PDA

View Full Version : Arms on a wooden dummy...which?

straight blast
11-21-2002, 12:14 AM
Looking in to buying a wooden dummy soon. Some of them come with arms that are tapered towards the user end, and some others just have big round clunky arms.

My question: What's the difference? I prefer the tapered ones (probs 'cos that's what we have in my kwoon) but is there actually some difference that translates- perhaps across linages?

And while we're at it...

The dummy I'm looking into has a triangular floor mount (the other mount is just too big for my unit) which allows some pretty realistic movement of the dummy when pulled. What are the pros and cons of the triangle mount vs the other mount? Since I'll probably be using this dummy for the next 50 years or so I'd like to know all I can about them.

Thanks!

Wingman
11-21-2002, 01:33 AM
Choose the dummy with arms that are tapered towards the user end. The dummy's arms are just like a person's forearms, the diameter is greater near the elbow and it tapers towards the wrist.

IronFist
11-21-2002, 02:13 AM
Yes, tapered.

IronFist

stuartm
11-21-2002, 02:24 AM
www.woodendummies.co.uk - believe me , they are the best you can buy and come with an adjustable hardwood frame.

Go buy

Stuart

Rob Wolf
11-21-2002, 03:11 AM
Also check out www.little-raven.com for some cool wing chun equipment. all the best, Rob www.sillumwingchun.com

Mokujin
11-21-2002, 09:32 AM
When you mention the triangular base... are you referring to just a triangular ground unit, or something like the corner stand from the Great Lion Company? Their unit fits perfectly in the corner.

If you're referring to a small triangular ground unit, then from what I've heard, I'd stay away for that because it doesn't offer enough support & stability for dummy practice.

Hope this helps.

BTW- Where do you plan to purchase your dummy?

Peace!
Mokujin

wingchunalex
11-21-2002, 11:17 AM
I love my dummy from immortal. i think the website is immortal-usa.com but im not sure. I got the ground base and it works great. its very heavy and solid. the ground base is great too if you have a space problem. I have mine in my room in a mobile home. there is no way i could have one if i had to have a huge standing frame one.

Mr Punch
11-26-2002, 12:09 AM
ttt...

it's related to wingchun... :rolleyes: :D

Frank Exchange
11-26-2002, 05:08 AM
The end of the dummy arms do not represent the wrists. More often, they represent the opponents elbows.
Also, I don't know many peoples whose wrists are positioned 18 inches or so from their bodies! :)

So the tapering or not of the arms is largely down to personal preference. If that is what you are used to, get the tapered ones.

straight blast
11-26-2002, 06:47 PM
When you mention the triangular base... are you referring to just a triangular ground unit, or something like the corner stand from the Great Lion Company? Their unit fits perfectly in the corner.

It's a triangular ground unit designed to fit in a corner. I plan to buy my dummy from Queensland Martial Arts Suppliers, but I'm also looking into seeing if my instructor can find me one too.

Mat...wtf is the ttt thing? I see it everywhere...:confused:

I'd really like to shop at some of these online stores but being that most of them are overseas it'd just be too much to buy. I have seen some sweet ones that would be ridiculously expensive by the time I got them here. Oh well!