PDA

View Full Version : strengthen fingers

iron man
11-25-2002, 08:53 PM
does anyone know any good ways to strengthen your fingers, i need to be able to do eagle claw pushups

Serpent
11-25-2002, 09:24 PM
So do eagle claw push ups. Even one a day is a start. There are numerous other grip exercises out there, but do the exercise that you want to do. If you can't manage one on the floor, do them against the wall to start with. When you can do a few, lean onto a table at about a 45 degree angle and slowly work your way up to doing them on the floor.

TigerJaw
11-26-2002, 02:54 AM
As well as following Serpent excellent suggestion you might also want to look into external Chi-Gong's which supposedly very good for that sort of thing.

Souljah
11-26-2002, 03:54 AM
the eagle claw push ups are probably the best for strengthening fingers, if you want one of the passive hand, wrist and finger exercisers MartialArtsMart does the eagle catchers for about $9.
I dont know whether theyr any good but probably worth the try.

Has anyone tried these?

anyway iron, check the link -

Eagle catcher (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/20-71.html)

sticky fingers
11-26-2002, 08:11 AM
Rockclimbing and bouldering.

It amazes me every time I see an advanced climber support his whole bodyweight hanging upside down with just his fingertips. Incredible strength those guys and girls have.
It is really fun and a great workout too.

finger pushups never did much for me. I found that they strengthened my joints and tendons but my overall grip strength did not improve much until I started rockclimbing.

eulerfan
11-26-2002, 09:33 AM
I'll tell you what I did. It took forever but I wasn't in any hurry. In fact, I really only half believed I'd ever be able to do them.

Every time I did push ups, I did them with my hand in that tiger claw position. I'd put as much weight on my fingers as possible but my palms were on the floor to carry the excess load.

It took about a year before I could do five consecutive push ups on my fingers alone.

Lung Hu Pai
11-26-2002, 09:37 AM
try plate curls or the eagle loops from ironmind.

www.ironmind.com

45degree fist
11-26-2002, 11:29 AM
I have Seen in books and old kung fu movies people shooting straight fingers into sand. I've never tried this bu it look effective

WinterPalm
11-26-2002, 09:12 PM
What are eagle claw pushups?

Ka
11-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Ways to strenghten grip
Rockclimbing what can I say its a superior sport!!
Chinups and dead hangs on hangboards(start climbing to find out what they are)
Squeezing things like the above suggested or Captins of Crush gripers which are the best.

omarthefish
11-27-2002, 10:39 PM
A question here. Why do you need to be ably to do these pushups? If it's for grip strangth, the climbing is probably a good idea as is various wrist exercises an so on. My grip sucks so what do I know.

I can, however do pushups using only the first 3 fingers of each hand. (1 thumb = 4 fingers) I use the pushups only as a test. I do them maybee once a week. I mostly use zhan zhuang to train my fingers.

Lowlynobody
11-28-2002, 05:02 AM
Claw bag, claw logs, claw pushups (ie have your fingers bent in the claw position) on a wall first, dynamic tension clawing in using just your forearm muscles and shooting your fingers back out into a finger strike, etc

Former castleva
11-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Direct strength training for fingers? OK.
I donīt know about push-ups,they would break my joints...at least in my present condition.
Be careful with strenuous finger training which may damage your fingers,such as striking something with them-meridian damage also comes to play.

Bucket carrying/lifting:
1.Get a few buckets and grab and hold them up as long as comfortable-repeat (quite simple,huh?)
2.Curl your thumb and fingers,and one by one touch the tip of your thumb with the tip of your finger,squeeze together for a second-move to another finger.
3.What others said about squeezing things,you can also use a wet towel or related object and squeeze it dry.
4.Hold your hand out with your palm open and fingers and thumb lined up (as in a palm strike) Then powerfully close your hand/fingers to a fist,with thumb covering your index and middle fingers (just like a closed fist strike)
Repeat rapidly for tens of times,which ever is comfortable to you (kung-fu exercise)
5.Do the same but instead of starting from an open palm position,form a tiger or eagle claw and move to closed fist (kung-fu exercise)

These should get you going,for sure there are other exercises but some of these are pretty good.
I did not take finger and hand speed and coordination into account.

Do not overdo.

:)

jun_erh
12-01-2002, 09:30 AM
eight brocade chi kung has strenghtened my hands and forearms a good deal. It's the 7th section mainly: You have your fist out like the end of a punch and you open and close your fist along with your breathing. It's hard to explain but you sort of puff up your arms like you were getting a shot. You do it with each hand to the front like 10 each then the same to the side then both to the side at the same time. It's not exactly what i'd call a fast method, but it is simple. The other 7 sections aren't bad either!

TzuChan
12-01-2002, 09:39 AM
I never had a problem, but I play intensive musical instruments, so that might have something to do with it. Anyway, just do one every 5 minutes, for 30 minutes, every day, after a week you should feel the difference.

iron man
12-02-2002, 12:13 AM
thanks for all the responses, i was unsure of how to start and how much work it would take