PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum Tournament 2000!

meltdawn
07-02-2000, 03:36 AM
This was terrific!!!

Lilly Lau, Gini Lau, Henry Poo Ye, Frank Yee, Shaolin Monks, CC Chen,Zhang Bing Dao, Bredan Lai, Gigi Oh, the list goes on! It was a great competition and a wonderful event. The Master's exhibition started late, ran a little awkward, but the perfomances were all spectacular. I have never seen so much GOOD taiji!

I have a question though. Since there are few competitions around the US, I haven't had much chance to see what women's forms competition looks like. I was a little disappointed. I saw six women compete at advanced level, and none of them put any power in thier forms. The wushu women were spectacular, but the short hand forms were unimpressive. Did I just catch a bad turnout for this division, or is this common? I'm definitely a novice, but I was itching to get in that square and do some damage!!

No insults are intended by this post, it was just not what I expected so I'd like some input.

07-02-2000, 05:07 AM
Meltdawn who won the southern teen girls forms competition? I had a friend compete im curious as to how she did. Also can you please go into some more detail on the Masters demo? Thanks.

Constipated Wombat
07-03-2000, 07:05 PM
Heya "Dawn"

I've seen this same problem before, tho not just with women. When I was studying with Lily Lau, I used to wonder why I was sweating so much more than the rest of my classmates, until I realized that a great many of them were just walking though their forms with no focus, speed, or power. One wonders what benefit, if any, they derived from their form work, especially since many didn't much care for the self-defense or sparring.

Hasta,
Brian

manfukuen
07-04-2000, 12:46 AM
I ALSO COMPETED IN THE WAH LUM TORNAMENT, AND DID WELL AS DID MY SCHOOL. THE WOMENS COMPETITION WAS REALLY GOOD. THE SHAOLIN MONKS WERE INCREDEBILE AS ALWAYS. THE ONLY THING I FOUND FUNNY WAS THAT THE MONKS ONLY APPLAUDED FOR THEMSELVES. THE NEVER APPALUADED FOR OTHERS.

meltdawn
07-04-2000, 06:11 AM
D -
I'm not sure about the girl's competition, but Kung Fu/Wushu magazine was there so I believe they'll post results soon. Otherwise, try Wah Lum's website.

Brian!
I agree that many PEOPLE, not just girls do this. I guess if I took the percentages into perspective, I'd see it's not exclusively a female issue.

Manfu-
What was your school? In what divisions did you compete? I loved all the broadsword forms and the Wah Lum school had an incredible showing! A school as strong as Chan Pui's is quite impressive.

The monks were awesome, and we did notice they mainly applauded for themselves. Then again, the wushu teams only applauded for their team members too. I did watch the monks closely observe the guys from the HK CMA team and their Monkey exhibition. They did applaud for them, maybe because they were fellow exhibitors. Also, they DID applaud the Taiji masters.

manfukuen
07-05-2000, 12:28 AM
I STUDY HUNG-GA. MASTER FRANK YEE IS MY SIGUNG. I COMPETED IN SOUTHERN HAND FORMS AND SPARRRING.

meltdawn
07-05-2000, 07:58 AM
Manfu -

Awesome! I was happy to see Frank Yee. Heck, I was impressed just watching the kid's do forms!

I'm sorry I didn't get to stay for Sunday and see the fighting. I spent oo much money in one day to get a hotel, lol. How did you do?

mantis boxer
07-07-2000, 05:02 AM
Who won the 4 star competition? Was it a student of Chan Poi?

TongLongPai
07-09-2000, 02:21 AM
Hello,

I too was at the tournie 2000. It was a really good tournament!!! A lot of stuff to buy, but the best of all was all the Great Kung Fu and Masters.
But there was this little kid (he looked 6 or 7years at the most) he was wearing a blue silk uniform with a white spade in the collar. His mantis boxing was to die for!!!
His stances were perfect! I think I envy him! HEHEHE! Out of everyone there, my Favorite competitor was Sifu Mike Martello. He competed in the mens Praying mantis and weapons division. He came in second, but he was only one point away from Gold. Some judges are biast. HeHe.

Hoped everyone enjoyed themselves!!!

------------------
Omitoufo,
TLP

LeeKoonHung ChoyLayFut
07-26-2000, 03:15 AM
We are happy to say one of our team (Joe Keit) won the traditional men's Grand Champion. It was tough, alot of good competition including a monk from Shaolin. All the competitors were great as well as all the Masters! Congratulations to all!

bong
07-26-2000, 04:59 AM
Were there any Southern Mantis folks in the competiton?
How did they do?
I was out of the country and could not attend.http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/icons/icon9.gif

mantis boxer
07-26-2000, 05:40 AM
Wow I'm very surprised that a student of Chan Poi didn't win the 4 star. I thought politics would fix the outcome of that. Joe Keit must have done a hell of a job!

LeeKoonHung ChoyLayFut
07-26-2000, 06:14 AM
He did a great job! We were surprised the Shaolin monk didn't win.

SwiftKill
07-26-2000, 07:36 AM
Joe Keith did performed very well but his sifu was cheif judge in a division that Joe Keith was also competing in and that from what I have heard should not have been allowed.

NorthernMantis
07-26-2000, 10:21 PM
I'm a kung fu cousin of the student that you're talking about.His name is Fu.I don't know his last name though.He is part of a wah lum school in maryland.

[This message has been edited by NorthernMantis (edited 07-27-2000).]

mantisclaws
07-26-2000, 10:41 PM
This tournament was ok, but the masters exhibition was a joke! The actual masters were great, but there was these stupid comedy routines that took way too long! There were many masters who did not perform because of time! That was not very polite to the many masters who came from far.

Also I saw so many chop suey styles there, I think that traditional kung fu will be on the endangered species list soon.

The guy who won Grand Champion Joe Keith, I saw him compete he was real good. His sifu might have judged one of his divisions, but he competed in 5 to 6 events. The grand championship had 6 judges, and they all were grandmasters of different styles. Its not easy to impress them.

I was glad he beat the monk, because they did only clap for themselves. They thought they were so great. They were competing too. But none of them sparred!

meltdawn
07-28-2000, 12:23 AM
Wow, Mantis, tell us what you REALLY feel, lol!

I thought the comedy routines were misplaced in a Master's exhibiton, also. I thought that some of the masters declined to perform because of a long day judging, at least that was what I heard.

I don't keep up with the tourney scene, so I don't know the guys' names, but I saw a guy doing some drunken stuff who was awesome. He was Asian, looked about 18, wearing black. There was another guy in a white and black shirt doing ditang chuan, I was awestruck! Then there was an Asian lady in pink who did a magnificent staff form, but wasn't called up in the placings, and promptly left. Then there was a kid in a gold shirt with matching hair doing 3-sectional staff. I watched him in warm-up, and thought he was great. But he did too much prior and geeked in competition, I was sorry for him.

I grew tired of so much mantis (no dishonor intended) but enjoyed watching all 2,000 competitors in the broadsword division. I also loved the wushu, since it's rare I get to see it. Those guys are amazing athletes. And there was a lady in red doing taiji who was also breathtaking.

The taiji masters were incredible. I gained so much insight from watching them. And I loved the monks! Their attitude outside their performance was not to be desired, but their skill is fantastic.

I hope to go next year, and maybe even compete. I heard quite a few people saying they'd like to see lung ying...

kungfulover
07-28-2000, 11:36 AM
The actual masters were wonderful.
I was very happy to watch the HK term,especailly how the great master perform the monkey style. The HK term was Tai Sing Pap Kar master was it? and Grandmaster Chan Sau Chung was there was he?

Those form that HK term perform was like very old traditional chinese kung fu. Did anyone take photo with them?? Does anyone have their photo?? I would like to take a look.

I didnt like the "star war show" performing
at the middle and at the end of exhibition. It was not kung fu at all. I was wondering how come they were doing this show for.

mantisclaws
07-30-2000, 07:41 PM
I wish the Monkey team performed more, I hear there style Tai Sing Pap Gar Moon has some really good weapon forms, too bad they couldn't perform longer.

kungfulover
07-31-2000, 09:35 PM
hi Mantisclaws,
Check up with the following website http://www.chinesekungfuonline.com
They do have many cool weapon forms.
Does anyone know when we can see Tai Sing Pap Kar term again??

mantisclaws
07-31-2000, 10:37 PM
Thanks Kungfulover!

There sight is awesome everybody should check it out, although it's not quite finished. It gives alot of insight into its members and history. If anyone knows when and where they will be I hope they will post it.

-Peace

Sow Choy
08-02-2000, 02:07 AM
Grandmaster Chan Sau Chung and his team came to vist my Sifu, Master Li Siu Hung at our school and they performed many forms and weapons, and we performed for them too. We spent the weekend showing them around South Florida, they loved it here. I don't know when they will return, but they are very friendly and a few of them speak english. If you are in Hong Kong look them up.

Lizardking
08-10-2000, 01:05 AM
I had problems with the tournament. Many times the judges were looking elsewhere while the competition was going on. Other competitors forgot their two man sets (TWICE!) and they scored higher than us. Other kids dropped their weapons and they scored higher than our kids. I saw a lot of showy techniques, but little emphasis on power. It was my first tournament and I wasn't impressed with the judging. I don't know if I am going to spend the money to go back or not. It was neat to see all of these martial artists there, but not when then all did the same flips, kip ups, etc. that made them indistinguishable from each other. The Teenagers impressed me the most with their ability and skill. I guess I'm not a tournament person.

mantis boxer
08-11-2000, 07:34 AM
The tournament scene is sometimes a joke. It's hard enough to find a good sifu these days. Where do these guys get their judges anyways? Unqualified sifus? That's where things go wrong. Also politics play a large role. LOok at the tat mau wong tournamnet in 1997. His daughter won the 4 star female championships even though I heard she continually used her face as a shield in the sparring division. hehe The tournamnet organizer has to give an X number of trophies to every school because if they didn't, then the school won't come back. Also if you don't give trophies to a school then you're messing with the school's sifu. If I threw a tournament and you sent 20 students to compete and none of them won , wouldn't you be mad at me? That's tournaments for you.