see them for just what they are, and then move on to normal and intelligent people.

yuanfen
11-18-2002, 11:28 AM
cha kuen- once you learn enough wing chun IMO you will see that you can control the center line in many different ways.

wingchunalex
11-18-2002, 06:19 PM
yeah, its not good to be a jack of all trades martial artist. its ok to know a extra. but all martial arts should get you to the same place in the end if one learns them correctly and well. but jumping around only makes you not have faith in anything your doing.

cha kuen
11-20-2002, 03:00 AM
Gotcha

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Neurotic
11-20-2002, 05:47 PM
He could be coming from a x-training sentiment.

I've heard it said by quite a few x-trainers (MMA types.. whatever) that WC is one of the best places to get your MA foundation, and then you can go and gather other things from there.

But - just a guess, and also, just some shared opinions.

Neurotic

Mr Punch
11-26-2002, 12:04 AM
ttt

Grendel
11-26-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by cha kuen
he said that I should only stay with wing chun for a few years and learn the centerline theory and some inside hands and then just move on.

Right. A few years should do it. Say 20 or 40 or so. I've met few with less time in than that who could say they have learned all that. :D

I didnt' say anything to object. What do you guys think of this statement? I think this guy hasn't had a true taste of wing chun....

Either that, or it was a really profound tongue-in-cheek insight. :D

Ish
11-26-2002, 05:28 AM
i think if you practice for three years you realise just how much of a beginer you still are and how much there is still to learn.

tparkerkfo
11-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Wing Chun specializes, but is not limited to up close and personal. Some people have not expereinced high level wing chun, so they assume it is limited by its approach. But I think most people here, on a wing chun list, would object. English only has 26 letters but it is not any more limited than those with more. It is what you do with it. Music has 7 notes, not counting sharps and flats, but we are still churning out new songs and even styles of music. Overly simplistic I know.

When some one makes a silly comment I take several notes. Listen to what they say to see if there is any thing to be learned. Next, chalk this guy up to inexperienced or very limited in his views on wing chun.

I think one should figure out what they want of wing chun or a martial art. Not all martial arts are for all people. So what works for you may not work for another person. But I would not say to some one to spen x years here then x years there. Each person is different.
Tom
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

Beowulf
11-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by tparkerkfo
Wing Chun specializes, but is not limited to up close and personal.

True, but up close and personal is what we're striving for. We may find ourselves starting at any arbitrary distance. Yes, Wing Chun works outdoors and can stray from the centerline at important times.

Some people have not expereinced high level wing chun, so they assume it is limited by its approach. But I think most people here, on a wing chun list, would object.

I object. :p

English only has 26 letters but it is not any more limited than those with more. It is what you do with it. Music has 7 notes, not counting sharps and flats, but we are still churning out new songs and even styles of music. Overly simplistic I know.

Yes, very. :p

When some one makes a silly comment I take several notes.

I discount what they say from that point. Where are you going with this? :D

Listen to what they say to see if there is any thing to be learned. Next, chalk this guy up to inexperienced or very limited in his views on wing chun.

La la la. I stopped listening a while back. :D

I think one should figure out what they want of wing chun or a martial art. Not all martial arts are for all people. So what works for you may not work for another person. But I would not say to some one to spen x years here then x years there. Each person is different.
Tom
Not all martial arts are for humans. Wing Chun and Taijiquan for example. :D Very few people can be good at two or more arts. Some of us aren't good at one. Many years of study are required to find this out. The person who dismissed Wing Chun couldn't possibly be qualified to make such a sweeping statement.

Now, back to study. :cool: