PDA

View Full Version : boxing stance

SevenStar
11-22-2002, 01:33 AM
I saw this on another forum and thought it was worth posting here.

Terminology and Stance
Terms of Direction, Forward, Backward, Outside and Inside.

In teaching my system of boxing the direction of the different punches and moves are very important. Forward and backward are self explanatory. I do not use the terms left or right as it relates to direction. It is easier to use the terms OUTSIDE and INSIDE to determine and refer to lateral direction. These moves can be employed by either the right-handed or the left handed boxer.

Lateral movement is started from the center of the body. For the right handed boxer movement to his left (toward his jab) is referred to as movement to the OUTSIDE. Movement that starts to his right (toward his power hand) is referred to as movement to the INSIDE. For the left handed fighter the terms remain the same. Any move that starts towards his jab hand is to the OUTSIDE and any move towards his power hand is going to his INSIDE.

Proper On Guard (Stance) position. The proper stance is very critical. All offense, defense and movement must come from a balanced and relaxed stance. There are many different stances depending on the preference of the of the trainer and the boxer. Some stances are very square with almost the entire body with the shoulders and hips in a straight line and both feet in a straight line. Others are slanted at an angle with the rear shoulder almost hidden. Some boxers have a severe parallel stance showing very little of their body with their feet at a right angle to their head.

The directions for the stance that I use in my system will be described for the right handed boxer. For the left handed boxer the stance is the same just reverse the directions.

1. Place your left foot directly in front of your left shoulder. 2. Place your right foot under your right shoulder, step back with your right foot about 18 inches and turn your right foot to approximately a 45 degree angle. There should be a slight angle with the back shoulder directly over the right foot.

3. You should be in a comfortable stance, bend both knees slightly and sit slightly, dropping down an inch or two. Raise your right heal so that you are resting on your entire left foot and the front half of your right foot. You should feel a bit "springy" and loose, not at all tight.

4. Tuck your chin into the center of your chest so that you can see forward with the tops your eyes. All you need is a very narrow focus. You should focus your gaze on your opponents shoulders, you want to see any hint of movement.

5. With your elbows close to your body, turn your hands and palms forward with the fingers open, do not make a fist. Keeping your hands in a tight fist will only tire your hands and arms and make them react slowly.

6.The left hand should be over the left foot. 7. The right hand should be just in front of right ear. There should be about a 6 inch open area between your hands.

omegapoint
11-22-2002, 04:54 AM
The stance that he described is the traditional boxing stance. Some folks adopt a longer stance, a wide, shorter stance or no set stance at all. Guys like Pernell Whitker and Roy Jones use a combination of stances (or no real stance at all). The boxing stance is similar to many fighting postures used in the martial arts. The shallow t-stance (as compared to the longer back-leaning stance) seen in BJJ, and some karate styles is very similar. In the BJJ case a lot of the weight is placed on the rear leg so that a low knee kick can be executed with a follow up shoot.

Some karate styles (and JKD) adopt a fighting posture that is almost exactly as homey described. Shorinkan Shorin Ryu calls it a "small-bow stance". Okinawan Goju Ryu's Sanchin Dachi is similar, but the front foot is turned in more and the back foot is flat. Another difference in Boxing vs. MAs "fighting stances" is that the fists are "loosely" clenched, and often tightened at impact. You could keep your hands open, palms forward to parry and grab, but without the padding fingers may get messed-up. At the least your lead hand is in a fist and the rear open for a "spare block" or "guard hand". Both fists are usually closed though.

Another point that I think people overlook when comparing posture and blocking/defense in the street vs. the ring (bare-knuckles as opposed to padded fists), is the fact that without that extra protection afforded with gloves (barefists are much smaller) some of the principles may be less effective in reality. Gloves can be brought up to the side of the face and can protect a larger area by providing a padded surface that allows the gloves to absorb or deflect the impact. The same defense can result in bone-on-bone contact and damage to you hands or even face if you decide to "cover-up" in this way.

A good fighting stance is a natural posture, walking stride length and width, or one that allows for a diminished sillhouette, as well as quick foot and body transition(s). There are also several balance points that may work against you in the street if you choose to use a boxing stance. For example, the rear foot, or any foot, not rooted can result in decreased balance, and against a grappler certain doom. Takedowns, sweeps and throws are not addressed in Boxing. No need to worry about that in a match!

More important than stance is body movement; "move, get out the way"! You may not have time to get your base set in a stance. Any stance you are in should be a good fighting stance. Traditional Okinawan karate teaches the beginning student how to "walk" properly at the onset. This training can last months for some less-coordinated types. I think Bagua's "circle-walking" is similar in concept.

Understanding what your opponent is doing and where you need to go, takes years to become automatic. Going to the "inside" or "outside", is not dependent on what stance your opponent is in or which hand is the lead and so forth, but where you are in relation to his nearest "rear corner". That's where you want to be, ideally. I won't explain any further as I'm going off on a tangent. Lates, and that was a real good explanation of a solid boxing stance. Boxing is an awesome sport....

SevenStar
11-22-2002, 01:32 PM
ttt

Stranger
11-22-2002, 01:39 PM
Omegapoint is correct about the value of a natural posture.

Xebsball
11-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by omegapoint
Another point that I think people overlook when comparing posture and blocking/defense in the street vs. the ring (bare-knuckles as opposed to padded fists), is the fact that without that extra protection afforded with gloves (barefists are much smaller) some of the principles may be less effective in reality. Gloves can be brought up to the side of the face and can protect a larger area by providing a padded surface that allows the gloves to absorb or deflect the impact. The same defense can result in bone-on-bone contact and damage to you hands or even face if you decide to "cover-up" in this way.

A good fighting stance is a natural posture, walking stride length and width, or one that allows for a diminished sillhouette, as well as quick foot and body transition(s). There are also several balance points that may work against you in the street if you choose to use a boxing stance. For example, the rear foot, or any foot, not rooted can result in decreased balance, and against a grappler certain doom. Takedowns, sweeps and throws are not addressed in Boxing. No need to worry about that in a match!

More important than stance is body movement; "move, get out the way"! You may not have time to get your base set in a stance. Any stance you are in should be a good fighting stance. Traditional Okinawan karate teaches the beginning student how to "walk" properly at the onset. This training can last months for some less-coordinated types. I think Bagua's "circle-walking" is similar in concept.

Very true, its something i had thought of before as well.
On Xing Yi we use Santi, wich keeps most weight on back leg, its quite mobile, allows good balance and consequently power generation. A western fencing stance looks somewhat close to Santi, for a reference.

yenhoi
11-22-2002, 03:12 PM
what forum did you find this on?

SevenStar
11-22-2002, 04:03 PM
it was under the boxing section on mma.tv