PDA

View Full Version : Ufc 40

SevenStar
11-23-2002, 08:55 AM
If you didn't catch it, you missed a good one. I think the best fight of the night was miller vs. weir - it had plenty of action and showed just what can happen when your opponent capitalizes on your mistake.

the liddel / babalu fight remained standing the majority of the time, and liddel ended up knocking babalu to the ground with a roundhouse to the head.

I won't get into the other fights, but the last on the card was tito/shamrock - shamrock lost from the beginning. He was putting anything behind his punched - titio dominated him from standing. shamrock spent more time on his back in that fight than he has in his entire career. tito kept him on his back and against the fence so that he could pound him. Ken's face looked like he'd been mauled, whereas tito hardly had a scratch. They both say that now that they've fought, their differences have been settled.

Liokault
11-23-2002, 09:51 AM
Is that Weir the UK TKD guy who got the fastest ever knock out in a UFC in london a while ago?

SevenStar
11-23-2002, 10:08 AM
yeah, that's him. he's got alot of grappling talent too. he should have won - he had miller in a triangle, but he couldn't sink it. Instead of pulliing down in his head and tightening his legs, he was holding miller's arm to stop him from punching. Eventually, miller just stood up and slammed weir's back into the mat and broke the traingle hold. The fight continued after that - it was a great match.

Weir's knockout of the other guy was in 8 seconds, I believe.

Martial Joe
11-23-2002, 10:18 AM
This is ****ing me off, I really need to get pay-per view.

SevenStar
11-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Dude, you're a billionaire now, right? screw pay per view - you can fly there and watch in person.

dezhen2001
11-23-2002, 10:42 AM
:D

SevenStar
11-23-2002, 11:09 AM
On a side note, one of the judges - jeff mullen - lives in my city and is a friend of mine. I've known him for years. He's the main reason that we have bjj and MMA here now.

Martial Joe
11-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Not yet Seven...the guy could be lying, who knows...but ill have to wait untill around march to find out.

FatherDog
11-23-2002, 12:13 PM
I thought that (with the exception of the main event) all the matches were energetic and fun to watch, but they were some serious mismatches. If two fighters are close to being evenly matched, the match shouldn't be over in the first round most of the time. With the exception of Miller vs. Weir, it was obvious after the first 30 seconds who was gonna win every bout.

The fighters still gave it a good effort; there was no stalling, and the fights were good; but mismatching is something the UFC has a serious problem with.

I also found out that my method for picking UFC winners has an almost 100% sucess rate. In order:

1) Pick the Russian
2) Pick the guy with the less stupid nickname
3) Pick the guy with the less stupid haircut
4) Pick the wrestler named 'Mark'

Unfortunately, I lost the betting pool because I didn't realize Weir wasn't a wrestler. :D

Liokault
11-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Ok so how does UFC work now?..... I watched the one that was held in the UK (I backed the UK guys all the way but was glad that Remedios guy lost as he iritates me) but apart from that have not followed it since the early days when you had to fight till you lost.

How do you get an over all winner now?...is there a weight class table?

SevenStar
11-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog
I thought that (with the exception of the main event) all the matches were energetic and fun to watch, but they were some serious mismatches. If two fighters are close to being evenly matched, the match shouldn't be over in the first round most of the time. With the exception of Miller vs. Weir, it was obvious after the first 30 seconds who was gonna win every bout.

The fighters still gave it a good effort; there was no stalling, and the fights were good; but mismatching is something the UFC has a serious problem with.

I also found out that my method for picking UFC winners has an almost 100% sucess rate. In order:

1) Pick the Russian
2) Pick the guy with the less stupid nickname
3) Pick the guy with the less stupid haircut
4) Pick the wrestler named 'Mark'

Unfortunately, I lost the betting pool because I didn't realize Weir wasn't a wrestler. :D

lol, I almost agree, but lidell's mohawk is pretty stupid, IMO. Also, the guy the russian was fighting (freeman, I think) looked good up until he got caught with that haymaker. Then the hooks and crosses overwhelmed him.

SevenStar
11-23-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
Ok so how does UFC work now?..... I watched the one that was held in the UK (I backed the UK guys all the way but was glad that Remedios guy lost as he iritates me) but apart from that have not followed it since the early days when you had to fight till you lost.

How do you get an over all winner now?...is there a weight class table?

There's a champ for each weight class.

SevenStar
11-23-2002, 02:31 PM
my favorite UFC knockout:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/sherdogsfightpics.cfm?matchId=251

he was unconscious before he hit the ground. it lasted 31 secs. I wich they had video of it.

FatherDog
11-23-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
lol, I almost agree, but lidell's mohawk is pretty stupid, IMO.

I agree, but nicknames take a higher priority than haircuts. And "Super Guy" is undoubtedly a stupid nickname. :D

friday
11-23-2002, 08:02 PM
hey

ken used to be really good in his time. whats the age gap between tito and ken?

LeeCasebolt
11-24-2002, 12:02 AM
Age gap's about 10-11 years. Ken's 38, Tito 27 IIRC.

Lee

SevenStar
11-24-2002, 12:27 AM
yeah, if this woulda happened when Ken was 28, the outcome probably woulda been different. But now he's way older and hasn't really been fighting, whereas tito has been actively fighting. That was a major factor in the Tyson/Lewis fight too. Tyson has been fighting suckas, whereas Lennox had been fighting higher caliber people.

Speaking of which, Tyson liked my city and the way he was treated here. He's gonna have his next fight here, he says.

friday
11-24-2002, 12:39 AM
thanks.

how old is frank shamrock? does he still fight anymore?

Volcano Admim
11-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Well, obviously none of you grow in tough neightborhood, rich and spoiled watch a satelite disk dad pays i know you do today, i dont know you rich trian martial art for have dad pay per view for you UFC

SevenStar
11-24-2002, 10:29 PM
maybe you need to move to a rich neighborhood so you can go to a school that can teach you grammar and how to type.

:rolleyes:

wtf does me living in a city with the one of the highest crime rates in the country have to do with UFC 40? ignant....

omegapoint
11-25-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
maybe you need to move to a rich neighborhood so you can go to a school that can teach you grammar and how to type.

:rolleyes:

wtf does me living in a city with the one of the highest crime rates in the country have to do with UFC 40? ignant....

Haha, no doubt bruh! WTF was homey trying to say? Uhh, he lists his MA as Feng Shui Zhuan. Job= Secret Administrator. There you have it. Methinks, me smells a TROLL!

NONETOOSWIFTNESS abounds 7*! People were always and will always be estupido!

FatherDog
11-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by omegapoint
Uhh, he lists his MA as Feng Shui Zhuan.

Is that the art of hitting people with correctly arranged furniture?

http://www.angryflower.com/fungsh.gif

OneStrike
11-26-2002, 07:03 AM
"Also, the guy the russian was fighting (freeman, I think) looked good up until he got caught with that haymaker. Then the hooks and crosses overwhelmed him."

Actually, Ian Freeman got an accidental thumb in the eye from the clinch, and after that he couldn't see what was coming at him, hence the appearance of being overwhelmed. Freeman is a class act - he didn't complain about it at all. Apparently he's going to drop down a division to LHW, where he'll no doubt do brilliantly.

Not to take anything away from Orlovski, but under the circumstances we really didn't get a chance to see Freeman throw down.

SanSoo Student
11-26-2002, 08:42 AM
RUSSIANS ARE TOOO STRONG!!!
:mad: :mad:

Ford Prefect
11-26-2002, 08:51 AM
I have to say that I've underestimated Tito. I thought Ken would whip him. I thought Vitor would have if they fought. Etc. I have to say that I can't ignore it anymore. Tito is a **** good fighter. Probably the best in his weight division. I'd love to see a rematch with Silva, but I've gotta say that I think Tito would maul him too.

SevenStar
11-26-2002, 10:51 AM
I dunno about that one...

Xebsball
11-26-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I'd love to see a rematch with Silva, but I've gotta say that I think Tito would maul him too.

No way son, Silva would crush that sucka.

ewallace
11-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Just in case you don't know, Volcano Admim is the best troll we've ever had on KFO.

KC Elbows
11-26-2002, 01:26 PM
eWallace is correct. Replace all of the satellite dish comments in that post, and you'd have another post he did about martial arts. It's a form.

However, he shares top troll billing with 'Iron Kim' who once posted a thread in which a couple of us argued with him for countless pages before it became clear he was a regular poster trolling.

Back to the ufc.

ewallace
11-26-2002, 01:33 PM
KC, check my best man thread please, since you are a writer.

</threadjack> /* Sorry Sevenstar :) */

Ford Prefect
11-26-2002, 01:33 PM
Hey Seven and Xes. I hope we have the chance to find out!

Xebsball
11-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Fo sure :D