PDA

View Full Version : The huge philosophy of Tai Chi Chuan

TaiChiStorm
11-24-2002, 02:39 PM
I bought a new book on Tai Chi Chuan. I was absolutely impressed by the first chapter: "Tai Chi and Dao"
I am doing Yang style for about four years now and I didn't know that really EVERYTHING is besed on the taoist's philosophies: Pagua, I Ging ,Yin Yang etc.
I knew that it would have something to do with it, especially the Yin Yang aspect must be clear. But when you look at the connection to the I Ging for example you realize that every single step you take in the long form is "in harmony with universe".
The different directions....your breath....your body position.......everything is somehow in favour with the philosophy!!
I can't believe how much work it was to create such an "ultimate form"......

count
11-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Function before form, form before theory, theory before philosophy. You wouldn't appreciate the book without knowing Tai Chi.

MaFuYee
11-24-2002, 10:46 PM
it's not "the philosophy of tai chi chuan".

it's called "TAOISM".

one does not need to be a taoist to practice tai chi. - evidence: millions of buddhists and christians practice it regularly.

you need absolutely no knowledge of taoism to fully understand tai chi. - beware of books that profess the whole 'harmony with the universe' nonsense, lest you end up prancing around in silk pj's and singing about lesbian seagulls.

forget about BOOKS on tai chi, and just do it.

TaiChiStorm
11-25-2002, 03:04 AM
Function before form, form before theory, theory before philosophy

I like this line!!! There are quite a lot teachers who teach the other way around, which is absolutely wrong!!

you need absolutely no knowledge of taoism to fully understand tai chi. - beware of books that profess the whole 'harmony with the universe' nonsense, lest you end up prancing around in silk pj's and singing about lesbian seagulls.

It is true that there is a lot of crab on Tai Chi on the market!! There are many practioners who read tons of books on Tai Chi, forgetting to go out and DO the things they "learned". This is a kind of trab!!
But I just wanted to say that THERE IS a lot behind the thing we do!! I mean other MAs are just pure fighting arts, without any background!!

greets
TCS

Repulsive Monkey
11-25-2002, 05:51 AM
What is this book? Who is it by?

TaiChiBob
11-25-2002, 06:02 AM
Greetings..

We can each paint Tai Chi our favorite colors, we can reduce it to "just a fighting art", just a philosophy, just a meditation, etc.. but, in reality it is all that and more.. It is human nature to find one's level of comfort and then rationalize that position.. If you really want to explore the depths and potentials of Tai Chi then i suggest that you train, read, meditate, seek experiences from as many experienced players and masters as you can and balance the art with direct experience..

To focus on only one aspect of the Art is unbalanced in the face of its history and lineage.. To belabor the point is equally unbalanced.. People will do what people do.. and, doing is what manifests the philosophy, the theory and the training.. you know, "do be do be do"...

Be well...

count
11-25-2002, 07:37 AM
An excellent kung fu teacher and writer who inspired me in the first place with his writing was Adam Hsu. I once asked him what would be good books to read on CMA? He only said, "Go to the mountain".

Unfortunately Adam only sees fit to publish in Chinese now-a-days. :mad: But if you want an excellent read that covers both the philosophical and the mechanical aspects of Tai Chi Chuan, pick up "The Invisible Web" by Dr. Su Yu Chang. You can probably find it through his web site (http://www2.micro-net.com/~ycsu/mastersu.html). It has been translated from Chinese to Spanish to English but still holds some valuable keys.