PDA

View Full Version : James Coburn is dead

Chang Style Novice
11-19-2002, 06:53 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/19/obituaries/19COBU.html

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Coburn,+James

New York Times link requires registration, but I think the login 'salon' and password 'tabletalk' still works

This is a bummer indeed. He was one of my very favorite movie tough-guy actors, from the era when movie tough guy actors were actually tough, and actually actors. And of course, this is on topic because he was a kungfu practitioner, one of the early hollywood students of Bruce Lee. In fact, he was one of Bruce's pallbearers.

Guess I'll be renting "The Magnificent Seven" tonight.

Chang Style Novice
11-19-2002, 06:58 AM
You needn't feel it's neccesary to watch "Snow Dogs" or "Sister Act 2" in tribute, however.

Mr Punch
11-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Dayum. Nuther one bites the dust...

He was in some right ****e movies tho but!

Worth it for Mag 7 and the Silent Flute if nothing else tho...

What with the last of the hellraisers Richard Harris getting his place in The Field, and now Jimmy, dear Jimmy...!!!

Gotta go... sometime! ;)

Mr Punch
11-19-2002, 07:30 AM
"You're crazy, you should see a doctor"

"I am a doctor!"

Man to Eli Wallach who is sitting in a vat of oil in the middle of a desert trying to dissolve his nuts...

Surreal, and yet strangely poignant!:D

Rent it.

Chang Style Novice
11-19-2002, 07:37 AM
I just watched "The Wild Bunch" last night. Much as I love that flick, now I kinda wish it had been "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" instead.

Say, if Pat Garrett was sent after Pike Bishop, I wonder how things would have turned out...

old jong
11-19-2002, 07:41 AM
''Our man Flint'' the ultimate cool guy! :cool: He could actually stop his heart to make the bad guys believe he was dead.

Ford Prefect
11-19-2002, 07:48 AM
RIP

Mr Punch
11-19-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by old jong
:cool: He could actually stop his heart to make the bad guys believe he was dead.

That's it man! That's what he's doing!!! :D They'll never catch you James!

guohuen
11-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Oh Jeez, what a bummer. Bad year for folks passing on. My wife will be heartbroke.

kungfu cowboy
11-19-2002, 12:28 PM
It's comforting to know that thanks to upcoming discoveries in the world of medical science, soon we will never have to know the despair of losing our favorite actors (or anyone else) to the disease of aging or death. Immortalitiy (http://www.immortality.org/news.html) here we come!:)

"Being born is not a crime so why must it carry a sentence of death?"
Robert Ettinger (whoever that is)

rogue
11-19-2002, 01:39 PM
That knife vs gun dual in Mag 7 was great. The guy managed to exude cool just sitting there without even saying a word.

I liked Snowdogs!

African Tiger
11-20-2002, 03:36 PM
His work on the 70's Muppet Show was outstanding :D

Seriously, I did a movie with his son last year, and I called him today to wish condolences. Wish I could'a met the man, but this seminal character actor's memory will indeed live on.

Budokan
11-20-2002, 04:44 PM
Coburn was the kind of guy who when you saw him on screen you knew, you just knew, he could beat the living dogsh*t out of just about anybody he wanted.

He wasn't acting. That guy was tough.

He'll be missed, because with his death the weak-spined rubber-kneed American men who mostly pass for "maculinity' in these modern times have increased their numbers by one....:(

Chang Style Novice
11-20-2002, 04:52 PM
He was all that, plus an acid-dropping pothead tai chi hippy before being an acid-dropping pothead tai chi hippy was cool!

What's not to love about the guy? Besides Sister Act 2, I mean.

omegapoint
11-23-2002, 12:15 PM
Imagine if you were close friend with a legend like Bruce Lee. Obviously Bruce knew how to pick friends and vice-versa. When Mr. Coburn gets to heaven he'll be in like our man Flynt, pun intended... RIP.

KJM
11-28-2002, 09:33 AM
Mr. Coburn was the worst student Bruce Lee had If you watch Bruce home movies. Bruce was teaching Mr. Coburn how to do a power kick. Bruce was trying not to LOL in Mr. Coburn face. Mr. Coburn paid Bruce Lee $200 dollars an hour. I would be his friend to for that much an hour.Bruce meet him from Steve McQueen whitch Bruce said that McQueen had real talent .Mr. Coburn had none no coordination and so on.