PDA

View Full Version : two shaolin questions for gene ching

RAIN
11-17-2002, 11:48 PM
gene

1 _ i want to know for what reason the laymen choice another name when they become shaolin monks ?

2 - do you know if fut gar kuen and bak siu lum are the same system ?

thank you for the help .

WanderingMonk
11-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by RAIN
gene

1 _ i want to know for what reason the laymen choice another name when they become shaolin monks ?

2 - do you know if fut gar kuen and bak siu lum are the same system ?

thank you for the help .

Although you didn't ask me, I just couldn't resist answering your first question (sorry :) ).

When a layman becomes a buddhist monk, he becomes a "new person" (kinda like your born again Christian). He is supposed to cut off his ties to the saha world (in this particular case the human society). This is done to eliminate distractions and allow the monk to travel down the path to enlightenment. Now, this does not mean one run away from society, but it is a time to develop oneself. So, later on he can help other after he has achieved enlightenment.

The new name (dharma name) given to him during the ordination symbolizes a clean break with the past and the new person he strives to become. In the Chinese language, the given name also has a meaning. In the case of Chinese Classic, "Journey to the West", the great monkey king was given the dharma name "Wu-Kong" ("gou-ku" in Japanese for you dragon ball fans) which means "contemplate/understand emptiness" (This is often an reminder by the teacher to student. Reminding the student to focus on a particular aspect of the spirtiual development which needs work).

During the ordination, the monk also adapt a new "clan name" (last name in English world). The monk takes on the clan name of Shakyas symbolizing joining of the Shakyas clan. The founder of the Buddhism in India is Shakyamuni (which means: sage of the Shakyas).

If you noticed the name of the shaolin monk/master who teaches at New York. He has the name Sifu Shi Yan Ming. Traditionally, Chinese put the clan name first (a reverence to the family). In this case, it would be "Shi" (Of course, you know sifu stands for teacher) But, Shi is not a Chinese cllan name nor his original clan name. "Shi" is the Chinese mandarian dialect pronounciation of the sanskrit term, "Shakyas". This shows that he is a ordained buddhist monk and adopted the Buddha's clan name.

The second character "Yan" usually designate his place in the lineage (such as which generation).

Wandering Monk

GeneChing
11-18-2002, 10:31 AM
So you have the first question answered well enough. To answer your 2nd question. No, definately not. Funny you should mention those styles since the two dominent KF practitioners in our company are me and Andy Ching (no relation) - I do BSL and he does FG. Just check out the Shaolin forum for more on BSL, we have several BSL lineages represented there. As for FG, check out this (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/tc-al010.html)