PDA

View Full Version : Shuai Chiao

tanglangbaji
10-08-2002, 12:22 PM
To All Shuai Chiao Stylists-
I would like to ask a few questions regarding the Belt Techniques that I believe are reffered to as "Dai Pu." Now I am not talking about the belt cracking, but the actual locks and throws that are used in conjunction with the belt.
1) What exactly is the translation of Dai Pu? Charachters would be very helpful.

2) Why is it that the Dai Pu techniques are kept "closed door" or rather seceret? I find these techniques EXTREMELY practical and I think they should be shared amongst all stylists regardless of politics. Imagine if the people on the planes of 9-11-01 knew Dai Pu techniques. Safe, easy way to handle an edged weapon effectivley and also an easy way to control the aggressor. PLus we all have a weapon on us like that, a belt!

3) What is the history behind Dai Pu? Did GM Chang create them, or have they been an integral part of the Shuai Chiao system for hundreds of years?

4) Is there ANY reference materials (ie. books, videos)that are available, or anyone who would be willing to help me get some videos so I can train these awesome techniques?

I am not sure if this forum gets much attention from Shuai Chiao stylists (I am new here), but I would like more info on this topic if possible. If anyone knows of a forum that this would be seen by more Shuai Chiao stylists please let me know. Also PLEASE do not include any political BS in responses to this post, I am not interested in p!ss!ng contests, I jsut want to know more about this wonderful aspect of Chinese Martial arts!
Thanks guys!
tanglangbaji@hotmail.com

fa_jing
10-08-2002, 01:22 PM
WaterDragon, who posts here, runs a Shuai Chiao mailing list. I don't remember how to join, will get back to you. Maybe he'll see your post.

Chang Style Novice
10-08-2002, 01:51 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shuaichiao/

That should get you started. Paul Lin and Monkeyslap Too might be able to answer your questions, as well.

kungfu cowboy
11-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Anyone know of a good Shuai Chiao instructor in NE Ohio? :)

Water Dragon
11-19-2002, 02:11 PM
No.

Check with the Ohio State Shaui Chiao club. They may know of someone.

Since you're in Ohio, watch out for stories about lineage holders and I AM THE ONE syndrome. That's all I'll say on that topic ;)

There's Judo guy out of Fort Wayne that posts on Tim Cartmell's board. judo's good stuff. There;s also a good MMA school somewhere in Fort Wayne.

count
11-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
No.

Check with the Ohio State Shaui Chiao club. They may know of someone.

Since you're in Ohio, watch out for stories about lineage holders and I AM THE ONE syndrome. That's all I'll say on that topic ;)

:D :D :D Com'on Water Dragon, I know you can say more on this one.;)

kungfu cowboy
11-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Lol, I know to whom you are referring, WD. But aside from that (even though that is a big red light in my book) is it a good school? I will check out Tim Cartmells board, thanks!

Water Dragon
11-19-2002, 02:37 PM
I have no idea if the individual in question is good or not. I simply don't know.

kungfu cowboy
11-19-2002, 03:47 PM
Ok, thanks WD. They are really close by, so I guess it's worth a look.

Water Dragon
11-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I would say it's worth a look. Go check him out, see what they're about. Just don't buy into the B.S. and understand that there are better guys here in the U.S. (and maybe you'll want to learn something from them one day)

Oh yeah, you do understand I'll have to give you $hit just on principle, right? :D

kungfu cowboy
11-19-2002, 06:48 PM
Right.:D If they have a buttload of propaganda, I'll pass. I'm just interested in learning.

Water Dragon
11-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Another thing you may want to do is go check out the Emptyflower forum. Master John Wang has been posting there lately. He's a student of Chang Tung Sheng, and one of the 4 Students that organized The American Combat Shuai Chiao Association(ACSCA). Master Wang's classmate taught my teacher. That's where he stands in our system.

Master Wang is pretty much laying the cards down on the table. This is pretty much the training philosophy in my school and the way that Shuai Chiao is commonly taught. You shouldread his posts, it'll give you a good idea about what you can expect from the art.

count
11-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Another thing you may want to do is go check out the Emptyflower forum. Master John Wang has been posting there lately. He's a student of Chang Tung Sheng, and one of the 4 Students that organized The American Combat Association. Master Wang's classmate taught my teacher. That's where he stands in our system.

Master Wang is pretty much laying the cards down on the table. This is pretty much the training philosophy in my school and the way that Shuai Chiao is commonly taught. You shouldread his posts, it'll give you a good idea about what you can expect from the art.

I must say that John Wang's posting has been right on target. Do you know his age by any chance? Just curious.

kungfu cowboy
11-20-2002, 02:51 AM
Thanks WD!

Water Dragon
11-20-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by count

I must say that John Wang's posting has been right on target. Do you know his age by any chance? Just curious.

Well I know Dr. Wu is in his early 60's, and Mr. Lin is in his late 50's. So I would tag Mr. Wang at late 40's or early 50's. I'm not sure though, it's just a guess.

Count, here's my personal MMA argument for ya. If you go to any MMA discussion board, and see Royler Gracie posting, you're gonna see a lot of people asking questions and taking what is said to heart.

Only in CMA do they try to argue with someone of that caliber ;)

count
11-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Well I know Dr. Wu is in his early 60's, and Mr. Lin is in his late 50's. So I would tag Mr. Wang at late 40's or early 50's. I'm not sure though, it's just a guess.
Just curious, do you know if he was on the same team as David and Jason?

Count, here's my personal MMA argument for ya. If you go to any MMA discussion board, and see Royler Gracie posting, you're gonna see a lot of people asking questions and taking what is said to heart.

Only in CMA do they try to argue with someone of that caliber ;)
No!!! You see that in all martial arts. But mainly from the inexperienced. Experience teaches humility and respect. After all, what's more humbling than an old fashoned @ss whooping. Martial arts gives you the understanding that life can end in about 2 seconds. If you know CMA you understand all others and all martial arts cultivate respect. Especially respect for the ones who have lived to tell about it.

CrippledAvenger
08-07-2003, 06:49 PM
...rocks my tiny little world. More on this after I shower and get my legs to actually work again.

Good god, getting my arse kicked never was this impressive before!:D

PHILBERT
08-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Congratulations. I myself would love to learn Shuai Chiao, however, the closest guy in my area is close to an hour and a half drive both directions in Plano. And I don't have time. Sadly, I can not learn it right now and must wait until another time in my life, if, I hope, the opportunity returns.

Stranger
08-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Philbert,

How about Victor Ke in Dallas?

PHILBERT
08-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Stranger
Philbert,

How about Victor Ke in Dallas?

Aye, but Dallas is also a good distance to travel. In fact, given that I'm a dirt sucking poor college student with a car payment, tuition that I must cover because my mother claims me on her taxes so I get denied alot of financial aid and scholarships because my income is around $100K, and a car that sucks gas out of it like an SUV, I have a fun enough time driving to my school as it is. I sure as heck can't drive to Dallas too. Its about time and money for me.

SevenStar
08-07-2003, 10:52 PM
I take it you and WD met?

Serpent
08-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT

Aye, but Dallas is also a good distance to travel. In fact, given that I'm a dirt sucking poor college student with a car payment, tuition that I must cover because my mother claims me on her taxes so I get denied alot of financial aid and scholarships because my income is around $100K, and a car that sucks gas out of it like an SUV, I have a fun enough time driving to my school as it is. I sure as heck can't drive to Dallas too. Its about time and money for me.

You earn a hundred grand a year and you're worried about money?!

WTF?!

CrippledAvenger
08-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I take it you and WD met?

Yup. And for the record, I was expecting someone a lot smaller. Someone like... my size. :D

Seriously, he's a cool dude and nice enough to spend two hours of his day teaching me the basics and doing drills. I can't wait till next time.

I never knew how much fun it was to learn to chuck people on their arses.

Laughing Cow
08-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Aaah, money problems.

But than I shouldn't complain since I will soon buy a house for about $350.000.
:D

Yeah, will get garden to practice TJQ in.

Laughing Cow
08-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger

I never knew how much fun it was to learn to chuck people on their arses.

More fun than tying them into bretzel shape??

CrippledAvenger
08-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Dunno. Never tried the pretzel thing. That was my brother's forte. I just hit him when Mom wasn't looking ;)

SevenStar
08-08-2003, 12:21 AM
you thought wd was big?

WD, did you gain some weight?

Water Dragon
08-08-2003, 07:07 AM
Well, that's the first time I've ever been accused of being big. Outside the bedroom any way.

Naw Sev, I'm still the same 6'0" and 175 lbs.

Anyway, I'm just happy you're down to train Crip. No one ever wants to play after the first class. I think you must've chucked me on a rock or something. The whole side of my knee is purple this morning, LOL.

Laughing Cow, we like to tie people up like a pretzel and THEN chuk them on their arses, it's the besdt of both worlds. :D

CrippledAvenger
08-08-2003, 08:24 AM
See, WD, I thought you were a scrawny pencil-neck like myself. ;) I think maybe I'm not good with this whole estimating height, weight thing.

Anyhow, I'm as stiff as a board this morning, but I gotta say-- it was totally worth it. Just did my three flats this morning after my run, and after my legs loosen back up, I'm going out to work on the belt cracking.

I get back from the 'burbs late tomorrow night, so I'll drop you a PM about next week then.

Fun stuff, this Shaui Chiao. :D

Water Dragon
08-08-2003, 08:59 AM

Anyhow, I'm as stiff as a board this morning, but I gotta say-- it was totally worth it.

Shuai Chiao = Good Iron Body training :D

ShaolinTiger00
08-08-2003, 09:14 AM
What is Chinese aikido? :)

I'll try trolling shuai chiao guys for $400 Alex..

Water Dragon
08-08-2003, 09:29 AM
quit lurking you Judo fairy

ShaolinTiger00
08-08-2003, 09:36 AM
hi KKM!

btw: you're method of kicking around an old tire to practice sweeps is a favorite of mine.. good stuff

but you wrote that on the judo/sambo board.. What were you doing there?:eek:

and it's fairie!

SevenStar
08-08-2003, 09:40 AM
See, WD, I thought you were a scrawny pencil-neck like myself. ;) I think maybe I'm not good with this whole estimating height, weight thing.

Nah, it's just that from a weight/width perspective, I think most people I know are small :D

fa_jing
08-08-2003, 09:49 AM
catch you guys next time

although after hearing that description, I'm kinda glad I missed it.

:eek:

(j/k)

SevenStar
08-08-2003, 09:52 AM
thrown on a rock? you didn't break out the crash pad?

SevenStar
08-08-2003, 09:53 AM
which judo/sambo board? The only Judo board I post on is judo info.

Water Dragon
08-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Don't have a crash pad. We're training 15th Century China Style :D

CrippledAvenger
08-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Don't have a crash pad. We're training 15th Century China Style :D

Does this mean I have to grow a queue? :eek:

CrippledAvenger
08-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Hey Fa_jing,

I forgot to drop you a PM last night, but WD and I are thinking Tuesday & Thursday next week? You going to be free? I have to go out to the West Burbs for a wedding tonight and tomorrow, so this weekend's pretty much out.

ShaolinTiger00
08-08-2003, 10:21 AM
7*, not you. I was talking to the skinny guy :D

SevenStar
08-08-2003, 10:30 AM

PHILBERT
08-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Serpent

You earn a hundred grand a year and you're worried about money?!

WTF?!

My PARENTS earn around 80K a year, I earn only 15K a year. It is based off HOUSEHOLD income, so if I lived in Bill Gates' home, and applied, my income would be like 20 billion even though I might only make 15 thousand.

See, my parents have alot of stuff they have to pay off. And my mom continues buying stuff. We have 1 house, 2 cars, and my mom persists in buying new furniture and redecorating. The lady has no friends, save for 1 lady, and the only people who see the stuff is family and we don't care what it looks like. Hell, I lived in the house for 8 months and realized my bedroom did not have any drapery over the windows, just blinds.

fa_jing
08-08-2003, 10:56 AM
I'll shoot for Thursday. If I have trouble sleeping from being bruised up, it's only one day of work to slog through half-asleep, then I'm on vacation. Yupi!

Water Dragon
08-08-2003, 11:09 AM
hmmm, so you're going to have at least a week to lay up and recover? Can anyone say: repetetive shoulder throws with no mat?

Xebsball
08-08-2003, 11:13 AM
all you americans and your rich money

i pizss on your eyes

Shaolin-Do
08-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Im making 24-32k a year... its just a job tho.
:)

Just wait till I get my music goinl....

CrippledAvenger
08-08-2003, 02:20 PM
hmmm, so you're going to have at least a week to lay up and recover? Can anyone say: repetetive shoulder throws with no mat?

You make it sound like a bad thing. ;)

Laughing Cow
08-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Xebsball
all you americans and your rich money

i pizss on your eyes

I am not American, nevertheless I get a good Salary.
Combine that with my Wife's and we manage to survive.
;)

To be honest my income tax is more than what my wife earns.
:p

Shaolin-Do
08-11-2003, 09:55 AM
"To be honest my income tax is more than what my wife earns"

Exactly why moms didnt get a job till they divorced :)

I would be bothered if I worked basically for free.... ****ed taxes...

SwaiingDragon
06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
www.ShuaiJiao.net

Site has brief description of Shuai Jiao as well as links to Schools in New York, Texas, California, Ohio that offer instructions.

Thank you.

SPJ
06-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Good link.

SwaiingDragon
06-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Thank you.

CaptinPickAxe
06-15-2004, 07:12 AM
My branch of Shuai Chiao. I used to attend the San Antonio Chapter of the ACSCA

http://sa_combatshuaichiao.tripod.com/

I studied under Sifu Kirk and plan to continue my training when I return tomarrow

dingyuan
11-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Hi

Just want to ask if anyone here practices Shuai Chiao?

And does anyone know where can I find some good Shuai Chiao clips online, thank you.

MonkeySlap Too
11-29-2004, 11:45 PM
www.johnswang.com

no really, it's John S. Wang - not a poorno site.

He's a great SC master, and has many clips linked.

dingyuan
11-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the link

Water Dragon
11-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Nope. No Shuai Chiao around these parts.

SevenStar
11-30-2004, 12:20 PM
you sure that's not a pron site?

Meat Shake
11-30-2004, 01:00 PM
I had some good shuai chiao clips, but some guy ran in and smashed my computer on the ground.
He was wearing a shirt that said ASCSA.

Chang Style Novice
11-30-2004, 01:03 PM
You ACSCA guys think you're so tough.

Well, my dawgs in the ASPCA would FU(K YOU UP!

Water Dragon
11-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Another Cock Sucking Chinese *******?

Meat Shake
11-30-2004, 02:32 PM
?
I figured it meant Asians Smash Computers, Stupid Americans.

phoenix-eye
11-30-2004, 02:57 PM
http://www.hunggarasse.com/

Some clips here in the video section

PE

wiz cool c
12-01-2004, 06:32 PM
www.kungfuinaction.com

SwaiingDragon
02-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Since thea article was released in Inside Kung Fu I have recieved many calls/emails about Shuai Jiao / Chiao classes in New York....

classes are available in:

-Manhattan &
-Bellrose, Long Island

the Basics: Shuai Jiao , Chinese wrestling, incorporates all the fundamentals of a complete martial art - punching, kicking, joint-locking, throwing and pressure points. With an emphasis on throws, over the last thousand years it's become both a sport and effective police martial art. The instructors are of (Iron Butterfly) Chang Tung Sheng's lineage.

inquiries can be sent to:

shuaijiaony@hotmail.com

it may take a day or so for us to get back to you....

Regards....

Water Dragon
02-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Who's teaching?

CaptinPickAxe
02-07-2005, 09:25 AM
I bet the notorious David Lin...not the ATL one.

Water Dragon
02-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Could be Jeng Hsing-Ping's guys too.

lkfmdc
02-07-2005, 10:11 AM
If it is the "David Lin" of NY..... RUN, RUN FAST, DO NOT LOOK BACK

But I have heard that Shihfu Jeng is un-retired and teaching again... and my friend James Chin has a student teaching in Manhattan now also ....

SwaiingDragon
02-07-2005, 10:13 AM
forgive me...I forget how people always assume the worst...

yes, we're Master Jeng, Hsing-Ping 's students...

please feel free to email us with any questions....

lkfmdc
02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by SwaiingDragon

we're Master Jeng, Hsing-Ping 's students...

In that case :D :D :D :D :D

MonkeySlap Too
02-07-2005, 11:51 AM
yep, I heard he's very good.

wiz cool c
02-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Where when and how much are classes?

SwaiingDragon
02-08-2005, 07:56 AM
email us at:

www.shuaijiaony@hotmail.com

long island depends on availablilty...

manhattan is working 1-2 times a week...

SJNYC
02-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm another of Jeng Hsing Ping's students. Please either email us: shuaijiaony@hotmail.com......or check out our website...www.shuaijiao.net

Water Dragon
02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Are you guys members on the Yahoo Shuai Chiao list? If not, PM your e-mail and I'll add you.

Mr. C
02-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Good luck on spreading Swai Jiao, and the sub arts of Chin na and Ti men gung. Jeng Sifu had great police tactics (Dai Pu Shu)!

phantom
02-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Do you just teach the basics or the whole art? Thanks in advance.

SwaiingDragon
02-09-2005, 12:09 PM
WaterDragon-

I don't believe we're listed anywhere....our site (a work in progress) is www.shuaijiao.net

thank for any help...

Mr C-

Thanks Shifu Jeng and Shifu Chin (his student) are stil quited impressive-

phantom-

we teach the entire art as it was taught to us - as with anything else you'll have to put in the time....

sunjai
06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Anybody know any good chinese wrestling schools here in the SF bay area?

Dragonzbane76
06-14-2010, 03:44 PM
oh you said SF... i was going to recommend the Ohio state university shuai jiao team. :)

Frost
06-15-2010, 07:53 AM
oh you said SF... i was going to recommend the Ohio state university shuai jiao team. :)

lol yes it must he hard to find a good wrestling team in the states :)

Dragonzbane76
06-15-2010, 08:22 AM
well they have wrestling (apparently) :) , but they also have a shuai jiao team as well. So they don't have any wrestling over in your area? Wrestling everywhere here. I came up through school in wrestling.

Frost
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
well they have wrestling (apparently) :) , but they also have a shuai jiao team as well. So they don't have any wrestling over in your area? Wrestling everywhere here. I came up through school in wrestling.

not in school, submission grappling is everywhere now, and judo has always been big. Best place for free style is the asian (indian and pakistani) communites

hskwarrior
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
In san Francisco we have a few judo schools, and this guy used to teach here as well

http://www.osukungfu.com/drweng.html

looks like the Head Quarters are in Cupertino.

i was trained as a judge under him.

sunjai
06-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks again hskwarrior! That was very very helpful !!

Dragonzbane76
06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
not in school, submission grappling is everywhere now, and judo has always been big. Best place for free style is the asian (indian and pakistani) communites

yeah judo has been around since the early 60's in my area. Wrestling has always been around though. I was in first grade wrestling :) You say india pakistani has a lot of grappling free style these day? those 2 don't strike me as a grappling bases, more kali/phillipino style stuff, but then again i've never been exposed on that side to much to know.

YouKnowWho
06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Anybody know any good chinese wrestling schools here in the SF bay area?

If you don't mind to drive 200 miles south, you may find a SC instructor in Pismo Beach, California.

By the way, why this threat belong to "Southern Chinese Kung Fu"?

SevenStar
06-28-2010, 08:28 PM
If you don't mind to drive 200 miles south, you may find a SC instructor in Pismo Beach, California.

By the way, why this threat belong to "Southern Chinese Kung Fu"?

It doesnt. I'll move it.

Back to the topic though, I was told by a good SC instructor that if you can't find an SC school, go to a good judo school. If you get a chance to ever work with SC, then you will at least have a solid base of throwing skills.

Frost
06-29-2010, 02:32 AM
yeah judo has been around since the early 60's in my area. Wrestling has always been around though. I was in first grade wrestling :) You say india pakistani has a lot of grappling free style these day? those 2 don't strike me as a grappling bases, more kali/phillipino style stuff, but then again i've never been exposed on that side to much to know.

india and pakisatn has a huge wrestling background going back centuries, there traditional wrestling style (kushdi wrestling i think) was similar to free style in that you won by throwing the guy to his back, but it had no real ground work. Traditionally every town had a wrestling team it was a massive sport there last century with the best athletes being full time paid fighters (and is still big over there with hundreds of full time schools)

That wrestling tradition lives on in the indian and pakistani communites here in the UK but now they train more free style than old school wrestling

Dragonzbane76
06-29-2010, 04:31 AM
interesting... have to do some research on it.

Thanks

SPJ
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI1hJoqnt30

:cool:

YouKnowWho
08-04-2010, 02:18 PM
This is very logical way to train CMA.

- solo drills
- 2 men drills
- equipment training
- defense and counters
- combos
- principles and theory

GeneChing
10-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Follow the link below to a short news vid on SCMP.

CHINA
Chinese-style wrestling becomes new method of relieving stress (https://www.scmp.com/video/china/2113201/chinese-style-wrestling-becomes-new-method-relieving-stress?utm_source=Direct)

30 SHARES

Chinese-style wrestling is becoming a new method of relieving stress and improving physical fitness in Tianjin Municipality.