PDA

View Full Version : How heavy is YOUR heavy bag???

Royal Dragon
11-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Mine is going to be AT least 420 lbs. I have that much metal saw dust from work saved up so far. It's in a bunch of army surpluss duffle bags. It takes 6 to fill my punching bag, and I have 4 1/2 bags so far weighing 90-100 pounds each. Another bag and a half, and I should have close to 550 pounds, "Maybe" as much as 600.

What do you guys think?? Could you put a bag THIS heavy to work?

SifuAbel
11-25-2002, 07:31 PM
OH!,For the love of pete, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will not work. You will injure yourself.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SevenStar
11-25-2002, 07:33 PM
yeah, I agree. That wouldn't be smart.

dnc101
11-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
... metal saw dust ... close to 550 pounds, "Maybe" as much as 600. What do you guys think?? Could you put a bag THIS heavy to work?

Dang RD, I'm not sure I'd want to. Metal saw dust- sounds brutal! And, just wait 'till the cutting oil leaches out to be replaced by moisture! That thing's gonna fuse together into one solid mass that can definately take a hit. By the way, how're ya planning to keep the cutting oil from soaking the bag?

My first heavy bag was a sea bag stuffed with an old mattress off a foldaway bed. It was a b!tch to get in there, but it worked (sort'a). Now I have a Century 50 pounder. Pretty puny next to yours, but size isn't everything, right?

Oh, and some advice: if your roof starts to swale, drop the bag!!!!!!!!

Royal Dragon
11-25-2002, 07:52 PM
We don't use a cutting oil, it's more like an automotive anti freez than a cutting oil. Once dry, it's like sand, only MUCH heavier!!!

I figure it was free to collect it and take it home (been doing this for almost 4 years now), and there has GOT to be some sort of extreme Kung Fu usage I can do with it. At the very least I will have the bragging rights to the heaviest bag in town.

I'm actually thinking of useing it to test my mechanics for side kicks. If I can make THAT sucker fly, just imagine what's going to happen if I hit a human??? :eek:

Arhat of Fury
11-25-2002, 07:54 PM
Just curious here, why would you want a bag that heavy?

dnc101
11-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
there has GOT to be some sort of extreme Kung Fu usage I can do with it.

For some reason, IRON PALM comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Royal Dragon
11-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Arhat of Fury
Because it takes the same effort to put the Iron sawdust a canvas duffle bag as it does to throw it out.

Basically, it's one of those things that is getting done because it can easily be done and really for no practical reason other than the age old "Mine is bigger than yours!!!" :D

WinterPalm
11-25-2002, 09:16 PM
:eek:
That sounds like an amazing bag! I am truly envious of you!

Water Dragon
11-25-2002, 09:21 PM
RD,
I'd advise against it, but if you're gonna do it let me know. I'd love to video tape your first workout with it.

Qi dup
11-25-2002, 09:25 PM
I'd probably just make six 100 pound bags. But hey, have fun!

IronFist
11-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Work on lifting it. If you can lift a 550lb bag no one will **** with you. Deadlifting 550lbs is hard enough. Picking up a thick bag filled with stuff that weighs that much would be that much harder.

Don't make a bag that heavy. I tried to fill a Thai bag with sand once when I didn't know what heavy bags were filled with and after 450lbs of sand and it wasn't even half way full I decided there was probably a better way.

IronFist

SevenStar
11-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I like Ironfist's idea. pick it up. Do grappling and throwing drills with it. If you're gonna hit it, you may as well hit a tree, and we know the dangers in that...

SevenStar
11-25-2002, 10:06 PM
As for your question, I have a 70 pounder. When I was in muay thai, we had a 200 pounder.

Just do some weight training, work your mechanics and hit a regular heavy bag and you should be fine. Look at pro fighters - they don't have to hit 500 lb bags to knock someone out. I've broken someone's ribs with a roundhouse, and the heaviest bag I've ever used is 200.

cha kuen
11-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Mine is 150 pounds.

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Royal Dragon
11-26-2002, 05:36 AM
"Just do some weight training, work your mechanics and hit a regular heavy bag and you should be fine. Look at pro fighters - they don't have to hit 500 lb bags to knock someone out. I've broken someone's ribs with a roundhouse, and the heaviest bag I've ever used is 200."

Reply]
George Forman used to train by hitting 500 pound sides of beef, now he has his own grill on the market!!! :D

As for the grappeling drills, that may be a good way to use it too, I hadn't thought of that. I'd have to work up to it though, and I'm not sure a spine with two herniated disks will ever be able to do it.

WD,
When I get it set up, you'll be the first to know.

I am thinking of wraping it in a peice of wrestling mat though It looks like it's going to be harder than I originally thought.

The bags I use now, are 80 LBS and smaller, and they are fine for me. All I really do is fire off combinations from the forms on them anyway. Some times I just drill single strikes, but adjust my mechanics for maximum penatration, rather than go hog wild with it. I think that's better than busting all out everytime.

I suspect the "Super Bag" will see little use, and then only for practicing "Blast through" kind of kicks.

I'm going to have to use a "come along" to get it up as it is.

OneStrike
11-26-2002, 06:49 AM
Mine's about 170lbs.

Your heavy bag is going to be bigger than Bob Sapp.
:eek:

Former castleva
11-26-2002, 11:58 AM
I think average weight is about 300g. ;)
Mine is about 50kg I think.
It will be more lively kind of tool if it is not too big to move,if it is,then you could as well use a post or makiwara.
Just my opinion.

apoweyn
11-26-2002, 12:25 PM
bah, that's nothing. i've got a heavy bag filled with broken glass, several humboldt squids, and a 1973 citroen dianne.

stuart b.

KC Elbows
11-26-2002, 12:34 PM
I'm actually in Apoweyn's heavy bag.

kungfu cowboy
11-26-2002, 12:48 PM
LOL!:D

apoweyn
11-26-2002, 12:52 PM
well, KC takes the prize again. LOL.

KC Elbows
11-26-2002, 12:56 PM
Help me.

apoweyn
11-26-2002, 01:00 PM
quiet down. i can't concentrate on my form with you screaming.

I mean, honestly, how am I ever supposed to improve with, "oh dear god, why have you forsaken me?!!" going on in the background?

struth, it's getting bad enough now that your pleas are drowning out my tape of 'eye of the tiger.'

stuart b.

KC Elbows
11-26-2002, 01:06 PM
"struth, it's getting bad enough now that your pleas are drowning out my tape of 'eye of the tiger.'"

:D

Arhat of Fury
11-26-2002, 01:10 PM
RD,

uuhh uhhhh uuhhh ohhh ohhh(insert Tim the tool man tatlors voice.):eek:

LOL

AOF

Royal Dragon
11-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Arhat of Fury,

Reply]
FINNALLY!!! Someone who understands me!!!!

"Your heavy bag is going to be bigger than Bob Sapp. "

Reply]
Actually not. You see metal saw dust is very dense, and even with 420 pounds, I still don't have enough to fill a standard everlast bag. It's going to take at least the full 550 pounds just to top it off. I may stop collecting it now, and mix some sand in it to top it off. These little bags are da.mm heavy!!! I almost can't picture all that weight in one single bag!!

straight blast
11-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Umm...40 kilos. Don't know what that is in lbs...?

Either way, too **** heavy.

WinterPalm
11-26-2002, 09:19 PM
I disagree with everybody who said not to hit it. Don't listen to them.
I think you should work up to it with your shins and fists and then go nuts! I would be afraid of anybody that could make something like that swing! In fact I wish I had something that heavy to hit, that would really train my sidekick!!

Props to you and your Super Bag!!

Serpent
11-26-2002, 09:42 PM
I've got all the members of Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse in my bag, jamming together. You can't get heavier than that.

SevenStar
11-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
I disagree with everybody who said not to hit it. Don't listen to them.
I think you should work up to it with your shins and fists and then go nuts! I would be afraid of anybody that could make something like that swing! In fact I wish I had something that heavy to hit, that would really train my sidekick!!

Props to you and your Super Bag!!

it would probably be the equivalent of hitting a tree, which as we know is not good. I bet you would fear tyson or any other powerful pro boxer hitting you, right? How about a pro thai boxer? They don't need a 550 lb bag to develop that power - it's overkill.

Royal Dragon
11-26-2002, 10:02 PM
George Forman is famous for hiting 500 pound sides of beef daily. it didn't hurt him none.

Also, even though it is looking like it willl be harder than "I" originally though, it is still softer (by ALOT) than a tree. remeber, what we are talking about here is just heavy dust, not a solid metal cylinder. Plus it will swing, a tree just sit there and does not give at all.

It is going to have the consistancy of sand really.

Besides, if it's too hard, I'm wrapping a piece of wrestling mat around it to ease it up on the ol' knuckels. The object is to learn to issue major force, not break my hand up.

I think it would be cool to be able to hit a guy Seven Star's size and move them with a singe punch to the sternum. Any thought's on that?

Serpent
11-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Yeah. If you hit a guy Seven*'s size, put your running shoes on first.

omarthefish
11-26-2002, 10:14 PM
Forget about hitting it ! How are ya gonna hang the d@mn thing?

Royal Dragon
11-26-2002, 10:23 PM
LOL on the running shoes thing!!!

As for hanging it, I'm gong to use a "Come along" to get it up. I'm more worried about the bag splitting open when I hit it to hard.:eek:

Qi dup
11-26-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
I've got all the members of Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse in my bag, jamming together. You can't get heavier than that.

HAHAHAHA! That's awsome!

SevenStar
11-27-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Yeah. If you hit a guy Seven*'s size, put your running shoes on first.

Ray Pina
11-27-2002, 07:28 AM
My bag is now about 12 lbs. A little heavier than I would like, but I'll just give it some time. :)

Royal Dragon
01-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, I now have 450 pounds of metal saw dust collected!!!!

Based on my rough calculations, it will just fill a 14 X 48 Everlast heavy bag :D

it looks like I will not get the full 600 pounds I was looking for, but then again, How would I hang it?

At 450, I can use a come along to hoist the bag into position.

The big Leather Everlast bag is about $150, so i'm going to get 2 of them. the first will hold the Metal Saw dust, and the second will go around it. I will adjust the outer bag so it gives support to the inner and take some weight off of the straps.

Serpent
01-01-2003, 09:33 PM
You're a nutcase!

Royal Dragon
01-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Hmmmmm, Nutcase you say?? Strange, but your the 3rd person to say that to me this weekend. One was all weirded out because I punched a steel collom with my bare fist. He seemed to think that was some sort of "Unatural" act or something. :D

At work I often punch the metal bench vise. It has a circular piece of flat metal on it about the size of a half dollar that makes a great target for building foucus, and I often give it a good blast when I walk past it periodically during the day, just to keep my aim sharp. Some people think there is something weird about that too, can you imagine that?:p

Serpent
01-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Whatever next?!

Some people will obviously never understand.

Oso
01-01-2003, 09:57 PM
"...I'm gong to use a "Come along" to get it up"

dre
01-01-2003, 11:35 PM
0ne hundred pounds.

Cipher
01-02-2003, 09:25 AM
If the average bag holds 80-100 pnds you may need more reinforcement than 2 bags:eek:

Let us know how it works as a training tool.

That may be a good tool for standing Iron Palm training.