PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Liu and Hung Gar

illusionfist
06-30-2000, 09:03 AM
What's up folks? I just finished watching Master Killer (aka 36 chambers of Shaolin) and i didn't realize how much hung gar is in it. In one sequence of the movie (where Gordon Liu is actually starting to learn boxing methods)they are actually doing a sequence from gung gee fuk fu kuen (taming the tiger). During the intro of the movie, Liu is performing parts of Tid Sin Kuen (iron wire).

My question is, who did Gordon Liu learn hung gar from? Also, did he inherit any of the Lau Gar system (his last name is Lau in cantonese right?)

He also does a lot of hung gar in Challenge of the Masters. If i am not mistaken, he plays Wong Fei Hung in that movie.

Peace my friends /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lost_Disciple
06-30-2000, 09:21 AM
Yo Chris, how you been?
Sorry I ain't written, but all of my normal internet info ain't handy since I lost my job, and I haven't been surfing much.

I seem to remember reading on here, that both Gordon Liu, and his brother Kung Fu Lau(aka Kung Fu Lau- the old dude from Drunken Master 2) BOTH learned Lau gar. I think Gordon learned Hung Gar from his brother or from his brother's teacher. Kung fu Lau is actually one of the guys my (and Thomas's) sifu idolizes. I've seen the pictures on sifu's fridge. heheh

Not much going on in the personal life, started training with another dai sihing (Snoop), who my sifu actually calls "sihing" because Snoop started with my sigung first. I need a job. My gf dumped me again- thought it was serious, but today we were laughing again on the phone. Oh yah and I'm kinda drunk again. http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

Drop me a line,
Eric

illusionfist
06-30-2000, 09:33 AM
Yo eric are you still using the same email??

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bean curd
06-30-2000, 02:16 PM
illusion,

gordon liu (liu chia huey) received his training from his foster brother, liu chia liang.

liu chia liang was taught by his father liu chan si dai gung, who was a very renonwned hung gar player in hong kong.

liu chan was taught by the great lam tsai wing

liu chia liang was also a director of chinese hong kong movies at the time.

regards

molum_jr
06-30-2000, 03:47 PM
If you have cable, you may be able to see Donald Lui play the villianous roles in chinese soap opera series. I like the dark roles that he plays...

Kung Lek
06-30-2000, 08:05 PM
Hi-

I have been led to understand that the Lau Gar system is an offshoot of Hung Gar system and uses kuen from Hung Gar within it.

affirmations or denials?

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

illusionfist
07-01-2000, 12:04 AM
Kung Lek- are you talking about the Lau Gar from a long time ago, or are you talking about the "shorthand" lau gar that has surfaced?

From what i understand, Lam Sai Wing added Lau Gar to the Hung Gar curriculum so that it wouldn't be lost. He felt that Lau Gar had many qualities that were a kin to Hung Gar, so it seemed like a no brainer. So that's why we have the empty hand set and the long pole of lau gar. There is a palm form in Lau Gar, but it is believed that it was lost, even during the time that Lam Sai Wing was learning the system.

The shorthand version of Lau Gar has a palm set (well at least that's what i am told), but i am not knowledgable enough to talk about the shorthand lau gar.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HuangKaiVun
07-01-2000, 04:56 AM
Actually, ALL the Hong Kong movies have lots of Hung Ga and Bak Siu Lum and Wing Chun.

Jackie Chan's "Rumble in the Bronx" has a ton of Wing Chun - including a phenomenal mok yan jong training sequence.

I saw quite a bit of Northern Shaolin in that movie too - especially in the broadsword training sequence and by the terrific Han Ying. Then again, those movies mix up all the styles.

In the Jet Li movie "Deadly China Hero", Gordon Liu uses a ton of Hung Ga Tiger - but loses to a shaven Liang Chia Ren ("Tiger") and that little "Crane" side kick.

Je Lei Sifu
07-02-2000, 07:25 AM
Illusionfist:

How's it going brother?

From my understanding of the Lau Brother,(Lau Ga Lueng, Lau Ga Fai, Lau Ga Yung)they are the son's of Lam Sai Wings student Lau Jaam.

Lau Jaam suppose to be the one who taught his family style (Lau Gar) to Lam Sai Wing. Lam Jaam also played as Lam Sai Wing in the older Wong Fai Hung movies starring Kwan Tak Hing.

Lau Jaam taught his family style as well as Hung Gar to his son Lau Ga Leung, who also acted in some of the older Wong Fai Hung movies.

Lau Ga Fai, aka: Gordon Lui, learn is gung fu from is older brother, Lau Ga Leung. By the way, Gordon is an adopted son. He was an orphan who hung around Gung Fu Leung's school and the family decided to adopted him.

Another movie in which all three brother have a major role in is legendary weapons of Kung Fu. At the end there is a great fight scene between the older Lau and the younger Lau Ga Yung.

Hope this answer your question to some extent.

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

illusionfist
07-02-2000, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replies folks, they were helpful to say the least.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

07-02-2000, 04:50 PM
Afternoon all.

I study shorthand Lau Gar in the UK. From what I've read my understanding was that (and here details will get v. sketchy- I read this a long time ago) elements of Lau Gar were "preserved" in Hung Gar at a time when fighting was forbidden by whichever dynasty, um.... forbade it (I told you!) because Lau was not so big on forms and sets but instead concentrated heavily on sparring and fighting. Hence it became difficult to practise without breaking the law. Does that make any sense? I'm tired...

FistOfShaolin
07-08-2000, 03:13 AM
If you want to see a great interview with Gordon Liu (and several other martial artists), you should watch the movie "Top Fighter"! You should be able to rent it from your local Hollywood Video or Blockbuster. It's a documentary about some of the best fighters in martial arts film, and has an interview with Gordon in which he talks of his childhood, training, etc. I would definitely recommend it to anyone!
As a side note, I found the interview with Bolo Yeung to be interesting, he said his preferred art is actually Tai Chi Chuan! Who would think that such a big guy would prefer Tai Chi over a "harder" style.

[This message has been edited by FistOfShaolin (edited 07-08-2000).]

loki
07-08-2000, 10:33 AM
Hi people, here's a treat! Check out Gordon Liu doing classical Hung Gar in real life.

Got to http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/charris/sap.htm

Peace

FistOfShaolin
07-08-2000, 11:57 PM
Thanks for posting that link, Loki! That is a very nice Hung Gar site. Ha ha, it's the first time I've seen Gordin Liu with hair! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ky-Fi
07-09-2000, 08:31 PM
Classic pictures of Gordon Liu!! I'm guessing......circa 1973? You can almost hear the "whacka-whocka" early '70's guitar riffs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Laukarbo
09-11-2007, 02:35 AM
ha, how I love it to bring back old threads...

anyway,Lau jaam or anyone from the Lau Family, mentioned in the posts, has anything to do with the style or form Lau Gar Kuen...
We dont even have the form in our Hung curiliculum.
Lau Jaam learned choy Li Fut first and then became a student of Lam Sai Wing.
Gordon Liu/Lau Kar Fei learned partly from Lau Jaam and later from Lau Kar Leung..he was adopdet into the Lau Family when he started to get into the film business with LKL,thats also the time when LKL started to teach him personally..before Gordon learned at Lau Jaams gym....

PM
09-11-2007, 03:38 AM
yep, it confirms what i have heard about Lau Ga Kyun - no Lam Saiwing, Lau family and Lau Ga Kyun connection

al the best

CLFNole
09-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Anyone know who Lau Jaam learned CLF from? I have been trying to find this out for years.

Thanks.

Laukarbo
09-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Anyone know who Lau Jaam learned CLF from? I have been trying to find this out for years.

Thanks.

He learned first before becoming a student of Lam sai Wing from his uncle Liu Pao sheng ( dont know the cantonese name as while I write this a chinese friend translates this info from a chinese written article)CLF..but not the whole system. Healready went to HK by the age of 16 to work there and then became a student of LSW.

Pork Chop
09-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Talk about necro-post...

yah umm i was the first response...
man we were dumb back then. LOL
but the female situation's not too different.

the whole lau gar thing i'd actually heard in a kung fu school at some point; sorry if i was spreadin mis-info.

banditshaw
09-11-2007, 07:15 AM
From what I heard, The Lau Gar Kuen set is actually a Mok Gar set that Lam Jo learned from a friend with the surname Lau. That as well as the single ended staff set. Probably during the 1950's.

Peace.

BruceSteveRoy
09-11-2007, 07:48 AM
old thread is very old.

Laukarbo
09-11-2007, 08:41 AM
old or not it still didnt say the way it was...

anyway,CLF NOLE...the cantonese name was Lau bo sing

southernkf
09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Talk about necro-post...

yah umm i was the first response...
man we were dumb back then. LOL
but the female situation's not too different.

the whole lau gar thing i'd actually heard in a kung fu school at some point; sorry if i was spreadin mis-info.

LOL, then you probably like my signiture. LOL. I think we all are guilty of that.

southernkf
09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
From what I heard, The Lau Gar Kuen set is actually a Mok Gar set that Lam Jo learned from a friend with the surname Lau. That as well as the single ended staff set. Probably during the 1950's.

Peace.

THis may be accurate, but in my version I heard he created the set based on stuff he learned from his friend. Too bad we are too removed to simply ask the question to the correct person. Lots of these little ideas and conjecture are so easy to clarify. LOL.

For what it's worth, I have seen Mok Gar once and not sure how representiive it was. But I didn't see the flavor that I see in Lau Gar. To me, this form appears much more hung than the Mok I saw. As we know, many parts of the Lau Gar Kuen are compatible with or straight out of Gung Gee.

banditshaw
09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
THis may be accurate, but in my version I heard he created the set based on stuff he learned from his friend. Too bad we are too removed to simply ask the question to the correct person. Lots of these little ideas and conjecture are so easy to clarify. LOL.

For what it's worth, I have seen Mok Gar once and not sure how representiive it was. But I didn't see the flavor that I see in Lau Gar. To me, this form appears much more hung than the Mok I saw. As we know, many parts of the Lau Gar Kuen are compatible with or straight out of Gung Gee.

I definetly agree with that. Most likely the set was "Hung a fied" from the original.

PM
09-11-2007, 12:27 PM

i have asked, and i confirm what bandishaw wrote. today, it it is definitely Hung Kyun, not Mok ga. anyway, Mok ga is fmaous for its kicking techniques, most of the kicks in Hung Kyun come form Mok ga, and it is not coincidence that this relatively short set has most kicks of all Hung kyun sets (liu yam geuk, chaang geuk)

doug maverick
09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
illusion,

gordon liu (liu chia huey) received his training from his foster brother, liu chia liang.

liu chia liang was taught by his father liu chan si dai gung, who was a very renonwned hung gar player in hong kong.

liu chan was taught by the great lam tsai wing

liu chia liang was also a director of chinese hong kong movies at the time.

regards

actually gordon liu studied with lau kar leungs father with lau kar lung and his brother lau kar wing(awesome fights between kar wing and sammo hung in the odd couple) there actually not foster brothers just kung fu brothers gordon took the last name after he became the elder lau's disciple.

southernkf
09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
i have asked, and i confirm what bandishaw wrote. today, it it is definitely Hung Kyun, not Mok ga. anyway, Mok ga is fmaous for its kicking techniques, most of the kicks in Hung Kyun come form Mok ga, and it is not coincidence that this relatively short set has most kicks of all Hung kyun sets (liu yam geuk, chaang geuk)

Thanks for the confirmations. What do you mean when you say most of the kicks come from Mok Kar? Does this mean that Hung Gar had an early connection to Mok Gar like other arts like Lama Pai? Or do you mean Lam Jo's Hung Gar was heavily influenced by Mok Gar?

Thanks for you info!

Laukarbo
09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
actually gordon liu studied with lau kar leungs father with lau kar lung and his brother lau kar wing(awesome fights between kar wing and sammo hung in the odd couple) there actually not foster brothers just kung fu brothers gordon took the last name after he became the elder lau's disciple.
He took the name on because he followed LKL in the film business...this was suggestet by the mother of LKL.Before the mother already called him son cos she liked him so much...Kar Fei was also allowed to wear the traditional clothes ,thats normally only allowed to real family members, at her funeral...

The Xia
09-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Does he teach?

Laukarbo
09-11-2007, 05:17 PM
not really...occasionly but not as having a school and regular students.

doug maverick
09-11-2007, 05:44 PM
yea i heard that one too. but you know they always tell so many different stories i just went with the above because i heard it alot. but thanks

Laukarbo
09-11-2007, 06:57 PM
yea i heard that one too. but you know they always tell so many different stories i just went with the above because i heard it alot. but thanks

its just small details..:D
you are right about the many stories..since kar fei is my sibak and LKL my sigung
I see them once in a while so I just tell what they tell me...:D

I got from forum member PM a 8 pages strong chinese written article about Lau Jaam once we got this translated this will be published in the net...this is very interesting too...

PM
09-11-2007, 10:43 PM
i did not say that Lam Jou's gungfu is heavily influenced by Mok Ga.

Hung Kyun is influenced by Mok Ga since the time of Wong Feihung, as well as other southern systems - Choi Ga, Fat Ga, CLF...

all the best

southernkf
09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
i did not say that Lam Jou's gungfu is heavily influenced by Mok Ga.

Hung Kyun is influenced by Mok Ga since the time of Wong Feihung, as well as other southern systems - Choi Ga, Fat Ga, CLF...

all the best

Sorry, I was just clarifying. Hung Kuen has had a lot of influences over the years. I did not understand the Mok Gar influence. The only connection I was aware of was through the Lau Gar form, so I just wanted to clarify if this is what you meant, or if you meant the connection went further back. Thanks for the clarification.

The Xia
09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db9n00irEZM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCgXZJnhKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ka7XmuFmE