PDA

View Full Version : Chen Tai Chi: combat effectiveness

little mantis
11-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Hi. I was wondering about the combat effectiveness of tai chi (chen). I have availiable in my area (from the same sifu) two systems, Seven Star Praying Mantis, and Chen Tai Chi. I have read a lot about both, but i have difficulty finding much about combat in Tai Chi. Knowing myself the way i do, i can benefit from both, but i would like to know which of those suits me best, i want to pick one, and stick with that ONLY one. Also, how does the grading system for tai chi work? Thanks in advance.

count
11-25-2002, 07:49 AM
And welcome to the forums. I can't tell you what's correct for you but I will tell you based on my own path. Both are effective if taught correctly and practiced hard. Start with Mantis and than later learn Chen Tai Chi Chuan. Mantis will give you some immediate fighting skills, good strength and spirit. Later you can mold your power with Tai Chi. There is no grading system in these systems unless invented by the instructor so grade yourself. You can measure your grade in sweat and time. Have fun and good luck with your choice.;)

little mantis
11-25-2002, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've read that it's true that PM (especially 7* PM) iwas created for combat effectivenss in a relatively short time, however Chen Tai Chi is good for "focusing" something i really need for college. However i don't want to find myself studying a martial art that i can't use to defend myself. I read also that to have a martial skill in Tai Chi it would take around ten years. Could this be true? I think two years would be enough, though it would be like you said. Depends on how hard you train and time. I will check it out. Thanks]

count
11-25-2002, 08:30 AM
I think you answered your own question. Like my teacher said just the other day. "It takes ten years to boil a pot of water if you keep the flame low and keep taking the pot of the stove". Both are good for combat.;)

HuangKaiVun
11-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Don't ask us, littlemantis.

Ask the teacher.

wingchunner
11-27-2002, 09:20 AM
...is very effective. You must find a good teacher, though.

Good luck.

Marty

Tsuei
12-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Personnally I would go for both. If, as you say, they are taught by the same teacher. I think you would find that the important stuff, foundations etc., are basically the same... Or to put it another way- If this guy teaches both he would be aware of similarities and teach in such a way that YOU can see the many overlaps... if the teacher is good you will be very surprised in how quickly you advance and how the arts relate

scotty1
12-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Read "Applied Tai Chi Chuan" by Nigel Sutton.

It is written about Cheng Man Ching style, and will leave you in no doubt as to combat effectiveness or the length of time it takes (3 to 4 years).

netfreak
12-24-2002, 01:18 PM
Thanks scotty and tsuei. I got a brand new job and now my only two days allow me to take the following combo:
two chen tai chi class and one kickboxing,
one tai chi (chen) one kickboxing and one mantis.
the classes are three per week, any additional classes (which i'm likely to take) are just five dollars per class. let me know what you think. and thanks for viewing the thread.:)

cha kuen
12-24-2002, 09:53 PM
They are both great styles, but who's teaching them? That will probably make the difference.

My advice is go learn the tai chi because there are many 2 people in the States that are good at 7 star.

**kung fu books** (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

scotty1
12-25-2002, 05:48 PM
My mistake, that book is about Cheng man Ching style. But still...

netfreak
12-26-2002, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I will keep all of it in mind. Good luck with all your training.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
12-27-2002, 06:13 AM
Only you can decide which style is best for you. And as far as a ranking system goes, Tai Chi Chuan takes a lifetime so I would not worry about it right now. Maybe in the next life we could all discuss it. Hope this helps - have a Happy New Year.

Shadowkick108
01-15-2003, 10:21 PM
I agree with the other posts, when I started my training I took Shaolin Kung-Fu first to learn the basic fighting skills and once I became advanced in it, I started focusing on Chen Style Taiji. Once you have a basic understanding of applications in combat, you will realize that almost everything in the Chen Taiji forms can be used for fighting whether it be hand strikes, kick defenses, throws and even the ever popular destruction cycles. I am not sure about other school's ranking systems but my school has four sashes, Gold, Blue, Red, Black. I hope you become interested in Taiji, it has definitely helped me in fighting,energy and given me a new perspective to fighting. Good luck!

patriot
01-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Just read a Chinese article on the net by Dan Gere about an incidence at San Jose on Chen Qingzhou's first visit to the US in 1994. According to the article, he was challenged by a group of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Jujitsu people. It took him about 2 hrs to dispatch more than 60 challengers. Chen was 60 years old at the time.
Anyone else know of this incidence?

Brad
01-21-2003, 08:25 PM
If that's true... **** :eek: