PDA

View Full Version : BIG NEWS - Maybe, sort of...

African Tiger
11-22-2002, 07:19 PM
Hey gang! I hope to God that I don't jinx myself by telling you so early, but I just got a call from my stunt partner. He's been working getting us in with a few of the lower-tier hong kong stunt guys, aaaaaaaaaaaaand

I JUST SCORED A 4 MONTH TRIP TO HONG KONG TO WORK ON AN ACTION FILM! PAID ROOM AND BOARD, BEING ABLE TO TRAIN IN SOME REAL KUNG FU, AND HOPEFULLY GET A CHANCE TO GO TO THE YELLOW DRAGON MONASTERY, WHERE MY STYLE ORIGINATED!!!! :D :D :D :cool:

Whew! I am SO not going to be able to sleep tonight! Thanks to all my friends on here who supported me.

And if anyone lives in HK or has traveled there recently, please let me know what's what about that place. I really want to study Mandarin while I'm there, and check out the nightlife.

kungfu cowboy
11-22-2002, 07:52 PM
Congratulations! That's awesome!:D

JOHNNY
11-22-2002, 07:58 PM
congrats and good luck.
Johnny
semper fi:D

African Tiger
11-22-2002, 08:20 PM
OOORAH, brotha! :cool:

Sho
11-23-2002, 03:16 AM
OMG! Congratulations dude! Study Cantonese instead! ;)

Sho
11-23-2002, 03:17 AM
By the way, when are you gonna go there?

African Tiger
11-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Looks like January 16th I'll be leaving. Don't know much more than that. I don't even know who the director is!

Is Cantonese easier? Do most chinese speak Cantonese as well as Mandarin? My friends who are chinese do, but my reason for learning Mandarin is to communicate and to be able to read characters (that's much later, of course).

friday
11-23-2002, 08:16 PM
AT,

hey congratulations sounds like its going to be fun!

cantonese is harder than mandarin to speak and the writing is also more difficult than the simplified form of chinese characters. more tones in cantonese vs mandarin.

most ppl in HK will speak cantonese. some will speak both. this is becoming more common.

tell us a bit more about your role later i'm expecting u to be a villain tho'. ;).

African Tiger
11-23-2002, 08:50 PM
Oh well...I will learn it by force, apparently.

My role... not quite sure. It has something to do with The Triads and an American CIA hit team - that's where your's truly comes in. I guess we go in to take down a Triad leader.

I will certainly let you all know either just before I leave, or when I get back.

friday
11-23-2002, 10:46 PM
hey thats great :)
means your a good guy.

btw what audience is this meant to target?

guohuen
11-24-2002, 10:31 AM
Yaaaaaay!!!:D

SevenStar
11-24-2002, 10:37 AM
congrats, dude!

I.M. Toast
11-24-2002, 01:07 PM
I am so jealous. Congratulations!

I.M.T.

Qi dup
11-24-2002, 01:30 PM
That's awsome man, have fun! Is the movie American made, or is it a HK flick?

TaiChiStorm
11-24-2002, 02:03 PM
HAVE FUN IN HK !!!! And don't forget to tell us when the action film is out !!!
Greets
TCS ;)

African Tiger
11-24-2002, 11:13 PM
Hey gang:

I promise to keep you informed on everything, and I'll post pics when I return.

Um, trying to answer questions: The film is a local production, so it most likely will be a straight to video in the US, with a Asian/European release.

Audience....ha! Total kung fu flick - only martial artists and those who wish they were (you know, Quentin Tarrantino, etc.).

IM - don't be jealous. This is a culmination of 10 years of hard work in this business, along with a lot of tears (metaphoric and real), blood, ass-kissing, and crappy relationships (both dating and friends)!

I'm hoping this will actually "make me" so I can stop doing b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. and extra work for a living.

I will certainly let you know the title and release date when possible. Perhaps I will even put together an actor's website, and post a few QuickTime videos from the film.

I'll still be on the board until like 10 January, so if anyone has anymore advice for me, please fork it over.
This is my first trip to Asia, and I'm a bit intimidated!

Budokan
11-25-2002, 12:27 AM
That is absolutely fantastic! Keep us up to date on how it goes, will ya?

Frank Exchange
11-25-2002, 05:07 AM
Mate, you will love HK, its not intimidating at all. Its the perfect fusion of East and West, IMO.

Since us Brits only left officially 6 years ago, all the signs and announcements are in English as well as Cantonese. The underground service (MTR) is fantastic, airconditioned. Everywhere is astoundingly clean, no graffitti. The food is astoundingly varied, very cheap, as is the beer. The markets sell fantastic things, very cheap deals on pretty much anything you want, but particularly any form of electronics.

The girls are... ouch. Dont even get me started. Its a really melting pot, you can meet girls from all over, HK, mainland, singapore, laos, thailand, filipines, malaysia. Absolutely gorgeous. :) The clubs, bars and nightlife are all excellent.

You will be in for a fantastic time. The guys over there work **** hard, but party hard too, its a real 24 hour city.

Have the best time! :)

FatherDog
11-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Heartfelt congrats, AT. It's great to see someone really getting a chance to live their dream.

ewallace
11-25-2002, 09:26 AM
That's outstanding bro. Might also be time to stash the stash for a while too...know what I mean?

guohuen
11-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Great minds.......................

norther practitioner
11-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Aumitabha, AT, thats freekin' dope as he1l. Hope it all works out, and you end up being like the next Yen Woo or something. Oh, and don't bring it with you.;)

African Tiger
11-25-2002, 12:14 PM
er, don't bring it with me? I assume you are talking about honeys. Strange, my very close female friend wants to come visit me while I'm there - chinese/thai mix, 5'7" 125lbs, 34D's (...has a boyfriend...:mad:). I'm afraid she'll keep me from scoring with the local honeys, so I may have to tell her no. :D

Well thanks for the compliment, but my skills are nowhere near as good as Yuen Wo Ping. I might achieve that in about 20 more years, if I eat my Wheaties and pray :D

And what's up with The Diabolical Biz Markie as an avatar? You obviously are as old as I, if you remember him....sheesh, were the 80's really 20 years ago??????

African Tiger
11-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Oh, and Frank Ex - thanks a ton for the advice. I really had no idea what to expect, since this is a foreign country to me.

Girls, cheap beer, and cheap electronics. What else can a brotha need?

Oh crap, wrong smilie in my first post.....:mad:

norther practitioner
11-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Maybe not as old (mid 20s), but I like the old school....a lot. I used to spin hip-hop, got into a lot of old school (Africa Bambatta, Grand Master Flash, Run DMC, Doug E. Fresh, Marley Marl, etc.) some cheesy stuff and some real hip hop thats current (Black Eyed Peas, Talib Kwali, Mos Def, J-5, etc.).

cogg
11-25-2002, 01:44 PM
congratulations dude. am totally jealous

African Tiger
11-25-2002, 08:28 PM
Northern - used to spin myself in the 80's. My thing was House Music, not this Techno-flavored crap most people are playing now. These new jacks have no idea.

It was refreshing to see Biz Markie on Fastlane a few episodes ago. Don't know if you caught that or not.

Cogg - thanks a bunch. But like I said earlier, you'd probably do the same if you went through what I went through to get there. I just thank God I'm still young enough to a) still do it, and b) ENJOY IT!!

And darn it, where is my little Wenny-poo? I thought for sure she'd congratulate me on my achievement!

TaoBoy
11-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Go super-freak!

This is great news, AT.