PDA

View Full Version : randy williams correpondese couses

russellsherry
11-25-2002, 04:17 PM
dear iron fist its true you cant learn from a video but if you have abackground in wing chun they are useful what i am against
are wing chun by correspondence course how can you check chi sau and dummy ete but one sifu has them in the usa up to third
level russ sherry oh and randys one of the best wing chun people
around go to a close range combat schiil find out

yuanfen
11-25-2002, 05:47 PM
russellsherry:
Videos are not useful IMO absent hands on instruction. With the latter, videos can serves as notes, if you know what to look for perhaps. I didnt and dont learn from videos.
But not everyone is fortunate with respect to location and access to hands on instruction.
But the flying seminars have their drawbacks too. Infrequent corrections and the development of bad habits.
Correspondence like good internet conversations between individuals (not lists particularly) can deal with theories and concepts provided it is supplemented with some travel to the source for corrections.Provided is the key word. Much depends on frequency and quality of hands on work and the details of the instruction IMO> Also a top flight video may give a bright person ideas that he wouldnt get froma nearby bad or robotic instructor either. The catch is knowing how to distinguish appearance from content- an old problem in learning.
Thus one can learn somethings more from old grainy fight films
like Bob Fitzimmon's solar plexus punch than watching Butterbean in living color. Tyson for instance when he was getting his foundations watched many old grainy films with Joe Jacobs again and again. Homework.

But if someone hasa superb southern mantis instructor available nearby versus learning by video or whatever, I say- learn mantis
or clf, or chen syle or jujutsu...or if Emmanuel Seward is willing to show you how to put up your dukes- go for it. Videos and other things are like notes for missed classes- too many of the latter-
you lose.

anerlich
11-25-2002, 07:21 PM
I don't think Wing Chun lends itself particularly well to video learning. Too fast, too subtle

OTOH I think grappling styles lend themselves very well to video instruction., especially if you learn visually.

I've also found Scott Sonnon's ROSS videos to be very good.

But no video replaces regular training under a good teacher.

yuanfen
11-25-2002, 08:09 PM
Ip Man IMO seemed to have the right idea. No books, no videos- still resulting in an uneven legacy among students.

But since then the problem is compounded by the exporting of wing chun and the migration and mobility of students .
So teaching methods have become even more diversified...with people flying to different places to give or take seminars....making quality control even more difficult to maintain and the future uncertain.

Anerlich I think is correct- the micro motions of wing chun are more difficult to catch in film , video or even books compared to
some other activities.

tparkerkfo
11-25-2002, 08:19 PM
I think it depends on what one wants to learn. Andrew was close in suggesting some arts are better for video than others. SOME things can be put into video format. I have tons of videos. But unfortunatly the most important things can not be taught via vides. Sensitity, Power,Sticky, and perciscion. And without these, what have you got? I am sure Grappling arts also have subtlties that are difficult to see on vids, too.

Tom
________
New mexico medical marijuana dispensary (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

Grendel
11-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by tparkerkfo
I think it depends on what one wants to learn.

Depends on what one wants to learn? How about Wing Chun for a starter?

Andrew was close in suggesting some arts are better for video than others.

Cinema converts well to video. You mean that kind of art? Otherwise, no, not ever. :rolleyes:

SOME things can be put into video format. I have tons of videos.

Me too. I'm collecting the old 50s Sci-Fi works on DVD. Have you got "Invasion from Mars"?

But unfortunatly the most important things can not be taught via vides. Sensitity, Power,Sticky, and perciscion. And without these, what have you got?

Typical unqualified Wing Chun crapulence due to the abundance of McDojo schools. If you start with crap, putting it on video doesn't improve it.

I am sure Grappling arts also have subtlties that are difficult to see on vids, too.

I hate subtitles on videos, but if he's got a speech impediment, you gotta do what you've gotta do. :D Subtleties, on the other hand, are hard to portray in video or in writing.

Cheers,