PDA

View Full Version : Dit Da Jow Application

Tai-Jutsuka
11-25-2002, 04:21 PM
What is best used to apply jow to...well wherever you want to put it?

Repulsive Monkey
11-26-2002, 05:33 AM
You can apply it with your fingers in a circling fashion clockwise to tonify the condition or anti-clockwise to reduce and sedate the situation i.e. reducing pain inflammation swelling etc. Naturally the herbal content of the Jow should be sufficient but I do this and boost the Qi issued whilst applying it. This is a basic Medical Qi gong method that I use.

TenTigers
12-05-2002, 08:56 PM
put it in a dish, heat it up and soak a cotton ball and first apply it to the affected area. Use alot, do not be stingy. After applying it for a few minutes, rub the bruise from the center in clockwise circles-hard, eventually moving out. The bruise must be broken up, and spread out so it can be absorbed. Rub for about 5 minutes-yeah it hurts-hurt it back! keep applying jow so the skin is wet, you don't want skin friction, you want your thumb to rub into the area. then slap the wound so the skin comes up red (new blood) and gently stroke in the direction of the heart. The bruise should go from yellow/green (stagnated dead blood) to red(fresh blood) it will then dissipate in a day or so. You can re-apply it if you wish. Do not apply ice, as it will set it deep into the tissue.

yu shan
12-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Very good advice from TenTigers and Rep. Monkey! Try the application using Ginger Root. Of course shave the outer skin off the root, and rub like previously mentioned. Neet trick I learned in Taiwan.

Gotta question about the whole "ice" thing.

The Asians think differant from us on "ice therapy". What are your thoughts? This is in comparison to Massage Therapy etc. or the whole Western way of looking at bruising and injuries.

TaoBoy
12-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
You can apply it with your fingers in a circling fashion clockwise to tonify the condition or anti-clockwise to reduce and sedate the situation i.e. reducing pain inflammation swelling etc. Naturally the herbal content of the Jow should be sufficient but I do this and boost the Qi issued whilst applying it. This is a basic Medical Qi gong method that I use.

Hi RM,

Can you please explain the reason for direction of rubbing? I understand tonifying/reducing massage along meridians but have not heard of the method you metioned.

Cheers, Adam.

fiercest tiger
12-14-2002, 04:10 AM
Does anyone of you guys used a herbal wash and towel compress? Some real bad injuries shouldnt be massaged but i have used this method of washing the area and adding heat towels etc.

FT

phantom
12-16-2002, 05:12 PM
What do you guys think is the best way to heat the jow? Some people claim that just merely increasing the friction of how hard you rub it will heat it well enough. Others claims that running the bottle of jow under hot water will heat it well enough. Also, breifly heating it in a microwave or toaster oven. I have also heard of boiling it, but I do not think that it would be a good idea to boil alcohol, since it is flammable. Are these good ways to heat it? If not, what are some good ways? Also, how long should you heat it? Thanks in advance. Also, I do not know about the heat towels, but I have read that heating pads are not a good idea to use on a bruise.

fiercest tiger
12-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Depending on the injury you could use hot or cold, this is what the teacher must examine before he uses the Dit Da medicine. Western use ice treatment 1st to stop the bleeding and then 72 hrs later heat. You can use cold medicine as well from chinese, not ice cold just normal temp.

The herbal compress i have is also good for after a massage and rejuvinates the skin and makes you feel relaxed even more.

FT:)

Serpent
12-22-2002, 10:07 PM
The way I deal with it is ice for the first 24-48 hours or so, then heat and Jow. Rubbing the jow, massaging it in by hand, is enough to heat it for me, then a heat pack/hot water bottle/etc. a little while afterwards, after the skin has naturally dried.

You can also mix a bit of east and west and rub on Deep Heat or somthing similar first, to open the pores, then use Jow. Personally I don't use this method, but I know some people that do.

Also, I was always taught to finish massaging a bruise away from the heart. Any comments on that?