PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu In the Jacksonville NC area?

Seventh Sun
11-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Does any one know of any Kung Fu Schools or any schools that have open sparring in the Jacksonville Area? I Might be moving up there and would like to see if there are any good school in the area?

Thanks for your help
SAGE

KickingMantis
11-18-2002, 10:18 PM
I would be surprised if there is anything in Jacksonville. When I was there there was not much of anything, not to even think of kung fu. That was sometime ago though. I am sure it has grown. Are you in the military? Maybe you can find some military guys there that teach martial arts, I am not sure about kung fu though.

MiamiMantis
11-19-2002, 02:57 PM
They have a Wah Lum school on NC. I believe it's in Charlotte I don't know how far that is from you. I was in NC about 6 months ago and as always I was checking out the phone book for KF schools. As usual all I saw were Mc Dojos and Tae Kwon Do. Whoever opened a KF school up there would have a monopoly!!!

good luck in your search......

7kicks
11-24-2002, 05:35 PM
The Wah Lum school in N.C. is in Fayetville.

yu shan
11-24-2002, 09:22 PM
To recollect, isn`t Shrfu Richard Allen the WL connection in North Carolina? Under Chan Pui, he did not re-test in `99. Did he "re-test" with Master Chan in 2002? It really doesn`t matter... Richard`s probably on to bigger and better anyway!

ninjaboy
11-25-2002, 05:14 PM
there's a very good teacher just northwest of statesville. i forget the name of the town...started with an 'a'......ash-something maybe?

anyway, his name is matt melton. really good guy. i only met him once and we touched hands for a couple of hours. skilled dude. it would seem he has much to offer and i enjoyed our time spent, brief as it was.

ninjaboy

yu shan
11-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Shrfu Matt Melton teaches out of Asheville NC. Not sure on his experience in Mantis KF, but offers CMA, and to concur with ninjaboy, Matt is straight-up!

KickingMantis
11-26-2002, 08:11 AM
Fayetteville is like 1 1/2 hour os so a away, more or less. May be worth it. Ashville is much longer from Jacksonville. Check out the school a few times and meet the instructor see if it can benefit you. May be worth the drive.

I have been driving 45-1 1-2 hours to train with my instructor for several years now and it has been very beneficial for me. Depends on how much it is worth to you and what you gain from your training and experience.

Althogh the instructor may or may not have retested for his Wah Lum instructorship amy or may not matter. There may be more going on than what you and I will ever know about there.

Talk to the instructor, his students, see what they offer and if it matches with what you are looking for,