PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm shift

red5angel
11-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Ok, after some soul searching and some reflecting on my martial training so far I have had a huge paradigm shift. I attribute some of this to interaction here on this forum, there are some personalities on here that cant help but look at things logically ad from a realistic point of view and for them, you know who you are, I thank you.

Now on to an explanation. For some of you who know me, you know I have been pretty ferverent about studying wingchun. Before my wingchun I studied Karate, and while it was a fun experience it lacked something. I came across Wing Chun many years later and realized that the things I was looking for were contained in wing chun.

Mostly a realistic and effective way to defend myself. Also, sometimes we get into an art, of any sort, be it martial or otherwise, to do some soul searching, to challenge who we are and what it is we can get out of ourselves.
My path through wingchun helped me to figure out that while I was young, not only did I want to learn self defense, but I also wanted to compete. For a while I told myself that all I needed was wingchun.
I was fortunate to find what I consider to be one of the best wing chun instructors I have ever met. His skill is real and it is dangerous and that is what impressed me. TMA training has become for the most part watered down, not as tough or demanding as it seemed to use to be. Wing Chun is heading down that path, too many hobbyist are out their teaching as a hobby as well, not enough people who really desire it with all their being, the level of skill you can attain by following these arts.

So, I took a look at what I wanted, determined that for me it would be another path I had to go to get what I wanted, the skills to compete in competitions where I could challenge myself.

So I am currently leaving the world of TMA to pursue training in the world of mma. Not because TMA is less effective, or not as hard core as mma is. I said above that I had the luck to come across a man who had taken TMA and CMA to the level I believe it is supposed to be at to be as effective in the world today as it was in the past. however I need the intensity that an mma school can offer, atleast here locally, and the competitions that are often a part of the MMA world.
Ultimately, this whole experince has allowed me to see, what I believe to be the disparity between the way people see their training as being better then others. True TMA, trained properly and with spirit and passion can be a powerful thing on many levels. There are individuals out there proving that as we speak, or you read this. The same with MMA. There are big muscle bound idiots on both sides of the fence, and there are guys fooling themselves into thinking that they know what it is all about and have no worries, on both sides as well.

Anyway, I want to thank you guys that have helped me to make this transition and to help me recover my passion for training. Specifically, Merry Prankster, Yenhoi and Apoweyn, as well as those of you responding to my threads seeking some advice and help. Those of you with some quality attitudes, wushu chik, ewallace, sharky, and ton more who I am definitely not doing justice by at the moment, sorry if I missed you!

reneritchie
11-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Best of luck, dude. Just remember to always keep an open (yet skeptical) mind, and no doubt your past experiences will help you succeed with your future ones.

Train safe (injuries are the real enemy -- I'm rehabbing my third this year already, though I'm stupidly training through it), and perhaps one day I'll watch King of the Cage and get to post here - "r5a by Chung Choi... er... or armbar!"

RR

rubthebuddha
11-22-2002, 11:03 AM
royce will choke him out.

red5angel
11-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Renee, thanks, this journey is for me and me alone. It seems that my intentions have been taken out of context on thw WC forum already but no worries, I do what I do because I enjoy it. Anyway, I have always appreciated your post and responses, even though we may seldom agree on some things, disagreeing and discussion is part of the progression towards a better way.

Rub - I am gunning for him! you just wait man, Royce will be my beyotch...he doesnt read anything on this forum does he? In this case I am sorry Royce, I didnt mean it I just got caught up in the heat of the moment!!! please dont hurt me......

apoweyn
11-22-2002, 12:03 PM
no worries, red5angel. glad to help.

stuart b.

TheAardvark
11-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Enjoy yourself Jason. Hopefully you will still drop by occasionally and say hello or train with us. Best of luck.

red5angel
11-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey Gabe, I plan on it, although I sent an email to Michael and Carl and havent heard anything I think I might be getting the cold shoulder. hopefully they understand it isnt anythig personal, just something I have to do.

Cipher
11-22-2002, 01:17 PM
So why are you leaving the forums? You can still post like you have been. There are several MMA people that post here now.

red5angel
11-22-2002, 02:19 PM
Hey Cipher, not leaving the forums! I used another name for a while while I was doing research, and before I emailed my instructor to fill him in, I wanted to make sure I wanted to go this path.

Cipher
11-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Cool, that makes more sense. There a lot of good things to learn on the forums for any type of MA.

gnugear
11-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Good luck man!!

You know I'm always here to help you out!

red5angel
11-22-2002, 03:09 PM
gnugear - hell yeah brother and I am still going to make it out to Seattle to kick you older then my a$$, a$$ thing, or somethin...I guess I need to work on my intimidating talk.....

TjD
11-22-2002, 03:41 PM
when you get in the ring, make sure that you dont say your a wing chun man and make us all look bad :D

rubthebuddha
11-22-2002, 03:48 PM
and make carl look bad, either, else you will be HIS beyotch.

red5angel
11-22-2002, 03:55 PM
What are you trying to say TjD?! Anyway I dont pan on fighting under the banner of wingchun, just myself. I wont be making anyone look bad but myself! ;)

fa_jing
11-22-2002, 05:51 PM
Good luck, Redd! Protect your head, move around, move back sometimes. Sportfighting is very different from what you've been training and it's going to take a while to make all of the necessary adjustments. There are moves with the gloves that are the colloraries of 90% of the wingchun moves your do. It may take a while to figure out what is what. Check out a top JKD instructor for help. Competing is fun, but don't ever forget the danger factor. Don't underestimate your opponent. In the last full-contact tournament I was in, 4 out of 14 competitors had their fights stopped due to injury or TKO. It is a big thrill though and a personal challenge.

TjD
11-23-2002, 11:04 AM
i wasn't trying to say anything :) train hard and good luck