PDA

View Full Version : Train for Fighting!!

General Kwei
11-21-2002, 03:10 PM
Ok, I posted this in the health and training section as well. I am beginning training for fighting. I am looking over schools this weekend to see where I will be training at, but I also need a training program for at home. Specifically I am just looking for solo stuff to work on at home, I have weights and have a weight lifting program, I also have access to a heavy bag.
So, with that in mind do you have any suggestions or do you have links to sites that have ideas for training.

I am looking for some serious conditioning here. I am in pretty good shape already but would like to be at the top of my form.

yenhoi
11-21-2002, 03:37 PM
How long until your first fight?
How long will the rounds be?
What is the format? (What is allowed/not allowed)

SevenStar
11-21-2002, 03:49 PM
1. check out scrapper's workouts
2. buy "Power to the People"
3. Search the Training forum here on KFO
4. Train.

Once you start training, formulate some questions.

General Kwei
11-21-2002, 03:51 PM
Sevenstar - what is scrappers workout?

Yenhoi, I emailed you personally so look for that! I am not sure yet, still trying to determine that so at the moment I am just looking to get into good shape, but I want to try to do exersises good for martial or combat training

Has anyone tried Matt Fureys stuff?

FatherDog
11-21-2002, 06:21 PM
When you say "training for fighting", do you mean you're training for a specific sports-fighting context, or do you just want to be at the top of your game in general?

Really, (in my opinion) there are four corners you have to train. Absolute Strength, Endurance Strength, Cardio, and Technique.

Sevenstar already suggested Power to the People (excellent for absolute strength) and Scrapper's workouts (www.trainforstrength.com, good for endurance strength and cardo) Honestly, cardio is going to be one of the main things you need. The best way to train that is to go many rounds with the heavy bag, because it allows you to train your technique at the same time. Always look for exercises and drills that let you work two or more of the four corners at once.

shenwu disciple
11-21-2002, 08:10 PM
http://www.crossfit.com/

FatherDog
11-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Also, Furey's stuff is really not worth the money. All the exercises he details are available for free or much lower cost elsewhere.

http://www.trainforstrength.com is Scrapper's workouts, which are excellent for endurance and cardio.

http://www.exrx.net/ is a great rundown of a wide variety of exercises, with animated gifs.

Merryprankster
11-22-2002, 09:17 AM
General,

I want to warn you--training for a fight is 99% likely to be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life. I'm not knocking you or your experiences--it's just gruelling day in and out labor for 8-12 weeks. I also have to say that once you are in that kind of shape, try not to lose it because climbing back up is THE hardest thing, IMO.

Good Luck

P.S. if it turns out NOT to be the hardest thing you've ever done... find a new trainer.

Suntzu
11-22-2002, 09:25 AM
P.S. if it turns out NOT to be the hardest thing you've ever done... find a new trainer.dude… u been making too much sense on this board lately…
and to piggy back off of what I said on the training forum… hot baths… ice… and various linaments… hot tubs are the greatest inventions on the planet…

I'm not sure of your current conditioning but I would hold off on the weight training for a little while until your body adapts…

Merryprankster
11-22-2002, 09:28 AM
You want the honest truth on that Suntzu? Whether I'm right or wrong, I've gotten pretty tired of being diplomatic :) I guess I'm getting cranky in my old age. :D

You are TOO **** close for us not to train together sometime!

Suntzu
11-22-2002, 09:35 AM
no doubt… we WAS working on that before… but that was a while ago… my KF buddy that I wanted u guys to beat up, just got a knock out ( wobbly legs and all ) last weekend… so I think he's ready for yall...

General Kwei
11-22-2002, 09:41 AM
MP - If it makes you feel any better, I almost lost my lunch at the end of my workout last night. Its the hardest workout I have done in years and it feels good in that weird, painful sort of way :)

I wont be "officially" training for a couple of weeks, I have appointments to go see a couple of the schools, by the way MP I think that these guys are who I am going to go with : http://www.mmaacombatzone.com/ I talked to a couple of their instructors and a couple of the students there in serious training and it sounds like they have a competitive edge the other schools dont.

The main purpose of these post is to find a myriad of exersises to sort of record so I can keep my training fresh at home. I will only be training at the school 3 days a week starting out, I have a long ay to go in some of my fighting skills but I hope to be ready to fight in some ametuer stuff here in 6-8 months, atleast locally.

The good news is I am pushing myself much harder then I have in the past and have relocated my desire for Martial Arts training. My CMA training, while legite and very good for self defense etc.. wasnt pushing me hard enough.

I am hoping to be back in my normal incarnation here soon as well, possibly today, just needed to work some things out ;)

Merryprankster
11-22-2002, 09:42 AM
Well, you can send him down, but he'll have to talk to Lloyd. I'm afraid I don't speak for him. But if you just want to meet and pound on each other sometime, I am amenable to that!

Merryprankster
11-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Hmm... I had a feeling you might train there GK. Sean Sherk is NO JOKE!

red5angel
11-22-2002, 09:48 AM
OK, I am back! for all o fyou who may not recognize me I am also General Kwei, I had to use an alternate screen name for a short while. I appreciate everyones help so far! The links have proved to be very useful! So has the advice!

MP - Yeah, they seem pretty serious about competing and training people who want to compete. They have a good setup and with guys like Sean Sherk attesting to the effectiveness of thier programs, well, what can one say!?

I am pumped though, I love to hit it hard and work for it!

Suntzu
11-22-2002, 09:50 AM
that’s cool… we're going to PA next week end but we'll most def have to check yall out after that…

General- for now on my off days I would run… do some sprints… knockout a few pushups and other bodyweight exercises… u know the scapper type stuff… when your ready for the weights look up periodization articles… check out renegade training and the like... experiment with cycles and various exercises (reps and sets) find out what works best for u... some exercises people swear by but i dont like... some i swear by and they think i'm crazy... so whatever works for u... one thing i like to do is watch fights and steal combos... and like i said get plenty of rest... if u 'dont have it' one day than skip... listen to your body...

yenhoi
11-22-2002, 10:04 AM
*que darkwing duck music*

anyways, now you WILL have to learn how to sprawl. :eek:

and! takedown people.... hah! :eek: :eek:

Merryprankster
11-22-2002, 10:09 AM
I've got a circuit routine you can use. Shoot me an e-mail.

I wouldn't do it more than two sets, twice a week to start out with, and you'll need to know...

Sprawl
Elbow Escape
Knee on belly

But once you've got that stuff the circuit will make sense.

James

red5angel
11-22-2002, 10:17 AM
LOL!@Yenhoi, yep, I will have to learn to sprawl and take people to the ground! It's crazy isnt it! Wonder what those guys in the wing chun forum would say...... ;)

MP - email is sent!

Suntzu, I think alot of that comes from the fact that some things work for some people better then others. Its the same with diets. I have seen some diets work great for some people but not so great for others, yet when they finally find one that works, it really works!

Merryprankster
11-22-2002, 10:19 AM
I'll shoot you the e-mail when I get back from NYC--on monday.

Cheers!

James

SevenStar
11-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Dude, empty your pm box. I wanna check out that circuit too. shoot me a pm with it when you get a chance.

FatherDog
11-22-2002, 12:22 PM
I'd like to check out the circuit routine too, if you don't mind...

yenhoi
11-22-2002, 12:26 PM
MP should just post the circuit...

red5angel
11-22-2002, 12:33 PM
LOL! Looks like you should just stick it up on the forum here MP, have fun in NYC!

Cipher
11-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Hehe, I would like to see it too MerryP. Would you mind posting it see? If not can I email or PM you?

Merryprankster
11-24-2002, 07:13 PM
LOL!

Yeah, I'll post it when I get to work!

I have to say, it does it's job. It paid off at NAGA!

Volcano Admim
11-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Well, young mma scum one, just lettings know i dont want your circuit.

SevenStar
11-24-2002, 10:32 PM
well, just letting you know - we don't give a ****

yenhoi
11-24-2002, 10:59 PM
:eek:

Merryprankster
11-25-2002, 04:02 AM
First, Volcano is a tool.

And here is the circuit. Each exercise lasts 30 seconds. All are to be done as fast as you humanly can.

1. "retard run." It's like running in place. Sort of. Start with your right arm and left foot forward. Jump a bit and switch so your left arm and right foot are forward. Rinse, lather, repeat....

2. Side shuffle--3 to the left, switch, 3 to the right, switch. Don't let your feet cross or get near each other.

3. Jumping jacks

4. Side shuffle+sprawl. 3 to left, sprawl, three to right, sprawl etc.

5. Push ups. Can't do any more? Do em on your knees.

6. 35 lbs plate sit ups--except you do them with your arms extended above your chest, not in tight. Don't bring your chest to your knees. You only come about half-way up.

7. Russian twists with 12 lb medicing ball. Use a dumbell if you don't have this.

8. 35 lbs plate twist, standing. Extend your arms as far as you can without getting your arm straight. Since you've got to be fast, find the happy compromise between effort and and really fast.

9. pull ups or mountain climbers.

10. jumping guard pass from side to side, pinning the legs down as you do it. I use a grappling dummy, but a heavy bag works too.

11. knee on belly to knee on belly switch drills

12. knee and elbow escapes, 5 to each side, switch, 5 to each side, switch, etc.

I'm sure you can substitute exercises--this one is geared towards grappling/mma. But I don't see why you couldn't do uchi-komi instead of jumping guard pass or kick the heavy bag alternate legs, etc.

Anyway, the circuit lasts 6 minutes. You change exercises every 30 seconds, and you rest five minutes between each circuit. Try it 3 in a row, 3 times a week.

yenhoi
11-25-2002, 08:52 AM
not sure what:

russian twists and
mountain climbers

are....

Looks fun. Needs salsa.

Suntzu
11-25-2002, 09:08 AM
russian twist - don’t do them… but will start to soon…
mountain climbers = pain in da azz…
salsa b4 the workout = offensive breath to the people u work out with…

red5angel
11-27-2002, 02:52 PM
anyone got a link or something showing pictures on how to do a mountain climber?

The russian twist, is that where you sit down, legs in front of you, hold the medicine ball out at arms length, lean back a bit and twist one direction and then the other?

Mumbles
11-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Mountain Climbers-- Basically just getting into a pushup position and pumping your legs so that you're basically "running" from the pushup position. Just start in the pushup position, and plant one foot forward, and then quickly return to its original position while simultaneously bringing the other foot forward. If you do these quickly for long enough, they will take the breath right out of you =).

Hope this makes sense. Fight training is all sorts of fun, from almost vomiting and passing out in practice to being able to sleep 12 hours at a time. Good luck.

Brad Souders
11-29-2002, 10:17 PM
here is one of my cardio routines.

2 minute rounds

1st 30 seconds: are squat thrusts. This is where you start standing, drop to a push up position, push back up to your feeet, and jump a little up and throw your arms straight up. ( do as many as you can in the 30 seconds don't set a number)

2nd 30 seconds: activity. this could be hitting the bag, working on shoots, picking up the bag for pick up drills, moving on the ground, etc.... ( as long as it keeps you mad active in the process)

last 1 minute: active rest. This could be jump rope,jogging in place,laying on your back and pulling your knees to your chest tight, etc....

Now this is one round and there are no breaks between rounds. And when you find out how long the fight is double it in your routine. It better to be tired there, then when some dude is smacking your face.

Also work on getting hit/defense against punches when your tired. Trust me its a whole new world when the arms are heavy. Later, Brad